LED v HPS Review - Invisible Sun LED UK

Cannabis grow equipment and product reviews
Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I've been a HPS grower for many years. I tried many of the "Blurple" type LED grow lights years ago from budget to expensive and found they were lacking when compared to HPS in both quality and yield. I moved my way through different types of HID grow light shades until I settled on the parabolic shade. This in my experience was the best style of light to grow cannabis. I started to see new white type LED grow lights being used but after wasting so much money in the Blurple days and always going back to HPS as nothing seemed to come close I figured I'd stick with what I knew worked, if its not broke don't fix it.

Invisible Sun LED kindly gifted me a prototype version of their latest F Bar LED grow light. The issue for me until this point was to cover a 1.2 x 1.2m area with these new lights it would have been expensive and I'd been burned with the first generation of LED Blurple lights. Being gifted a light capable of covering the area I grow in I figured I had nothing to loose. Massive thank you Invisible Sun.

I've now used these lights for 2 full grows. The interesting part is I grow in a 2.4 x 1.2 grow area so I used the 480w LED on 1 half and my old faithful 600w parabolic grow light on the other. Id seen some growers on the forum using Invisible Sun with amazing results before this but in my mind 480w of LED was never going to compete with a 600w HPS.

Having now done 2 grows, on both I used the same strain on both sides of the tent I can say I'm a LED convert. I didn't think I'd ever be looking to completely turn my back on HPS but after the results of the last 2 grows its obvious to me that there is a huge difference in both quality and yield.

The 2 strains and results I've had using the ISH F Bar prototype system v my HPS Parabolic reflector.

Glueberry OG by Dutch Passion:

LED covered area 19oz. 1.10 GPW.
HPS covered area 15oz. 0.7 GPW.
8 plants, 4 under each light.

Critical by Dinafem Seeds:

LED covered area 32oz. 1.86 GPW.
HPS covered area 24oz. 1.12 GPW.
8 plants, 4 under each light.

Yield was not the best benefit I had growing under this LED v HPS. The smell and general health of the pants themselves was a massive improvement. The plants under the LED carried a deeper more delicate aroma profile both before and after harvest. Resin production was also more under the LED compared to the HPS. For me the days of HID lighting are numbered, not something I thought id ever say. LED is more efficient, lower cost to run per area and produce a better quality end product.

Below is the Critical grow. This was the big eye opener for me. Both the LED and HPS sides looked even through veg and early flower. The real difference can one mid flower kicked in. The HPS side looked bigger but up close I could see the real difference was the structure of the buds. The LED side were far tighter in structure and as mid flower came and went the difference in trichome production and smell was miles apart.

(Dinafem Critical. Invisible Sun LED v HPS review)

(DInafem Critical grown under Invisible Sun LED review)

(DInafem Critical grown under Invisible Sun LED review)
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 11):
Treetrunk (Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:55 pm) • IMO (Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:05 pm) • MrNice (Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:09 am) • 2-Scoops (Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:53 pm) • Norseman (Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:02 pm) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:48 pm) • wutang (Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:51 pm) • MommaB (Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:30 pm) • Greenfingers (Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:02 pm) • duke (Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:32 pm) • Jayme Ream (Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:19 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: LED v HPS Review - Invisible Sun LED UK

Post by 2-Scoops »

That`s it then your a convert bro, they`ve really outshone the hps here in a big way . I`m still a caveman myself using hps. :roll eyes:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 pm) • duke (Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:16 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

Great review, thanks keeno.
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:13 pm) • duke (Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:18 pm)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

Yea leds are definitely better seen another guy do the same thing hps vs led same strains same nutrients same feeding cycle and the led out performed the hps
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:41 pm)

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations,

For me it was always meant as a hobby and yet in my location politicians somehow managed to even confiscate that, between 2 hypocrite alcohol TV adds... So i'm afraid there won't be a 2nd opportunity window this far in life, but i like to think that i might have benefited from the experiences of others otherwise. This is why my related questions will probably sound newbie but how does it make sense to install powerful lamps below unusually high roofs? Would it not be more rational to deliver/distribute such light sources closer to the leaves, e.g. with LED panels much closer, or at least some light-conducting fibers spread evenly to carry a plant's dietary photons without that much heat! Knowing that this light flux divides with distance squared...

Which should remind ourselves that a Grams-per-Watt scale doesn't actually only reflect lighting but also heating as well, hence why not even secondary energy recycling (turning heat into cold as in automotive refrigerators fuelled by an hydrocarbons flame), in a hopefully close future.

In any case i don't see glass lamps going to space as these are just too brittle, unless the glass is no glass and that heat is desperately needed elsewhere, etc.

Meanwhile how hard is it to distribute the spectrum as a couple dozen wavelength bands and test which bands are optional to a plant's good wealth?? Keeping in mind that LEDs have been around for years. While that shouldn't stop industrials to capture wasted energy nonetheless, using plain old water as a convenient carrier, etc. From where i stand (about a consumer's perspective...) it's like manufacturers keep copying each other, doing the same things again & again, trying to reach an elusive target directly. The brute-force style when those roofs are twice my own body height.

After all it's not the humans who require that light, only vegetal leaves do. In other words the square-law would apply in reverse if the light source were close to the plants instead of our heads: most of it going to vegetal energy conversion, a lot less to human skin tanning as under the real sun on a cosy beach!

M'well, that what my naïve moment for today. Apologies in advance, with all the moral support possible... You lucky people!

Good day, have fun!! Image
These users thanked the author Egzoset for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm) • 2-Scoops (Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:36 pm)
Vaporist of Borg.

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

P.S.: I like the watermark GR420 logo on signatures but i'm not too certain its dark spots on greens leaves were supposed to show up there.
These users thanked the author Egzoset for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm)

Mustang92

Post by Mustang92 »

those buds are fire mate !!!

I use both LED and HPS, i love my 1000watt HPS until i pay my hydro bill or need to buy new bulb every year. i like that LED don`t bleach the buds like HPS if you go low on the canopy. i use to think my HPS had way more spill over light but after reading i may have to change my mind. the LEDs are way better now and they finally stop going krazy with too much red in the LEDs and screwing with canopy temps. in the end my thinking is a good LED should last at least 10 years instead of buying 10 HPS bulbs every year$$ so it makes dollar$ and cent $ to go LED at some point.

thanks mate very nice write up cheers and happy growing :roll:
These users thanked the author Mustang92 for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 pm) • Egzoset (Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:16 pm) • 2-Scoops (Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:35 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Egzoset wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:01 pm
Would it not be more rational to deliver/distribute such light sources closer to the leaves, e.g. with LED panels much closer, or at least some light-conducting fibers spread evenly to carry a plant's dietary photons without that much heat!
I don`t know what photons are really but know it`s to do with light. But yes I'm all for getting light as close as possible when plants are in full bloom without that causing any problems that may occur but prolly won`t. Be that led or hps, i don't go for "but its bleaching this that and other on plant" its a weed plant hardy as feck to max, "more light = more weed" is what i say, call me old school i am. Seriously thinking of giving led another go for umpteenth time after reading about Keeno`s results here though .
Egzoset wrote:
Which should remind ourselves that a Grams-per-Watt
Very much misleading i think is the grams per thing, i just wanna know how much weed I've got at end of shift. Lots of different things to factor into grams per watt, space is a big thing in that me thinks.
Egzoset wrote:
In any case i don't see glass lamps going to space
Space my arse. Lets look after what we got instead of spending billions prolly trillions by now faffing around kidding ourselves, yes maybe one day, but lets save what we got first hey. That said im a Trekkie fan Star Wars is shit. Beam me up Scottie :lol:
Egzoset wrote:
Keeping in mind that LEDs have been around for years.
Egzoset wrote:
They certainly have been around donkeys years now, but they have come a long way in last 15 years or so, but what i see now, they just jazzing same old shit up, "same but different" i love that saying. Same with purple led lights spec, peeps frown at purps led light, man some of best led and grows i see are blurple. I`m with you though on that yes.
From where i stand (about a consumer's perspective...) it's like manufacturers keep copying each other, doing the same things again & again,
Amen to that brother (atheist here but I'll just use that phrase cus i can and it seems fitting), for real its all about the money, but money makes the world go round in one we live and if ya can smash it making plenty then why not, good luck is what i say. Tis how most peeps roll these days without a thought for others, money orientated.

#pitch invasion Sunday night.

# football crazy

#pizza my arse

#bellismo my arse

#spaghetti hoops my arse

#alphabet spaghetti, you what

#it`s coming home

:Stoned:
Last edited by 2-Scoops on Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 pm) • Egzoset (Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:48 pm)

Paul_led
Respected Member

Post by Paul_led »

I love seeing stuff like this man. I was a convert from my very first grow way back when !
My first indoor grow I set off with 400w hps in a 90x90cm tent in the bedroom , the wife went bonkers at having a 37c bedroom in July lol so I splashed out on a Hydrogrowled 126w burple led from the states that cost me £499 plus postage !
Which I managed 5oz off of a Pineapple Express. So it deffo worked and no heat problems in the bedroom, since then I have about 6 led panels all working awesome and each one seems to be getting better has the tech and leds are getting better

I guess I should be trying one of these bad boys next

Paul
These users thanked the author Paul_led for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Paul_led wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:34 pm
I love seeing stuff like this man. I was a convert from my very first grow way back when !
My first indoor grow I set off with 400w hps in a 90x90cm tent in the bedroom , the wife went bonkers at having a 37c bedroom in July lol so I splashed out on a Hydrogrowled 126w burple led from the states that cost me £499 plus postage !
Which I managed 5oz off of a Pineapple Express. So it deffo worked and no heat problems in the bedroom, since then I have about 6 led panels all working awesome and each one seems to be getting better has the tech and leds are getting better

I guess I should be trying one of these bad boys next

Paul
Your led are exact same spec and parts you`ve got brother on led grow light menu, give or take more or less, i read the lm301h Samsung chip is exact same as lm301b, its all about the money mukka. Get it smashed with lights you got, really its same led lights man apart from cosmetics. So that said show us your worth an opinions on jobby, . :rock:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Keeno (Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 pm)

Return to “Product reviews”