Welcome to the Cannabis Germination & Propagation section. In this section you can find information and ask questions regarding the germination of cannabis seeds as well as propagation and the different techniques use to germinate cannabis seeds. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Old seeds - germination

A place to get info and discuss germination of cannabis seeds
wutang
Known User

Old seeds - germination

Post by wutang »

Hey all

I have some RQS seeds that are still properly packaged as well as others..they are probably 5 years plus old. I've noticed that germinating in jiffy pellets are taking around 10 days and sometimes more...so I get itchy hands and dig them up to check sometimes...then like the other day, I accidentally damaged a fine taproot coming out of it and now I think its dead anyway.

What do you guys do with old seeds, if anything different, to get them to germinate?

Thanks
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:40 am) • Mrs Beefheart (Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:44 pm)

Re: Old seeds - germination

Post by Guest »

I have stumbled across an idea recently while researching about something completely different.

Ethylene is one of the 9 phytohormones a plant uses. Now ethylene assists in seed germination which is why they use it when germinating banana seeds commercially, they put them into a gas chamber, or place a banana skin around it in a concealed area.

Also the peels contain the mineral phosphorus, which strengthens roots, assists with seed germination.

I was playing with the idea of either placing a small amount just under where to plant the seed in the mud, or place a small amount in with the seed into a wet paper towel. But this may cause anearobic conditions.

I may do a test on this.

I have tried using aloe straight from the plant but that doesnt seem to work in paper towels as well as I'd initially thought either.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
wutang (Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Cheers @DIY.Rik

I think I made a mistake with my last peat pellet...Once I put the seed in, it was either too deep or after I had put seed in, I poured more water over it which probably compressed the soil too much on the seed thus taking 10 days + for it to pop. Unfortunately I went to dig it out to check and broke the taproot. Sure shes dead now. In goes another and this time, no pouring water on top and dropping the seed in only 1cm and loosely covering it with soil over the top.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Guest (Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:59 am)

Post by Guest »

wutang wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:13 am
Cheers @DIY.Rik

I think I made a mistake with my last peat pellet...Once I put the seed in, it was either too deep or after I had put seed in, I poured more water over it which probably compressed the soil too much on the seed thus taking 10 days + for it to pop. Unfortunately I went to dig it out to check and broke the taproot. Sure shes dead now. In goes another and this time, no pouring water on top and dropping the seed in only 1cm and loosely covering it with soil over the top.
I coudln't get on with those. I did try the riot cubes, they were pretty good, just a pain having to buy them and at 6 quid a pack aren't as cheap as the jiffy's.

I generally go straight into my soil, in small pots for photo's and into final pot for auto's.

Good luck :oik!:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
wutang (Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:59 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:46 am
I have stumbled across an idea recently while researching about something completely different.

Ethylene is one of the 9 phytohormones a plant uses. Now ethylene assists in seed germination which is why they use it when germinating banana seeds commercially, they put them into a gas chamber, or place a banana skin around it in a concealed area.

Also the peels contain the mineral phosphorus, which strengthens roots, assists with seed germination.

I was playing with the idea of either placing a small amount just under where to plant the seed in the mud, or place a small amount in with the seed into a wet paper towel. But this may cause anearobic conditions.

I may do a test on this.

I have tried using aloe straight from the plant but that doesnt seem to work in paper towels as well as I'd initially thought either.
I used to do this trick many moons ago when using reg beanz, the ethylene gas (pgr) helps create more fems. Basically i just slung a banana skin in propergator with newly planted reg beans for a few weeks. Feck knows if it ever helped twas just an old ninja style tip i picked up along the way. Cool stuff Rik. :thanks:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
FX (Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:17 pm) • Guest (Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:15 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Post by Guest »

2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:50 pm
I used to do this trick many moons ago when using reg beanz, the ethylene gas (pgr) helps create more fems. Basically i just slung a banana skin in propergator with newly planted reg beans for a few weeks. Feck knows if it ever helped twas just an old ninja style tip i picked up along the way. Cool stuff Rik.
Nice one.

It's surprising how these hormones get about! :lol:

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:17 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:50 pm
I used to do this trick many moons ago when using reg beanz, the ethylene gas (pgr) helps create more fems. Basically i just slung a banana skin in propergator with newly planted reg beans for a few weeks. Feck knows if it ever helped twas just an old ninja style tip i picked up along the way. Cool stuff Rik.
Nice one.

It's surprising how these hormones get about! :lol:
Yes for sure theirs some real potions for plants in general from a wide scale of different products. Not exactly hormones but i was doing some reading up about covid19 yesterday and i came across peeps (a science/Doc type dude) shouting out for a product called ivermectin as a cure, I'm talking this top dude was doing tests with it late last year to half decent results. But man I'm pretty sure its used for bugs like mites and lice on horses, pigeons, pets, etc tis a product called Harkers Harka Mectin. But yes long story short I've seen it used numerous times to good effect for fighting spider mites successfully although you would never know that unless you knew a few peeps using it that way. Well kinda not know cus it comes from a wide range of drugs called averrmectins of which abarmectin is another one used as a one of systemic persticide treatment that kills all bugs pesticide, used usually in veg. Very nasty harsh stuff tbh but ideal for wiping shit out sharpish whilst plants are still vegging away and no more faffing around fighting mites constantly throughout the grow. Not good for wildlife like bees one bit. Fucking rambling off topic again here i am but i thought i`d mention it what with you being a DIY dude type person, enough said on it anyhow. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Guest (Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:31 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Germination & Propagation”