Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

What medium or system is best for a first time grower

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Choosing the correct system or medium for a new grower is a bit of a minefield. They all have pros and cons and all can suit different growing styles and needs. I'll try to cover the different options and my thoughts on each.

We will start with what the main types of growing mediums or styles are. There are many variants of each but as this is aimed at people just getting into growing I'll stick to the main uses for each. Soil, coco, and hydroponic.

I'm going to cover the basic principles behind the 3 main Growing methods below that effect a grower based on experience. Each is worthy of its own far more detailed article which I will cover soon.

Soil

Soil is what 90% of new growers will look at when getting into growing. A lot of people will not know of other options when first thinking about growing their own cannabis. For many it's the natural option as many people will have at least attempted to grow something before in pots or a garden. Soil is a very good medium to grow cannabis in. It's cheap to set up and it's what plants naturally grow in. With most soils/composts you can pop a seed in it and you are good to go. This is where the false sense of security comes into play and is the reason I won't be recommending soil as a good medium for new growers to grow in.

Soil comes with everything you need to get a plant started. The soil itself will contain enough food for a few weeks for your young plants. The issue is that you don't know how long the food available in the soil will last and this will differ from batch to batch of soil, even the same brand. Once this food starts to run out you will need to supplement the food within the soil using nutrients. Cannabis nutrients come in a wide variety of options which can further confuse matters. To be able to grow in soil you will need to be able to read a plant and adjust your feed to suit the plant's needs. This will differ from strain to strain to. So you have a substrate that's not the same each time you use it, a range of nutrients that will need adjusting to suit your plant and plants that will require different levels of feed.... Add in the fact that issues can take a while to show in soil and longer to treat and you have a recipe for a very complicated grow. I've often said a consistent soil grower is the best grower of the lot.

The puzzle with soil is that its alive itself and needs to be healthy in order to keep your plants healthy. This is a art in itself and can complicate the process of getting know your plants and reading them which is really what growing cannabis is all about.

Pros:

Cheap to set up.
Requires very little kit.
Readily available.

Cons:

Not much control.
Harder to treat issues.

Coco

Coco coir is the next step up into hydroponics from growing in soil. It is a hydroponic substrate in the fact it's a dead, inert medium to grow in. This means that coco isn't like soil, it's not alive and doesn't need to be kept a certain way to keep it feeding your plants. From day 1 you will need feed to feed your plants everything they need to survive. This is more work than soil but gives you more control.

The ideas behind hydroponic growing is that you are in control, you can adjust the feed quickly and see these adjustments at work faster. This can also work against you, while you can make changes and have your plants respond faster than in soil things can also go wrong faster. Coco is a happy middle ground between soil and full hydro as you can treat issues faster while having some buffer there as your roots are not sat in purely a nutrient solution.

As you are growing in what is a hydroponic set up, you will need more kit than growing in soil and it will take a little more effort to do so. As there is nothing in the medium itself to keep your plant alive. You will need to add feed daily once the plant is established.

Pros:

Much more control than soil.
Faster and more vigorous growth than soil.

Cons

More effort needed on a daily basis.
More kit and nutrients needed than growing in soil.

Full hydroponic

Full hydroponics growing is in a league of its own in several areas. Growth rate is much faster than the above 2 options and you have complete control over the feed your plants are receiving.

The main point to hydroponic growing in its many varieties is that you are putting your plants roots in direct contact with the nutrient solution they need. This solution can be tailored to different stages of growth very quickly and exactly how you want it. The downside to hydroponic growing is while you can change the feed and the plants response to it very quickly this also applies if things going wrong. If your pH is out, or feed is not right, your plant has zero buffer between its roots and the feed. This can cause problems very quickly and sometimes the damage is done before you have time to rectify it.

Growing in a full hydroponic system also requires a lot of kit and needs to be done properly. This growing style is more suited to experienced growers in my opinion and you need to be able to read your plants well.

Pros:

Fast vigorous growth.
Complete control over what feed your plants are receiving.

Cons:

A lot of kit is needed to do this properly.
Issues can appear fast and affect plants fast.

Conclusion

While the above descriptions are a basic outline of the different mediums and systems to grow your own cannabis they do define the basic principles of each and the pros and cons for what you need to know about each as a new cannabis grower.

Soil while seeming to be the easiest option is actually the medium that needs the most experienced eye when it comes to reading your plants. Things take longer to show and longer to fix and often issues will not display as what they are, more a combination of a few problems. A happy soil plant is as much about happy soil as it is a happy plant. A good consistent soil grower is the best of the lot.

Hydroponic growing is king of the 3 types of growing I've mentioned. Incredibly fast growth, 100% complete control. The issue with Hydroponic growing is you need all the correct kit and even then you can hit issues and fast.

Coco is a happy medium between the 3. While you do need more kit than soil its not as much as you need in Hydroponic growing. You have control of your feed with fast growth and issues are quicker to fix and diagnose. It's almost soil growing without needing to keep the coco happy, and almost Hydroponic growing but with a buffer between your roots and the feed.

Skills learnt growing in coco can be taken to any other medium or system and most importantly there is no better medium to learn to read your plants. Reading your plant's is the key to becoming a consistent and self sufficient grower.

A massive thank you to Momma B for her art work and time doing so. I've nicknamed this one "little man" and he will be used in lots of guides Image
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 12):
flip (Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:58 pm) • olmacca (Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 pm) • Treetrunk (Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:43 pm) • FX (Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:23 pm) • Joker59 (Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:24 pm) • Greenfingers (Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:24 pm) • Elijah Growz (Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 pm) • seymore_budz (Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:38 pm) • Nom (Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:28 pm) • TommyT (Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 pm) • Grandma1755 (Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:51 pm) • The Shanchez (Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 pm)

olmacca

Re: What medium or system is best for a first time grower

Post by olmacca »

I started on soil and moved on to coco now. Im still adjusting to the coco experience.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Keeno wrote:

Choosing the correct system or medium for a new grower is a bit if a minefield. They all have pros and cons and all can suit different growing styles and needs. Ill try to cover the different options and my thoughts on each.

We will start with what the main types of Growing mediums or styles are. There are many variants of each but as this is aimed at people just getting into growing ill stick to the main uses for each. Soil, coco and hydroponic.

I'm going to cover the basic principles behind the 3 main Growing methods below that effect a griwer based on experience. Each is worthy of its own far more detailed article which I will cover soon.

Soil

Soil is what 90% of new growers will look at when getting into growing. A lot of people will not know of other options when first thinking about growing their own cannabis. For many it's the natural option as many people will have at least attempted to grow something before in pots or a garden. Soil is a very good medium to grow cannabis in. Its cheap to set up and its what plants naturally grow in. With most soils/composts you can pop a seed in it and you are good to go. This is where the false sense of security comes into play and is the reason i won't be recommending soil as a good medium for new growers to grow in.

Soil comes with everything you need to get a plant started. The soil itself will contain enough food for a few weeks for your young plants. The issue is that you don't know how long the food available in the soil will last and this will differ from batch to batch of soil, even the same brand. Once this food starts to run out you will need to supplement the food within the soil using nutrients. Cannabis nutrients come in a wide variety of options which can further confuse matters. To be able to grow in soil you will need to be able to read a plant and adjust your feed to suit the plants needs. This will differ from strain to strain to. So you have a substrate that's not the same each time you use it, a range of nutrients that will need adjusting to suit your plant and plants that will require different levels of feed.... Add in the fact that issues can take a while to show in soil and longer to treat and you have a recipe for a very complicated grow. I've often said a consistent soil growers is the best grower of the lot.

The puzzle with soil is that its alive itself and needs to be healthy in order to keep your plants healthy. This is a art in itself and can complicate the process of getting know your plants and reading them which is really what growing cannabis is all about.

Pros:

Cheap to set up.
Requires very little kit.
Readily available.

Cons:

Not much control.
Harder to treat issues.

Coco

Coco coir is the next step up into hydroponics from growing in soil. It is a hydroponic substrate in the fact its dead inert medium to grow in. This means that coco isn't like soil, its not alive and doesn't need to be kept a certain way to keep it feeding your plants. From day 1 you will need feed to feed your plants everything they need to survive. This is more work than soil but gives you more control.

The ideas behind hydroponic growing is that you are in control, you can adjust the feed quickly and see these adjustments at work faster. This can also work against you, while you can make changes and have your plants respond faster than in soil things can also go wrong faster. Coco is a happy middle ground between soil and full hydro as you can treat issues faster while having some buffer there as your roots are not sat in purely a nutrient solution.

As you are growing in what is a hydroponic set up you will need more kit than growing in soil and it will take a little more effort to do so. As there is nothing in the medium its self to keep your plant alive you will need to add feed daily once the plant is established.

Pros:

Much more control than soil.
Faster and more vigorous growth than soil.

Cons

More effort needed on a daily basis.
More kit and nutrients needed than growing in soil.

Full hydroponic

Full hydroponics growing is in a league of its own in several areas. Growth rate is much faster than the above 2 options and you have complete control over the feed your plants are getting.

The main point to hydroponic growing in its many varieties is that you ate putting you plants roots in direct contact with the nutrient solution they need. This solution can be tailored to different stages of growth very quickly and exactly how you want it. The downside to hydroponic growing is while you can change the feed and the plants reponse to it very quickly this also applies to things going wrong. If your PH is out or feed is not right your plant has zero buffer between its roots and the feed. This can cause problems very quickly and sometimes the damage is done before you have time to rectify it.

Growing in a full hydroponic system also requires a lot of kit and needs to be done properly. This growing style is motre suited to experienced growers in my opinion and you need to be able to read your plants well.

Pros:

Fast vigorous growth.
Complete control over what feed your plants are recieving.

Cons:

A lot of kit is needed to do this properly.
Issues can appear fast and effect plants fast.

Conclusion

While the above descriptions are a basic outline of the different mediums and systems to grow your own cannabis they do define the basic principles of each and the pros and cons for what you need to know about each as a new cannabis grower.

Soil while seeming to be the easiest option is actually the medium that needs the most experienced eye when it comes to reading your plants. Things take longer to show and longer to fix and often issues will not display as what they are, more a combination of a few problems. A happy soil plant is as much about happy soil as it is a happy plant. A good consistent soil growers the best of the lot.

Hydroponic growing is king of the 3 types of growing ive mentioned. Incredibly fast growth, 100% complete control. The issue with Hydroponic growing is you need all the correct kit and even then you can hit issues and fast.

Coco is a happy medium between the 3. While you do need more kit than soil its not as much as you need in Hydroponic growing. You have control of your feed with fast growth and issues are quicker to fix and diagnose. Its almost soil growing without needing to keep the coco happy and almost Hydroponic growing but with a buffer between your roots and the feed.

Skills learnt growing in coco can be taken to any other medium or system and most importantly there is no better medium to learn to read your plants. Reading your plant's is the key to becoming a consistent and self sufficient grower.

A masaive thank you to Momma B for her art work and time doing so. Ive nicknamed this one "little man" and he will be used in lots of guides Image
Excellent I did one in soil and now onto hydro.
I'm using a Wilma with clay pebbles.
Got 6 inch roots hanging from 11 litre pots in 19 days.
A lot cleaner than soil as well with helps with my behaviours

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post:
olmacca (Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 pm)

The Daze
Known User

Post by The Daze »

Someday we hope to move to coco or hydro...all in good time.

Thanks for the newbies guide. Super helpful!!!
These users thanked the author The Daze for the post:
olmacca (Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm)
✨✨✨🌱🌱🌻💛🌻🌱🌱✨✨✨
we are on our way to growing beautiful cannabis
Be Well. Keep it Green. Blessed by Cannabis.
Our Current Garden:
NEW GROW SOON
|*Latest Grow Out*|

🌈💚🌻🌱🌈

Joker59
Known User

Post by Joker59 »

I find for growers just learning the plant Soil or a soil mix is the way to go

It gives you what I call a buffer, before shit hits the fan. Miss a fed or water! Normally not a big deal, ph is a bit out of whack? Don’t stress you got time to fix that AND Aa decent workable PH range!

Soil can be complicated if you want it to be, but you can also buy something like Advanced Nutrients PH perfect and Just feed it start to finish!

You’ll hear lots of opinions tho! I’m a hydro and soil grower but soil has always had my heart :)
These users thanked the author Joker59 for the post (total 2):
Elijah Growz (Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:06 pm) • olmacca (Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:05 pm)
Just a Canadian Cannabis enthusiast🇨🇦 If you aren’t learning then what’s the point!?
“You may be Galileo, but your probably just wrong! “
“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it“ Evelyn Beatrice Hall.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=6271 Purple Orange (CBD+), CBDurban, Gorilla Zkittles, And more!! IG@thekidchronnabis

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Thanks for the guide, very interesting.
I already have my first grow in soil though, I may look at coir in the future though...
“Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice has preserved me from feeling isolated.” - Albert Einstein

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Coco bro

Im in soil and wish id switched to coco....................

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

I do disagree a bit about cost for Hydro.
You can make a Bubbler for about 25 quid.
A four pot Wilma is about 65.
Cheap on nutrients because of reuse.
I thought if I was going to learn might as well learn in a Porsche as a Mini.
I've got the Wilma and a homemade Bubbler going at the moment.
I'm using Canna nutrition and finding it needs little alteration after setting initial PH.
What ever you use I now see why people love this hobby.
I'm hooked.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post:
Herbalist (Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:27 pm)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

Loved reading this! Team coco
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

TheChef

Post by TheChef »

I started in soil now heading to hydro after 12 months. Soil has given me great results though as a beginner and gives more room for error than my dwc buckets I have in the go

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”