Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Will Lemon Juice Kill Micro life in soil?

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Tictok
Known User

Will Lemon Juice Kill Micro life in soil?

Post by Tictok »

Quick question.

Currently running biocanna Terra soil and the biocanna range of organic nutes.

I also use some malted barley flower when repotting and some mykos powder to help develop some life in the soil.

Just realised my tap water is 8.5ph so added some white wine vinegar to brung it down to 6.5 (this had a great effect on vegging plants).

Purchased some organic lemon juice thinking this would be a good substitute for the vinegar but then read that lemon juice will kill the microbial life on the soil.

Any ideas? Is this true? Or should I go and source an organic white vinegar instead?

I don't want to use PH Down as I heard this also kill microbial life.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post:
Guest (Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:15 pm)

Re: Will Lemon Juice Kill Micro life in soil?

Post by Guest »

Tictok wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 pm
Quick question.

I also use some malted barley flower when repotting and some mykos powder to help develop some life in the soil.

Just realised my tap water is 8.5ph so added some white wine vinegar to brung it down to 6.5 (this had a great effect on vegging plants).

Purchased some organic lemon juice thinking this would be a good substitute for the vinegar but then read that lemon juice will kill the microbial life on the soil.

Any ideas? Is this true? Or should I go and source an organic white vinegar instead?

I doubt the amount used to PH will make a difference. Now on my 2nd organic grow (2 running side by side at mo) and I've not had too many problems. A successful enough grow.

If you're worried try some raw/organic cider vinegar. If you leave that out in the sun, it will develop its own variety of nematodes. So will lemon πŸ‹ juice, just different. I've heard apple cider vinegar is less damaging to microbiome.

I PH from 8.5 to 6.8 on my grow using both.

I worried over this too and it was all for nothing lol. So chill 😌 πŸ˜‰
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 3):
slimsantana (Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:43 pm) • Tictok (Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:51 pm) • Minty (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

DIY.Rik wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:48 pm
Quick question.

I doubt the amount used to PH will make a difference. Now on my 2nd organic grow (2 running side by side at mo) and I've not had too many problems. A successful enough grow.

If you're worried try some raw/organic cider vinegar. If you leave that out in the sun, it will develop its own variety of nematodes. So will lemon πŸ‹ juice, just different. I've heard apple cider vinegar is less damaging to microbiome.

I PH from 8.5 to 6.8 on my grow using both.

I worried over this too and it was all for nothing lol. So chill 😌 πŸ˜‰
Nice one, many thanks. Back to chilling! :thanks:
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Guest (Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:00 pm) • Minty (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 am)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

As DIY.rik said the amounts used won’t have any meaningful effect I don’t think
These users thanked the author IMO for the post (total 3):
Tictok (Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:15 pm) • Guest (Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:00 pm) • Minty (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Microlife thrive at ph used for growing weed around 6.2 to 6.5, tis a reason theirs no need to ph your ferts iff your growing organically with a healthy living soil thriving full of beneficial microbes and also as well adding and topping up that life in form fert T`s that are used which should be full of i think should be full of the good aerobic beneficial bacteria`s, but yes basically they act as natural buffers and will buffer the soil environment naturally without needs for ph`ing.

But in answer to your question well everything you give will deplete the microlife owt from plain old water to yes a bit of lemon juice or vinegar or whatever you like, its just that it doesn`t effect it enough to wipe out the soil life on mass like a nuke would and before too long its thriving again and even more so iff you keep replenishing that life with organic T`s that are also full off bennies or microbes.

I`m no organic grower, it`s a very daunting thought in itself but tis how i see it going down in the world of microbes 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:19 pm) • Minty (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

2-Scoops wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:40 pm
Microlife thrive at ph used for growing weed around 6.2 to 6.5, tis a reason theirs no need to ph your ferts iff your growing organically with a healthy living soil thriving full of beneficial microbes and also as well adding and topping up that life in form fert T`s that are used which should be full of i think should be full of the good aerobic beneficial bacteria`s, but yes basically they act as natural buffers and will buffer the soil environment naturally without needs for ph`ing.

But in answer to your question well everything you give will deplete the microlife owt from plain old water to yes a bit of lemon juice or vinegar or whatever you like, its just that it doesn`t effect it enough to wipe out the soil life on mass like a nuke would and before too long its thriving again and even more so iff you keep replenishing that life with organic T`s that are also full off bennies or microbes.

I`m no organic grower, it`s a very daunting thought in itself but tis how i see it going down in the world of microbes 8-)
Nice one 2-scoops, great info. The reality is I'm no organic grower either and I'm a long way off from proper living soil. I hope the mykos and malted barley flour will give it all a boost and help with some sort of living life. PH is definitely king though, getting that right has been a lifesaver.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Minty (Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 am) • 2-Scoops (Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:41 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 pm

Nice one 2-scoops, great info. The reality is I'm no organic grower either and I'm a long way off from proper living soil. I hope the mykos and malted barley flour will give it all a boost and help with some sort of living life. PH is definitely king though, getting that right has been a lifesaver.
If you add a 2 tablespoons of unsulphered black strap molasses to 10 litres of those ferts and bubble it with a small airstone for a few days before feeding that, it will keep your soil healthy full of life, but it will come to life with aerobic microbes too as well as it feeding the goodies already in your soil as well, you`ll know this as it starts to throff up like a pint of beer, but yes in doing so it will help break down those organic ferts too whilst still in mix, basically a cheeky organic T mix possibly used once a week.

Don`t be letting those ferts stand more than 5 or 6 days though they will go off and start stinking up i think this is when anaerobic microbes kick into play although i might be wrong on that last bit, but anaerobic microbes i think are no good for your soil again not totally sure on that bit. I wouldn`t ph it either until your ready to feed cus it maybe bang on ph wise as microbes get to work, again though not sure about that bit, Lots of not sures their hey lol :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Tictok (Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm)

Post by Guest »

Give some insect frass together with the malted barley powder. The both work well together due to certain contents within both, kindly come from @GMO on 2nd episode of the podcast he's doing.

Also I would give too much mollases or rely on it to PH water. If you want to over do on that then use in in the last week prior to harvest.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:59 pm) • Tictok (Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:43 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

DIY.Rik wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:41 pm

Give some insect frass together with the malted barley powder. The both work well together due to certain contents within both, kindly come from @GMO on 2nd episode of the podcast he's doing.

Also I would give too much mollases or rely on it to PH water. If you want to over do on that then use in in the last week prior to harvest.
I think mollases will do very little used a week before chopping DIY Rik. What`s point adding it a week before chopping, by time its any good for plant to take up you`ll be chopping it down and that`s iff plant can actually take carbs up through roots it`s debatable, but it sure helps with microlife and if he used it once a week its gonna feed soil microbes and replenish them, well so i would think, ok i know you can overdo it and send all micro life in the soil into a feeding carb crazy frenzy so they become lazy, but do they really, cus ,lots seem to use the stuff in this way. I`m not totally sure but i really can`t see point using mollases a week before chop, surely theirs much more benifit to using it once a week ?

Post by Guest »

What I mean is if you add too much too early it doesn't do the soil much good @2-Scoops apparently from what my research has told me.

Some is good. But at the right time.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
2-Scoops (Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:00 am)

Return to β€œCanna School for Newbies!”