Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

What happenes when cannabis gets too much light?

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
Bulls
Coco Grower

What happenes when cannabis gets too much light?

Post by Bulls »

Hello GrowRoom420!

We all know how important light is for cannabis and we know that the best weed grows under our very own Sun. So year after year light manufacturers been trying to make a system that mimics the sun or even improves on it if possible.

We also all know that more light means more yield. But when is too much? When are we giving. Nowadays new light doesn't mean too much heat. Just too bright. What do you think? Let's have a little discussion.. :puff puff:

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: What happenes when cannabis gets too much light?

Post by Nanook »

Haha I think I am about to find out how much is too much tbh
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Brilliant topic Bulls

imo you need to break it into growth phases

Starter plants from seed or clone really don't want much light 10w is more than sufficient to kick life off

Veg or established plants want more but it's still not necessary to over do it, 25-100w over 4 plants will still be more than enough

Flowering plants will want as much light as they can actually use and this is where we may see the use of CO2 packs coming into play with top growers and LED imo as in normal conditions LED light stress looks very similar to heat stress. This is something I'm looking to explore myself eventually

So in short, we may yet still understand fully how these new lights work with the metabolism of the plant and how best to supplement it. But that being said, for the moment, maybe just dim them a bit

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I think I might be sailing close to the wind here now. What do I need to look out for exactly?

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Nanook of the north wrote:I think I might be sailing close to the wind here now. What do I need to look out for exactly?
Purple stems, serrated edges pointing up and a look of general hunger/overwatering

I also find the leaves feel kinda thin like almost wilty but not, you'll know what I mean tho, this is generally later if not corrected

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I have to admit mine are drinking a LOT but EC is also dropping daily GMO. I might dial back my hps to 850w

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

With the above being said, there is definitely a desirable range when it comes to the amount of light a cannabis plant receives. Although that range varies depending on the type of plant (Indica vs. Sativa) and strain, most plant's ideal light levels fall into the range below:
Vegetative: 35,000 – 70,000 lux
Flowering: 55,000 – 85,000 lux

I think we've seen recent example with Nastyhabits_ , who had his young seedlings/cuttings under 915w of light(600 hps + 315 CDM).

When a cannabis plant is having its other needs fulfilled, being in the desirable light range means that it grows at a pace that isn’t slowed down by any factor besides its genes. A plant in light levels below this range will produce spindly stems and buds and just plain take too long to develop. Conversely, a cannabis plant getting higher levels of light than this range will usually experience nutrient problems, heat burn, light burn, or a combination of all three.

Markus is also right about the Photosynthesis. Cannabis plants take in more water and nutrients in bright light because of photosynthesis. But that's a another subject which is very closely related to the topic we're discussing :)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I think my canopy is all greater than 90000 ( as much as my phone measures ) and most has been for over a week now tbh. The outer edges were at about 45-65 hence me changing the outside lamps. The middle seems further ahead than the outside edges so is this the case with all light or certain types? IE hps, LED. etc

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Bulls wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:42 pm
Hello GrowRoom420!

We all know how important light is for cannabis and we know that the best weed grows under our very own Sun. So year after year light manufacturers been trying to make a system that mimics the sun or even improves on it if possible.

We also all know that more light means more yield. But when is too much? When are we giving. Nowadays new light doesn't mean too much heat. Just too bright. What do you think? Let's have a little discussion.. :puff puff:
surely theres a point where diminishing return comes on !!! or perhaps im crackers...but for me i like my bulbs to come in @ £1.50 a day the whole sherbang :laugh: thats my point where diminishing returns come in see. good luck atb :Stoned:

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

:idn: What do you mean captain ? I am struggling to undestand lol.
Are you on about how much you spend a day for leccy?

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”