Welcome to the cannabis school for new growers section. In this section you can ask and get answers to questions about growing cannabis. Whether you are are new to growing cannabis or thinking about getting into the hobby, there are no silly questions so ask away. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Fabric pots/autopot system

A place for new grower to ask questions and learn about growing cannabis
Czechitout

Fabric pots/autopot system

Post by Czechitout »

High,I’m onto my 2nd grow now, auto flower ultimate but was looking at changing from plastic pots with air domes to fabric pots. For the next grow
My questions are do I still need air domes in fabric pots?
Is it the same potting up process ie,drainage medium and then (I use) soil.?
And finally on the autopot website they sell a “root control sock” to line the bottom of the pot is this needed?

As a side note my auto ultimate babys(week 4) have the largest 3 finger 2nd leaves I have ever seen! And the stem is so thick I’m struggling to lst'

Can’t wait!,,,
These users thanked the author Czechitout for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:02 pm) • Bulls (Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:30 pm)

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Keeno
Site Admin

Re: Fabric pots/autopot system

Post by Keeno »

Czechitout wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 pm
High,I’m onto my 2nd grow now, auto flower ultimate but was looking at changing from plastic pots with air domes to fabric pots. For the next grow
And finally on the autopot website they sell a “root control sock” to line the bottom of the pot is this needed?

As a side note my auto ultimate babys(week 4) have the largest 3 finger 2nd leaves I have ever seen! And the stem is so thick I’m struggling to lst'

Can’t wait!,,,
I love using fabric pots. They are much better than standard plastic ones. Are you using a autopot system?

As for domes, the only time you need them if at all is seedling stage. Potting up is the same in any pot.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Bulls (Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:30 pm) • Guest (Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:01 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

My only worry for the fabric pots is that they keep the humidity slightly higher. But if you have low humidity or dehumidifier, shouldn't be an issue. What's that root control sock? I know some people use clay pebbles on the very bottom of the pot.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

You maybe able to use fabric pots in auto-pots im unsure but myself i would think they will become pretty god darn soggy down lower parts of fabric pots and that could hinder root development if that`s the case especially if your growing in dirt but also in coco too, i mean i maybe wrong i just don`t know tbh but tis how i see shit that could quite possibly happen.

What advantage do think using a fabric pot over a plastic pot has in general out of interest, do you get more weed back or stronger weed ? That question to you as well @Keeno i didn`t notice a difference myself but ive only used them once on same cut i`d used for time, basically i got same result as i did with plastic pots more or less.

If you were to use to use fabric pots i think you may get away without using the copper root socks if growing in fabric pots cus what ive seen roots don`t really grow out of them to any significant lengths, basically they are grand for stopping roots wrapping round n round the pot bottoms too like they can in plastic pots are those fabric pots. I maybe wrong again though.

As for air-domes well im of opinion they are a great big con and won`t change my mind on that fucker, tbh so are any claims that fabric pots are better than using a proper plant pot, cus a pot works just as good and does same jobby imo, but i might be wrong yet again though :lol:
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Czechitout

Post by Czechitout »

Keeno wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:04 pm
Czechitout wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 pm

Can’t wait!,,,
I love using fabric pots. They are much better than standard plastic ones. Are you using a autopot system?

As for domes, the only time you need them if at all is seedling stage. Potting up is the same in any pot.
:bye:

High as usual,
yep I’m using autopot xl system but changed to 15 ltr pots with air domes again.maybe when I grow photoperiods I’ll swap back to 25ltr pots,
When it comes to seeding I soak for 24hrs and drop the split seed straight into its forever pot.
1 failure from 12 seeds all auto

Czechitout

Post by Czechitout »

2-Scoops wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm
You maybe able to use fabric pots in auto-pots im unsure but myself i would think they will become pretty god darn soggy down lower parts of fabric pots and that could hinder root development if that`s the case especially if your growing in dirt but also in coco too, i mean i maybe wrong i just don`t know tbh but tis how i see shit that could quite possibly happen.

What advantage do think using a fabric pot over a plastic pot has in general out of interest, do you get more weed back or stronger weed ? That question to you as well @Keeno i didn`t notice a difference myself but ive only used them once on same cut i`d used for time, basically i got same result as i did with plastic pots more or less.

If you were to use to use fabric pots i think you may get away without using the copper root socks if growing in fabric pots cus what ive seen roots don`t really grow out of them to any significant lengths, basically they are grand for stopping roots wrapping round n round the pot bottoms too like they can in plastic pots are those fabric pots. I maybe wrong again though.

As for air-domes well im of opinion they are a great big con and won`t change my mind on that fucker, tbh so are any claims that fabric pots are better than using a proper plant pot, cus a pot works just as good and does same jobby imo, but i might be wrong yet again though :lol:
High,I guess you can use fabric pots because autopot sell them for their system,the sock they say is to stop the root developing into the flooded tray (no air to burn them under water)and *ucking up the float.
My humidity is quite low at the mo☺️ So maybe the fabric pots could help lift RH
Only returned to growing recently, so much has changed,I started with an old factory light and a watering can, I was going to change to fabric to get rid of the air pump and tubes, and I guess a little bit of the marketing bullsh*t has stuck..

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Czechitout wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:24 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:25 pm

High,I guess you can use fabric pots because autopot sell them for their system,the sock they say is to stop the root developing into the flooded tray (no air to burn them under water)and *ucking up the float.
My humidity is quite low at the mo☺️ So maybe the fabric pots could help lift RH
Only returned to growing recently, so much has changed,I started with an old factory light and a watering can, I was going to change to fabric to get rid of the air pump and tubes, and I guess a little bit of the marketing bullsh*t has stuck..
Ahh well i weren`t too sure if you could use them tis why i mentioned it tbh mate, i mean i last used auto-pots prolly 15 years + ago, but cool.

As for rooting socks, well like i said when i used fabric pots growing but not in an auto-pot system i didn`t get any roots growing long out of pots it was just root ends i could see popping out, but again ive only used those once before tbh, but my feeling is so long as you add the copper root mat inside pots (possibly not needed tbh) that should be enough if system still comes with those that is, it used too, but yes what with the pot bottoms sat in the mix at bottom you could possibly get rootage growing out, its your shout at end of shift mate and theirs always that old addage "better safe than sorry " so yes go for it. :)

WhIpLaSh

Post by WhIpLaSh »

The root sock now contains the copper bit which stops the roots escaping.

I've just started a run of autos in fabric pots and autopots. Happy to offer any info as I go along...also testing the air domes. No idea if they'll make a difference or not. I should have done a few with and a few without for a side-by-side comparison but too late for all that now.

The fabric pots definitely drive up humidity. Good for me with low ambient humidity but it's good to keep in mind if you have higher ambient humidity.

Edit: I've also been advised to shut off the reservoir a few times during the grow to let the pots dry out completely and thus avoid any root rot issues. A day or two max at a time should do the trick.

Czechitout

Post by Czechitout »

WhIpLaSh wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:39 pm
The root sock now contains the copper bit which stops the roots escaping.

I've just started a run of autos in fabric pots and autopots. Happy to offer any info as I go along...also testing the air domes. No idea if they'll make a difference or not. I should have done a few with and a few without for a side-by-side comparison but too late for all that now.

The fabric pots definitely drive up humidity. Good for me with low ambient humidity but it's good to keep in mind if you have higher ambient humidity.

Edit: I've also been advised to shut off the reservoir a few times during the grow to let the pots dry out completely and thus avoid any root rot issues. A day or two max at a time should do the trick.
High thanks for the offer,I’m well into a grow at the moment, and may well swap on the next,I was hoping that fabric pots would.mean I don’t need airdomes ,pumps and airline,
2 weeks into my last grow I was given a seedling after my girls had started,so it had no dome and grew the same as the rest did!
Every seed seems to grow differently,guess that’s cross breeding, but it adds an exciting twist,
This time I have the biggest 2nd leaves I’ve ever seen their huge bigger than my hand,and the stems don’t want to bend with LST their so thick, but the plant is staying low......for now!

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

You could have a read of this grow diary/journal for some tips, he alsao uses the same ppm/ec pen you`ve just ordered from Amazon @Czechitout viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6192

Return to “Canna School for Newbies!”