Welcome to the indoor cannabis section. This section is here for you to discuss all the aspects of growing cannabis indoors. Ask any questions or share your knowledge on growing cannabis in a indoor environment. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

HPS Bulbs - Horizontal or Verical better for Cannabis Growing

Discuss growing cannabis indoors
Keeno
Site Admin

Re: HPS Bulbs - Horizontal or Verical better for Cannabis Growing

Post by Keeno »

I didn't want to go vertical for a couple of reasons mentioned above. First off heat, I was told over and over parabolic shades were as cool or cooler than my old coolshade, in my head this wasn't possible but I was wrong, I done know how it's as cool but it is, the shade is fine to touch even on 600w.

An other reason was height, these shades are big. But here I was also wrong. In a standard reflector a bulb on 600w needs at least a foot of room between canopy and light. The intensity of the bulb creates a hot spot directly under the light. This is not the case with a vertical bulb in a para, you can virtually sit the light on top of the plants in later flower. The light is evenly spread.

Lastly, for the reason above I could not see a parabolic being as intense and therefore as good at penetration for lower growth, my last grow saw me with some of the best lower growth I have seen on my plants and this was my first time using a parabolic.

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Hobbit
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hobbit »

Keeno wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:11 am
I didn't want to go vertical for a couple of reasons mentioned above. First off heat, I was told over and over parabolic shades were as cool or cooler than my old coolshade, in my head this wasn't possible but I was wrong, I done know how it's as cool but it is, the shade is fine to touch even on 600w.

An other reason was height, these shades are big. But here I was also wrong. In a standard reflector a bulb on 600w needs at least a foot of room between canopy and light. The intensity of the bulb creates a hot spot directly under the light. This is not the case with a vertical bulb in a para, you can virtually sit the light on top of the plants in later flower. The light is evenly spread.

Lastly, for the reason above I could not see a parabolic being as intense and therefore as good at penetration for lower growth, my last grow saw me with some of the best lower growth I have seen on my plants and this was my first time using a parabolic.
Agree
Agree
Agree
Keeno ive seen guys cut em down and bang 1000 watters in them and get them extremely close. Some of the guys im thinking you would know if ya think back . I had all the same suspicions as you. like you i ws wrong wrong and wrong again. I did say earlier that it runs cooler than my coolhood, thinking back thats not true but it was within a degree of my cool hood, but the spread was sooo much better and as you say lower density and can get it much closer. My cool hood had so many hot spots and bugger all spread.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Wizardsbrew wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:09 pm
i cant say much to compair othe then with my parabolic im loosing at least 4 inches of tent hight because of how the socket is mounted vertical where ya can lift a normal reflector higher , it does give a very good spread of light tho
Thats the very reason i was choosey with which para i went with in the end i spent only a couple of quid extra for a better shade where the bulb mounting atop the shade iis only 3-4 inches i believe its made by Maxibright but not sure which model although i found with my filter positioning i actually need and extra inch or so for an even more snug fit but when i re build my Groom this time round I'm going to alter a few things for sure
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Vertical is better than horizontal due to the heat distribution not being directed downwards directly at the plants like a horizontal bulb and reflector does. 18" is the minimum recommended height for a 600w horizontal lamp and 10" for a vertical if memory serves me correct. The adjuster wing shade i have allows me to get slightly lower by adjusting the wings outwards. The parabolic is a great shade especially for a 1.2m x 1.2m tent.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

What a brilliant thread! It's really helped me understand the different between the two

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Timothyvieni
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HPS Bulbs Horizontal or Verical better for Cannabis Growing

Post by Timothyvieni »

Indica is usually the quicker flowering of the two. Sativa can flower for much, much longer on the finish. What are you growing?

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

ive got my 400 HID horizontally,i find its personal choice + the space thats to be lite all different,in my chamber vertical would not suffice me,i find a much better spread horizontal than vert for me see,these are day 10 of veg under a 400 dual spec bulb. :Stoned:

Return to “Indoor Cannabis Growing”