Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How To Increase Quality And Yield Growing Cannabis

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Keeno
Site Admin

How To Increase Quality And Yield Growing Cannabis

Post by Keeno »

How to increase quality and yield growing cannabis

The age-old question... Unfortunately, there isn't a 1 line easy option for this in my experience, there isn't a magic bottle of nutrients or boost that's going to increase your yield by 30%. Many products will claim this is the case but it isn't the case. This doesn't mean you can't increase your yield by the above number or more. You can increase yields in what I like to call the "1%'s".

I'll focus on what I believe are the most important factors when it comes to increasing yield while growing cannabis.

Environment And Temperature

The single most important part of growing and increasing quality and yield in your plants is Environment. Yes, you cant grow without lighting or feed but the wrong environment will work against you every step of the way. Cannabis plants are happier at certain temperatures and humidity ranges. Very few growers are able to keep perfectly within these ranges consistently but trying to keep as close to them as possible goes a long way in terms of quality and yield. A happy plant is a healthy plant, a healthy plant will produce better quality and bigger flowers. It isn't as simple as just knowing the "correct" ranges. As a rule of thumb cannabis plants in veg like around 60% relative humidity, cannabis plants in flower should be kept much lower, 40% is a good number. Some strains will be happier or perform well at different numbers but the above 2 are good starting points.

Temperature is very important. Keeping your plants at optimum temperatures will mean they are able to do all things they need to to be good quality and productive plant.

A good starting point is 24c-27c.

Airflow

Good airflow is very important and having the correct equipment to control that airflow is vital. Temperature and humidity can be controlled much easier with the correct equipment. Fan controllers are a brilliant tool if used correctly but these can only be effective with the correct sized fans. Its better to be overpowered with extraction. A high-power fan can be turned down, a low-power fan cannot be turned up above its max setting. Extraction and intake fans are important but just as important is good air movement within the grow room. Plants are living things and need good air quality to thrive.

Lighting

Lighting is a bit of a minefield given the numerous options available. The most important part with lighting is that you need the right amount of correct lighting. You can certainly overdo it when it comes to lighting so research here is very important. There are many factors to the perfect lighting, for yield and quality the most important factor, in my opinion, is a good spread over your grow area. Having a very powerful light is great, but it will be at its most effective if you have an even spread of light over your entire grow area.

As a rule of thumb:

100w HID lighting per 60 x 60cm area for veg
150w HID lighting per 60 x 60cm area for flower
120w LED lighting per 60 x 60cm area that can be dimmed.

Making the most of your lights is a big part of increasing yield and quality when growing cannabis. Many lights available to us are intense where the light is hung but the intensity drops off as you move away from where the light is hanging. You may be getting double the light a plant needs directly under your grow light but well under the amount of light your plants can handle as you move away from the center of your grow room. A light that covers as much of your canopy with an even intensity of light is the best way to get the most from your light and growing area.

Read your plants

The simplest statement but it's true. It's easy to get lost in all the science and numbers out there when it comes to growing but your plant is more than capable of telling you if it's not happy or enjoying life. This becomes easier as you gain experience but it's not difficult to see if your plant is happy or unhappy and therefore know whether you need to act or not to fix an issue.

Training

Training your plants is in my opinion the best way to increase yield in cannabis. There are not many things more beautiful than a cannabis plant in a natural structure but unfortunately, cannabis left on its own isn't a recipe to get the biggest amount of flower. There are many training methods that can be used to increase yield and 90% of them are focused on getting the most coverage in your growing area. If you have a 1.2 x 1.2m growing area and are only using 60% of it then you are not getting the most from that area. In my experience, the most effective training method for yield is a scrog or achieving the flat even canopy in flower without a net. This plays hand in hand with the above lighting principle of having the right amount of correct lighting hitting every part of your canopy.

Attention to detail

I've not gone into feed yet as all of the above apply to growing in any medium or system. If you are in soil or coco feed at the correct times. Its easy to have a lazy day and not water/feed. If you have dead leaves under the canopy remove them, water spillage, get it out. I think every grower has these days but from experience, I know that in my style of growing which is coco if I miss a day feeding it affects the plants growth. Being consistent in all aspects if growing is vital if you want the most from your growing area. The most consistent growers that I've seen to the best numbers yield-wise are a perfectionist when it comes to attention to detail. Not a leaf out of place, no mess, everything on point.

Experience

Unfortunately, you can only gain experience by messing up. Every grow a grower improves. A master of their style will try something new, spot something in their setup that can be tweaked. These all add up grow after grow and make spotting issues faster and easier.

Summary

There is no magic bottle to increase yield and quality, no magic wand, no fast or easy way. But you can increase by smaller amounts by getting every aspect of your grow working as well as you can. These 1%'s all add up and you can end up surprising yourself with the quality and size of a grow when you get all the 1%'s working for you.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 8):
Nom (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:09 pm) • Jayme Ream (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm) • anova.330 (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:21 pm) • GMO (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:30 pm) • Norseman (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm) • Mafooo (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:41 pm) • duke (Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:08 pm) • GHO (Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 pm)

Jayme Ream

Re: How To Increase Quality And Yield Growing Cannabis

Post by Jayme Ream »

love it thanks so much
These users thanked the author Jayme Ream for the post:
Keeno (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:34 pm)

Norseman
Known User

Post by Norseman »

Great writeup @Keeno
These users thanked the author Norseman for the post:
Keeno (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:34 pm)
In the Silence lies the Power

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Can only learn from your mistakes! Every grow gets better :puff puff:
These users thanked the author Benjic93 for the post:
Keeno (Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:09 pm)

HaydenR4238

Post by HaydenR4238 »

Great read that mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author HaydenR4238 for the post:
Keeno (Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:24 pm)

Jayme Ream

Post by Jayme Ream »

keeno your so right! i worked in hvac for for years and its about air movement. each room gets one suppy and return air . and a small exhaust air out of the room. im guility of putting bathroom fans in closets. and at least a fan. so the first thing i bought. was the AIR-2 . pretty much im running about 77 .and humity 60 ish. new too this . so would love to hear what others like.
These users thanked the author Jayme Ream for the post:
Keeno (Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:36 pm)

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”