Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Would the real sunset sherbet please stand up...

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
Tictok
Known User

Would the real sunset sherbet please stand up...

Post by Tictok »

Hi All

As a newbie this strain business seems a tad complicated (but fascinating).

On a very rare occasion my street vendor provided some indica leaning sunset sherbet and for the brief period it was around it was great.

I was preparing the grow op at the time so jumped online to get some seeds of this strain. Seems just PhenoFinders seeds are the only ones to have them and they are feminised.

I got them from Grizzly Seeds who repackage individual seeds (I bought 2) but they seemed to have a good reputation so I'm believing them currently.

The goal is to grow the one I've popped into a mother and make some clones for a sog.

Some more research online showed sunset sherbet is a clone only strain and the chaps from phenofinders only have them due to finding two seeds from some bought in Spain from 2014!

So, does this mean;

If their original seeds were self pollinated is there a higher risk of hermies?

Does that even matter? Or should I have to be extra careful in not stressing the plant in case?

Would phenofinders have crossed their two seeds with anything to produce what seems like easily available seeds? Or just selfed them over and over?

Can they even call it sunset sherbet if they've done something different with the original seeds?

Fascinating stuff, which could all be irrelevant if the street vendor weed I had was from this same lineage as I know it was UK grown.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Tictok

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Would the real sunset sherbet please stand up...

Post by seymore_budz »

Tictok wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:57 pm
Hi All

As a newbie this strain business seems a tad complicated (but fascinating).

On a very rare occasion my street vendor provided some indica leaning sunset sherbet and for the brief period it was around it was great.

I was preparing the grow op at the time so jumped online to get some seeds of this strain. Seems just PhenoFinders seeds are the only ones to have them and they are feminised.

I got them from Grizzly Seeds who repackage individual seeds (I bought 2) but they seemed to have a good reputation so I'm believing them currently.

The goal is to grow the one I've popped into a mother and make some clones for a sog.

Some more research online showed sunset sherbet is a clone only strain and the chaps from phenofinders only have them due to finding two seeds from some bought in Spain from 2014!

So, does this mean;

If their original seeds were self pollinated is there a higher risk of hermies?

Does that even matter? Or should I have to be extra careful in not stressing the plant in case?

Would phenofinders have crossed their two seeds with anything to produce what seems like easily available seeds? Or just selfed them over and over?

Can they even call it sunset sherbet if they've done something different with the original seeds?

Fascinating stuff, which could all be irrelevant if the street vendor weed I had was from this same lineage as I know it was UK grown.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Tictok
I'm in the same boat as you Tictok so I don't know much. There are many ways someone could produce seeds from a clone only strain and the only real way to know is to ask the breeder how he obtained the seeds. I'm not 100% but I think most feminized seeds are produced by spraying with colloidal silver or GA spray to produce male flowers and pollen. I don't understand breeding but they may harvest the pollen and use that on another plant grown from seed to help with weaknesses that are exacerbated by inbreeding. I suppose that's the issue with seeds from self pollinated plants?

The other way it could be done is by tracing back the origin of the plant then finding something similar and keep crossing until you have a stable plant with the desired traits. I would guess that would be the more stable way to do it but there's all sorts of hurdles to jump to successfully produce something stable and with the same traits and not have wild swings in phenotypes.

Like I said, I'm new to all this so I'm going on what I've read and picked up in conversation over the years. It' 2019 so they probably got all sorts of fancy things they can do with DNA.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Sure, I'm guessing that was the process with CS etc.

In other news, I've just heard on a grow podcast that some strains are more susceptibletto her ming, even popular ones like girl scout cookies apparently. Sunset sherbet is a gsc cross so perhaps that's how the seeds ended up with phenofinders.

All interesting stuff and a distraction from waiting for seedlings to get into the veg stage!

Candyman
Has thanked: 0

Post by Candyman »

The clone has been floating around the uk scene a while now like many of the other clone only strains like Girl Scout cookies , Gg4 , gelato and mac1 and many more
The seeds found in the bud by phenofinder could have been cross pollination for all anyone no
Only the grower can tell that one or maybe it did self pollinate
There is another shop selling them I am sure but best bet would be to try obtain the clone going around the uk scene at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Candyman wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:44 pm
The clone has been floating around the uk scene a while now like many of the other clone only strains like Girl Scout cookies , Gg4 , gelato and mac1 and many more
The seeds found in the bud by phenofinder could have been cross pollination for all anyone no
Only can tell that one or maybe it did self pollinate
There is another shop selling them I am sure but best bet would be to try obtain the clone going around the uk scene at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, thanks candyman, that makes sense also and great that the clone exists in the UK.

I think the chance of me getting hold of a clone of anything is slim to none currently. Perhaps if I get a few decent grow diaries under my belt and build up some rep it might happen someday.

Back in the early 2000s I picked up an ounce of UK Cheese, best thing I'd ever smoked and it lasted months. I join this site only to see all that exo cheese being grown from clones! I nearly wept!

Lovely to see it though.

Misolo313

Post by Misolo313 »

Tictok wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:43 pm
Sure, I'm guessing that was the process with CS etc.

In other news, I've just heard on a grow podcast that some strains are more susceptibletto her ming, even popular ones like girl scout cookies apparently. Sunset sherbet is a gsc cross so perhaps that's how the seeds ended up with phenofinders.

All interesting stuff and a distraction from waiting for seedlings to get into the veg stage!
Ever since 1990 the susceptibility of plants to herm has dramatically gone up.

The problem IMO is great plants were sold commercially.
Sometimes seeds were found in pounds of SES. Fault on both sides.

Idc if it was NL in Mich or Wash. Dogbud, dogshit, Chemdog, or Triangle from CO, IN, or MA. Triangle, Bubba, the White,or Krippy from FL. Or is it Cali?

My point is whatever those initial strains from 85-92, and all the people who bought from seed catalogs, were highly hybridized.

Indoor growing grew as a culture, combined with the crossing of genetics from all over the world, places like Humboldt Co. And Eugene, OR. Maui and Vietnam. Panama and Miami.

500USD an oz and you find seeds.
Or take the bud and give it a new name. Even though all clones are from the same mom.
Some grower comes along and acquires both. He wants to cross The White with the Fire cut. Unbeknown to him one is an s1 and the other is the product of nanners hitting the plant next to it.
There was never a male.
He crosses those two with dreams of his own strain White Fire.

Little does he know the amount of recessive alleles he just copied.

It makes me sad honestly. I love Bubba Kush. Or so i thought. It could have been 88g13xhp or hindu kush. NL5 X lemon thai.

I die a little whenever i see Chem, SD, OG, GG, GSC.
Especially because those are all KNOWN herms.
Notice they get worse and more herm and disease prone by order of appearance on the market.
GSC and GG being the worst. So easy to make them pop a nanner and yet everyone has no problems selling feminised seeds.

Sorry for ranting. But its only going to get worse. Everybody wants to dust "feminised" pollen on every plant they have.

Everyday there is a new cookie strain.

**did not proofread**

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

im glad its not just me who thinks this.
ive just finished a grow, with some supposedly exclusive strains, you know the drill, anyway 4 of them hermied like a muvva fugga.
the seed banks dishing out these unstabilised garbage deserve to have their testes stood on.
ive also run sunset sherbet from seed. wasn't impressed, its probably no nearer sunset sherbet than skunk#1.

Im going back to IBLs and stable genetics, this nonsense has to stop, its everywhere and like you say, new cookie s trains every week, not to mention alien triangle, gelato, sorbet, wedding cake etc etc.

Don't believe the hype.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Blue cheese ftw 😂😂😂
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 am
Don't believe the hype.
I fully agree..I've tried lots of different names which I can't even remember ....and I can think of them whilst smoking them is... wtf?? It's worse than a candy shop when you open up a seedbank website..

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

stick with the classics I say.
blue cheese for the win aye nook.,

I remember when all this was fields (of weed) ha ha

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”