Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Where to view tricomes...

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Tictok
Known User

Where to view tricomes...

Post by Tictok »

Ok, noob question #2548

I've picked up a mini microscope to view tricomes so I know when to harvest my autos.

I understand the concept of clear/cloudy/Amber etc. But the question I have is where on the plant is best to look so you get to harvest the best flower from the whole plant?

What I mean is if I just look at the top buds I'm guessing they will mature earlier? So should I be making a harvest call on the tricome state of the lower buds?

I really want to avoid the bagseed run I did. About 20% Amber on the top buds so harvested the lot and ended up with the rest of the bud too racy.

Is there a general rule?

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Where to view tricomes...

Post by Nanook »

I personally look at the top buds as they are the biggest and bulk of the harvest. You wont get them all identical so its always a mix. Top buds imho are the best for a couchlock, lower down ones usually give a head high this way - but thats just my experience :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

I check the bottom buds cos I figure once they are all mature the tops will be well matured

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Thanks both, I'll check top, middle and bottom and make a call on it!

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Viz wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:24 pm
It all depends on how you harvest too. But lets not overcomplicate stuff.

If you harvest the entire plant at once then you should check all three area's. If you only harvest that part or parts of a plant that are at the optimal stage, where you like your weed to be, then you only look at those bits of the plant that you are going to be harvesting. I harvest over a four week period by the way. I am busy writing up an article about the alternate strategies to harvesting.
Nice one, thanks Viz, that actually makes sense, I like the idea of a staged harvest. It does slightly complicate my initial theory of drying the whole lot in the same tent, but I could improvise a solution to that.

I'll look forward to your article.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

i dont do brown trich`s ever i take my dope when its mostly cloudy / clear .......but i lik being rocket man...... i fly fly fly :idn: i take my dope at its best not when the thc is degrading :oik!:

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

:puff puff: Intresting subject i normally look in middle :pass:

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”