camera picture metadata

A place to discuss growing security
flip
Known User

Re: camera picture metadata

Post by flip »

I got concerned and deleted the photos I uploaded!
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

roflmfao, you can check by re-downloading and checking the info. As I say, the site/extension should be scrubbing them, but its best to also remove your own and be safe :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Sorry if i have scared all you guys just thought every one should know

also the pigs cant hack certain Iphones the newer ones

may put some of you at ease if an apple lover for your phones

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Dont kid yourself, if someone wants into something they will get in.

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Nanook

I was at jury service in december i wont go into too much detail but the guy in the case was dealing but one reason they could not prove he was dealing was they could not get his phone records of the phone etc
He had an Iphone which they couldnt unlock for evidence

Can the police hack an iPhone?

Modern iPhones have very high levels of security. The information on them is encrypted so it is almost impossible to access the information stored in iPhones without the relevant PIN or password.

However, there are two potential ways that the police can try to “hack” into an iPhone if they don’t have a PIN or password.

The first is known as “brute-force” hacking. This involves trying to guess the PIN through a process of trial and error. The police have access to software which can cycle through every possible combination of numbers, trying each combination as a possible PIN.

This is a very slow process and will generally only be successful if the PIN is relatively simple (e.g. a four-digit PIN with repeated numbers). In order to speed up this process, the police often try to figure out more likely PIN possibilities from any personal information they have about the owner of the phone. For example, important dates such as the owner’s birthday or birthdays of family members, if they are known to the police, will likely be tried first as PINs.

The best way to protect against brute-force hacking is to use longer PINs or passwords (at least six digits) and not to use any obvious combinations of numbers.

Secondly, security or technology companies sometimes claim to have identified a weakness in iPhone security software. Some such companies have sold software to police and intelligence services which allegedly exploits these weaknesses so as to allow the user to “hack” iPhones.

However, these weaknesses are usually identified and corrected by Apple in future software updates. This means that the effectiveness of any such security software is short-lived. Also, such software is invariably extremely expensive. This means that most police forces do not have access to the software, and it is unlikely it would be utilised in a “straightforward” case of possession with intent to supply drugs due to the costs involved.

The end result is that, so long as you do not use a simple of obvious PIN or password for your iPhone, it is very unlikely that the police can hack into it.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

TTL11 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:46 pm
You can also screenshot your picture before you post them.
This is what I do but would much rather know what is being used for the forum uploading as using just that would be so much easier and screen shots loose so much clarity etc.
Nanook wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:27 pm
I turn it off for pics and vids BUT the site should scrub also ( the gallery )
Test it and see :)
Hey Nanook, to fully trust this, I would rather check the source code myself if that is possible mate? Most php forums are open source. All I would need, is the exact version being used and it would ease my mind. Pretty sure if I did a follow up post it would ease a few other peoples minds as well.

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

You can also just not take, post, or send pictures of your grow or buds and whatnot if you’re super worried about legal repercussions. This all seems quite overboard to me. Did everyone just learn of metadata today?
These users thanked the author TTL for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Tue May 12, 2020 11:49 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

TTL11 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:16 pm
You can also just not take, post, or send pictures of your grow or buds and whatnot if you’re super worried about legal repercussions. This all seems quite overboard to me. Did everyone just learn of metadata today?
Fair point, but you know what it is like. We have very few people to talk to about this hobby so posting pics is a must especially when asking for advice etc. To be honest, I don't really care that much, if I get locked up for growing a plant so be it. Shit happens and that is the risk you take.

Done right, it's less risk than buying street weed in my head.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Good morning everyone. Just to clarify that our gallery automatically strips down all metadata from the photos and also resizes them down. Considering that we are on a secure server using additional secure software and your account is password protected I wouldn't worry at all about posting photos on the forum. Our gallery is actually way safer place to store your canna photos than your phone.
If you're worried about your phone security you can follow a few simple steps:
1) Make sure you don't use auto log-in for website that contain your personal information
2) Make sure your phone is using a pin code with at least 6 numbers or best combination of numbers and letters. Remember longer the password, harder and longer takes to crack.
3)No tell, no smell, no sell!
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 5):
Point 5 (Wed May 13, 2020 7:39 am) • TTL (Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 pm) • MrNice (Wed May 13, 2020 1:36 pm) • Beef (Mon May 18, 2020 2:05 am) • Minty (Sat May 23, 2020 12:16 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

ever heard of anybody getting caught by the cops from their internet postings? for a personal grow?

nope neither have i so i don't bother about it, lifes too short.....
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 2):
Nanook (Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm) • ohlordyeah_420 (Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 pm)

Return to “Growing Security”