Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

thrips midway through flower :(

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
treesurgeon

Re: thrips midway through flower :(

Post by treesurgeon »

Chad.Westport wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 pm
Thats a bummer man. Clones are usually the culprit. In the past, I have set-up a little tote to put the small clone and a CFL light in, so that it has a quarantine station far away from the main tents. Dips are another good idea to do to a new clone when you bring it inside.

They aren't going to damage your plant per se, but they can vector disease and pathogens from one plant to another in the garden by the mechanism of chewing into the plants.

If this is an 8 week strain and you are on week 6, I'm kind of with Marcus on this one. Treat areas around the plant now, finish your cycle, you can do a pre dry soaking to try and wash off the bugs. But if you are only half way there...... might be time for tough decisions. The longer you let things go, the more advantage you give to the pest.

I would not spray ANYTHING on my flowers. I have compromised immune system, so I don't even play around with that.,

After you've harvested or decided to cull, then go nuclear on the room and don't expect to put any new plants in there for at least 3 weeks. You want to be able to kill an entire life cycle of these bugs. Meaning, when you are spraying for the adults, there are still eggs. Which will hatch after your spray, so you need to spray again to get them. Learn the reproductive cycle of thrips.

Also get rid of any soil, plant materials etc within your grow. Really do a good job of spraying the cracks and corners.
Fortunately it's a 10 week strain, another couple are 11 weekers too. I'm going to try spraying the leaves and do my best to avoid the buds. Also got blue stickies on the way (although, i'm yet to see any adults - it's been two weeks so I suspect they're not far off).

At present it's only gone as far as the two plants closest to the tent door, only a matter of time before they spread mind.

If it's any conciliation I've just bought my own place so I'll probably bin this tent and start completely over there, with seeds not clones :roll eyes:

Thanks again!

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Treesurgeon you got any pics of the damage to the leaves?

treesurgeon

Post by treesurgeon »

kbag wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:36 pm
Treesurgeon you got any pics of the damage to the leaves?
I sure do but I've forgotten how to upload them, ha!

treesurgeon

Post by treesurgeon »

ImageImage

treesurgeon

Post by treesurgeon »

Figured it out :P

treesurgeon

Post by treesurgeon »

seymore_budz wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:52 pm
You can use those pyrethrin smoke bombs but they only seem to knock em back for a few weeks. Spinosad is safe to spray but it can also encourage mold later in flower. You have to weigh up risk over reward.
I can use the pyrethrin bomb with five weeks to go until harvest? I'll give that a try if so! :suicide:

Post by Guest »

I used a mix of apple cider vinegar with the mother and a little bicarbonate of soda on my plants last time which had broad mites. They did die off eventually.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
FX (Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

treesurgeon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
You can use those pyrethrin smoke bombs but they only seem to knock em back for a few weeks. Spinosad is safe to spray but it can also encourage mold later in flower. You have to weigh up risk over reward.
I can use the pyrethrin bomb with five weeks to go until harvest? I'll give that a try if so! :suicide:
For sure they break down pretty fast. You can use them safely right up to around 10 days before harvest.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
treesurgeon (Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

treesurgeon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:52 pm
Captain Beefheart wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 pm
oh btw at least your dope will snap crackle + pop :puff puff:
Is this true :P will it actually cause the smoke to pop?
aye when ya lunging on the dead fukas, that get stuck in the flowers amongst the sticky resin it will go pop every now and thenbut i`d call it adding a bit of body to the taste. :puff puff:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
treesurgeon (Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:29 am) • FX (Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm) • Guest (Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 pm)

treesurgeon

Post by treesurgeon »

seymore_budz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:20 pm
treesurgeon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:17 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
For sure they break down pretty fast. You can use them safely right up to around 10 days before harvest.
no lingering taste or browning pistils? gonna purchase a couple i think (Y)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”