Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Tap Water

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Tap Water

Post by seymore_budz »

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am
Thrasherdude wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:30 pm
To be honest I never let my tapwater go on roomtemp. Before I give it to my plants. Always cold water, contains more oxygen right? Warm water is a no go.
Nearly 90% of water is oxygen molecules.

I water at room temp, 20ish*C as cold water might shock the roots (cause them to contract etc), probably an old wives tale but it makes sense to me. :idn:
You're mixing things up mate by the sounds of it. Disolved oxygen isn't the same as the oxygen bonded to the hydrogen atoms.

But, it's still all bullshit in pots. You only need to worry in hydroponics. Under 18C, the plant starts to slow. I wouldn't go tip ice code water on them but I think the "shock" tail is bullshit :) DO drops off rapidly above 26C and is very low around 30C.

Here's a chart if you're interested.

DO will encourage aerobic bacteria and help keep root rot at bay though.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 am) • Tictok (Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Marcus wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:29 am
grumpygrower wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:27 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am

I water at room temp, 20ish*C as cold water might shock the roots (cause them to contract etc), probably an old wives tale but it makes sense to me. :idn:
You're mixing things up mate by the sounds of it. Disolved oxygen isn't the same as the oxygen bonded to the hydrogen atoms.

But, it's still all bullshit in pots. You only need to worry in hydroponics. Under 18C, the plant starts to slow. I wouldn't go tip ice code water on them but I think the "shock" tail is bullshit :) DO drops off rapidly above 26C and is very low around 30C.

Here's a chart if you're interested.

DO will encourage aerobic bacteria and help keep root rot at bay though.
Not mixing anything up GG.

In soil, coco - when you water you are actively pulling fresh (oxygen) air into the pots and dumping the stale air, that's why it's best to literally sling it in and let gravity do it's thing.

Cold temps on roots in hydro aint gonna be much different to cold temps in soil either. ?

Hydro is a different matter, this thread is about ph 7.5 water in soil. :idn:
For sure, I was responding to this statement as I thought it could be misleading.
I completely agree, DO is not much of a comcern when growing in pots. I think people overthink the water temps when growing in pots. As long as it's not boiling or frozen, you ain't going to notice much difference. That's the whole point in growing in media right? So you don't have to worry about these issues.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 3):
Dex (Thu May 21, 2020 10:35 am) • Tictok (Thu May 21, 2020 7:34 pm) • Thrasherdude (Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 pm)

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Some fantastic info here and i fibally understand what the F this DO means now lol sorry for jot contributing much but great replies
These users thanked the author Dex for the post (total 2):
seymore_budz (Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 pm) • Thrasherdude (Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 pm
jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm
Have you thought about bumping up the microlife in your soil if growing organically ? Maybe that has summink to do with it cus ferts and organic stuff your using needs to be broken down before its usable by plant and tis microlife that does this and it maybe nothing to do with the water, just a suggestion. Possibly switching to mineral based ferts all together.
Would be a keen thing to look into if I need to use strict mineral baded nutes and not salt based ferts. I still havent ec checked the tap

I didnt buy any decent soil tho either. Just some cheap shit from Schultz thats already fertilized. The next potup will go into some foxfarm hopefully
Thats what i meant really Martin i shoulda explained myself better, chemical salt based minerals which are the synthetic man made kind.
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:55 pm
Mafoo.Martin wrote:
jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:09 pm
Have you thought about bumping up the microlife in your soil if growing organically ? Maybe that has summink to do with it cus ferts and organic stuff your using needs to be broken down before its usable by plant and tis microlife that does this and it maybe nothing to do with the water, just a suggestion. Possibly switching to mineral based ferts all together.
Would be a keen thing to look into if I need to use strict mineral baded nutes and not salt based ferts. I still havent ec checked the tap

I didnt buy any decent soil tho either. Just some cheap shit from Schultz thats already fertilized. The next potup will go into some foxfarm hopefully
Thats what i meant really Martin i shoulda explained myself better, chemical salt based minerals which are the synthetic man made kind.
I fully understood ya buddy. One of these days Imma get to it. But seriously, my tap water is pH 9... anyone else dealing with this?

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 am
2-Scoops wrote:
Mafoo.Martin wrote:

I fully understood ya buddy. One of these days Imma get to it. But seriously, my tap water is pH 9... anyone else dealing with this?
I've read a few. If your water is that alkaline, it might be worth looking into a filter maybe? What does it read on a TDS meter? 9 woulf suggeat your water is full of crap :)

Neilw420

Post by Neilw420 »

I did my first ever grow with bottled water and had nothing but problems, now use tap water with no problems, just recently starting using the stuff to make tap water safe from ecothrive and not had one deficiency but I don’t leave my water to stand, does come from the loft tank though so not mains.
These users thanked the author Neilw420 for the post:
Tictok (Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 am)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Neilw420 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:25 am
I did my first ever grow with bottled water and had nothing but problems, now use tap water with no problems, just recently starting using the stuff to make tap water safe from ecothrive and not had one deficiency but I don’t leave my water to stand, does come from the loft tank though so not mains.
Yea bottled water is normally full of Ca, Mg and Na and isn't suitable for growing plants. The neutralise from Ecosys is asorbic acid (vitamin C). It breaks the bond between chlorine and ammonia so both can evaporate. It happens relatively quickly and they can both evaporate pretty quick too. I'm not 100% convinced it's a necessary step after doing a little research but it won't hurt anything.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post (total 2):
Neilw420 (Mon May 25, 2020 4:04 pm) • Tictok (Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 am)

Mafooo
Known User

Post by Mafooo »

grumpygrower wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:08 am
Mafoo.Martin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 am
2-Scoops wrote:

I've read a few. If your water is that alkaline, it might be worth looking into a filter maybe? What does it read on a TDS meter? 9 woulf suggeat your water is full of crap :)
Will be finishing that video u posted on water alkalinity this morning. Thanks I really need to get on this fixing my water issue. Its nuts here
These users thanked the author Mafooo for the post:
seymore_budz (Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 pm)

Neilw420

Post by Neilw420 »

grumpygrower wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:41 am
Neilw420 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:25 am
Yea bottled water is normally full of Ca, Mg and Na and isn't suitable for growing plants. The neutralise from Ecosys is asorbic acid (vitamin C). It breaks the bond between chlorine and ammonia so both can evaporate. It happens relatively quickly and they can both evaporate pretty quick too. I'm not 100% convinced it's a necessary step after doing a little research but it won't hurt anything.
Yea to be fair I was skeptical but used it for about 5 weeks and not had any deficiencies like normal but could be the new light aswell

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”