Welcome to the Cannabis Germination & Propagation section. In this section you can find information and ask questions regarding the germination of cannabis seeds as well as propagation and the different techniques use to germinate cannabis seeds. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How do you germinate seeds?

A place to get info and discuss germination of cannabis seeds
Wizard
Respected Member

Re: How do you germinate seeds?

Post by Wizard »

i soak em in tap water, no letting it set , just straight outa the tap in a glass , pop in a few seeds , i wait no more then 24hrs for them to split , then in a tupperware container in the same water they soaked between paper towel,, also i try to use the brown napkins rather then white (bleaced) , ill let the tap root grow about 1/8 inch before putting into medium
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post:
Minty (Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:49 pm)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

I stick them between a wet paper towel in a plastic container with lid on in a dark kitchen draw.

Once they are sprouting and showing first root, i get a piece of clean card fold in half to use as kinda DIY tweazers for picking seeds up which i drop into root riot cubes or coco pellets whatever is at hand basically, I pop the seeds lets say 5mm deep.

Iff stuff needs wetting i just use plain water that`s not been ph`D until i see a plant above ground. .

Jobs a good en for me. :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Minty (Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:50 pm) • JJ (Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm
Thank you for all the replies. The paper towel method seems to be the favourite here. I just didn't dare last time as I was too frightened of damaging the tap root when planting into the peat.

I did notice the ones that were closer to the surface of the peat were a few days faster than the rest. I might give the paper towel method a try.

Anyone using mycorrhizal or tricaderma when transplanting the rooted seed?
I use root riot cubes and an impliment ( usually a key or something close to hand ) to make the seed hole larger and feed the taproot in :)
Broke one out of a few hundred :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

i soak tissue paper with a mild bleach solution then place the seed`s within the tissue,then bag them nice and dark a ziplock bag will do,stuff them in a warm dark place i use the boiler cupboard works great,open the bag daily and check them usually within 72 hours they popped some can be stubborn and take a bit longer,but if after 10 days no show i sling them in the bin. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
Minty (Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:51 pm)

Toad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Toad »

I have read alot about PH does the water PH make any difference?

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Toad wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 am
I have read alot about PH does the water PH make any difference?
I wouldnt think so buddy, unless its insanely out at like 8-9 or like 3-4. tap water is safe to drink and wash in. itll do fine on seeds
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

Plastic tub with a lid and tissue paper i have found the most reliable way of germinating seeds. I also like to germ with temps from 22-26c.

Canna CannEhDianna
Has thanked: 0

Post by Canna CannEhDianna »

The most tried-and-true method I found was soaking overnight in distilled water, followed by germination in paper towels. Often the most viable seeds sink after being soaked overnight - any longer runs the risk of drowning the seeds. Drain the seeds in the morning and - with clean tweezers - seeds are transferred to moist (not wet) paper towels. I think of the towels as being like a sponge - I want a mix of both water and air. Adding darkness - I put mine between two saucers - and warmth - I used a seedling heat mat - and before I knew it, I found seeds turning into sprouts. Planted, the sprouts turned into seedlings...

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

I soak the seeds in RO water for 24 hours and then put them right in the soil. I cover the tops with some plastic cups, get the humidity up to 70ish%, temp to 78*-80* in tent, and wait a few days. So far I’ve had 15 of 15 pop. I’m definitely going to be changing it up and following some of the things I’ve learned in this thread in the future though. I feel like I’ve gotten lucky so far after reading this. Ha.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

grumpygrower wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm
Thank you for all the replies. The paper towel method seems to be the favourite here. I just didn't dare last time as I was too frightened of damaging the tap root when planting into the peat.

I did notice the ones that were closer to the surface of the peat were a few days faster than the rest. I might give the paper towel method a try.

Anyone using mycorrhizal or tricaderma when transplanting the rooted seed?
When my seeds has a decent tail poppimng out i then use a clean piece of thin card folded in half like tweezers, it never causes any dammage then, well it hasn`t here yet. :)

Return to “Cannabis Germination & Propagation”