Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Would the real sunset sherbet please stand up...

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
Tictok
Known User

Re: Would the real sunset sherbet please stand up...

Post by Tictok »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:29 am
im glad its not just me who thinks this.
ive just finished a grow, with some supposedly exclusive strains, you know the drill, anyway 4 of them hermied like a muvva fugga.
the seed banks dishing out these unstabilised garbage deserve to have their testes stood on.
ive also run sunset sherbet from seed. wasn't impressed, its probably no nearer sunset sherbet than skunk#1.

Im going back to IBLs and stable genetics, this nonsense has to stop, its everywhere and like you say, new cookie s trains every week, not to mention alien triangle, gelato, sorbet, wedding cake etc etc.

Don't believe the hype.
This and all of the above is relevant. I'm running my first proper grow and when it came to buying seeds initially it was like a sweet shop. I'm all for diversity, but as a noob to growing I've concluded there is too much choice. Too many strains called different things that after research you find they are the same strain etc.

The ethics is also a minefield. Listening to interviews with breeders on The Potcast podcast it seems some have created really stable strains, spending years stabilising only to have other companies release poorly tested clones/seeds of the same name. It's a real shame and perhaps a overflow of the culture when everything was illegal.

I bought the sherbet because I vaped what I was told was sherbet, loved it, so bought some seeds. Fuck knows what I've actually got!

I agree in sticking to the classics and I hope my RQS NL reminds me of the stuff I smoked in the 90s.

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

it should be pretty close, but wont be the same as your 90s NL.
RQS strains are pretty good imho, ive done shitloads of their critical over the years and its as stable as a horses house.
Its easy grown too, you should try it out

Unfortunately the real NL, like many other classics -its gone now, from what research ive done, Dr Atomics NL is closest to the real deal, if you can find it.

And as for a lot of these new hyped strains from the states, it seems that hermies are to be expected as part of the deal. Me? id rather hold out for stabilised lines than grow a pack of 6 " gelato, sorbet whatever " somethings" and end up with 6 different phenos, all different, and if you are lucky, one worth smoking.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:26 pm
it should be pretty close, but wont be the same as your 90s NL.
RQS strains are pretty good imho, ive done shitloads of their critical over the years and its as stable as a horses house.
Its easy grown too, you should try it out

Unfortunately the real NL, like many other classics -its gone now, from what research ive done, Dr Atomics NL is closest to the real deal, if you can find it.

And as for a lot of these new hyped strains from the states, it seems that hermies are to be expected as part of the deal. Me? id rather hold out for stabilised lines than grow a pack of 6 " gelato, sorbet whatever " somethings" and end up with 6 different phenos, all different, and if you are lucky, one worth smoking.
Thanks mate for the info on NL, it's worth knowing. I noticed AK Bean Brains in the states has some NL#1 which might be worth a punt.

I am expecting the sunset sherbet to herm due to the GSC element, but we'll see.

In a podcast with someone in the ChemDog family, even they were saying that Chemdog has a risk if herming. It seems to be an accepted norm these days.

One thing I do have is 11 regular seeds of Bodhi's More Cowbell, which is a GSC forum cut crossed with 88G13Hashplant. I was after something with his G13Hashplant in it as it has a great reputation. I'm hoping Bodhi has managed to stabilise the herm element of GSC.

After that, I'm with you, it's going to be old school genetic searches from then on.

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

ive just finished a few of bodhis genetics, as a tester for them.
these were the white crossed with an old afghani.
I did 3 seeds. one hermied, one was pretty small and not a great smoke, but the 3rd was a belter of a smoke. rich tasty trich coated lovely. I tried crossing it with a big kush fem which I reversed, but my man was firing blanks, unfortunately - no seeds

its a bit of a lottery, but saying that - these were testers, so not released to the general public yet

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:36 pm
ive just finished a few of bodhis genetics, as a tester for them.
these were the white crossed with an old afghani.
I did 3 seeds. one hermied, one was pretty small and not a great smoke, but the 3rd was a belter of a smoke. rich tasty trich coated lovely. I tried crossing it with a big kush fem which I reversed, but my man was firing blanks, unfortunately - no seeds

its a bit of a lottery, but saying that - these were testers, so not released to the general public yet
That's very cool man, I'm going to struggle to find a keeper out of the 11 More Cowbell seeds in only two 60x60 (2ft x 2ft) tents but it's going to be fun trying.

Breeding is a totally different ballgame to me!

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Nothing worse than paying good money for seeds and then they hermie on you all that time and effort down the drain imo.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

kbag wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:09 am
Nothing worse than paying good money for seeds and then they hermie on you all that time and effort down the drain imo.
Being new to all this and forgive the stupid question, but what is the problem with herming?

If you have a female plant that herms and you just pick off the male parts or pinch out the nanners, does it go on to make less potent flower? Or is it that it's just a ballache to monitor and hunt out these things to avoid selfing?

I was always told that a seeded flower will be less potent because all the energy has gone into making seeds? Is this what we are trying to avoid?

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

In my experience Ticktok its just a ballache if early in flower. If its just a few seeds at the end tbh ive never noticed any difference in the potency. The last hermies i had was many years ago though. I have had a few Nana's at the end on a few but i think that is just where i have let the plant go to long and it is making a last ditch for life.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

kbag wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:40 am
In my experience Ticktok its just a ballache if early in flower. If its just a few seeds at the end tbh ive never noticed any difference in the potency. The last hermies i had was many years ago though. I have had a few Nana's at the end on a few but i think that is just where i have let the plant go to long and it is making a last ditch for life.
Thanks kbag, I figured it must be a massive pain in a large grow.

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”