Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Autoflower - Second Attempt

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
exordium

Post by exordium »

Hi All,

After my first disaster, I have upgraded my lights from the cheap eBay ones to invisible sun.

Seeds are currently in paper towels and tap roots are coming through.

I have read a lot that autoflower should just be planted straight into their final growing medium.

I do have some peat pellets which are supposed to have all the right nutes to develop good root growth.

Should I start them off in the peat pellets or just straight into its final pot?

Thanks,

Andy
These users thanked the author exordium for the post (total 2):
Trex (Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:53 pm) • Keeno (Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:19 am)

Trex

Post by Trex »

exordium wrote:Hi All,

After my first disaster, I have upgraded my lights from the cheap eBay ones to invisible sun.

Seeds are currently in paper towels and tap roots are coming through.

I have read a lot that autoflower should just be planted straight into their final growing medium.

I do have some peat pellets which are supposed to have all the right nutes to develop good root growth.

Should I start them off in the peat pellets or just straight into its final pot?

Thanks,

Andy
I pot them up with no probs in coco . sometimes twice all depending .

I dont like peat pellets , last time i tried those they fried my auto seedlings , rekon it was jiffy brand . they were way too strong
A nice seedling mix to start in a small pot or in the top 1/3 layer of final pot with a good quality soil in the bottom

Easy on the watering if starting in the final pot , its the #1 cause of failures .

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

exordium

Re: Autoflower - Second Attempt

Post by exordium »

I am going to be using the fabric pots and a coco and perlite mix. I do have some seedling nutes in my shed.

So maybe skip the pellets, as I believe mine are the jiffy brand too. Pot straight into the final pot?

Trex

Post by Trex »

exordium wrote:I am going to be using the fabric pots and a coco and perlite mix. I do have some seedling nutes in my shed.

So maybe skip the pellets, as I believe mine are the jiffy brand too. Pot straight into the final pot?
regular nutes are fine with some root stim and michorizae .

Start em in a 2.5x2.5" nursery pot .
Rince the coco , let it dry a bit , then precharge the coco with a .25 ec feed til run off , perfect for seedlings . then water them about 50ml every 2nd day give or take til roots pop out .
transplant into your final pot ,
rinse coco , let dry a bit precharge it with same feed as the plant needs , pretty much how I do it

exordium

Post by exordium »

Trex wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:40 pm
exordium wrote:I am going to be using the fabric pots and a coco and perlite mix. I do have some seedling nutes in my shed.

Rince the coco , let it dry a bit , then precharge the coco with a .25 ec feed til run off , perfect for seedlings . then water them about 50ml every 2nd day give or take til roots pop out .
rinse coco , let dry a bit precharge it with same feed as the plant needs , pretty much how I do it

I will give this a go. I am still very much a novice grower, so welcome all the advice available.

I have also been researching low stress training in the hope that this may give me a bigger yield.
These users thanked the author exordium for the post:
Trex (Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:37 am)

Trex

Post by Trex »

exordium wrote:
Trex wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:40 pm

I will give this a go. I am still very much a novice grower, so welcome all the advice available.

I have also been researching low stress training in the hope that this may give me a bigger yield.
ahh i see .
Sometimes i think all growers are advanced like most of us here haha .

best start in your final pot then buddy . 3 gal will do just great for a fabric pot and coco .
Start a journal and we can help you as you go

flush your coco 3x the pot size(unless its preflushed and buffered like canna pro) , let it dry a bit , then preacharge your coco to .25 ec ph6 by watering your pot til a few drops fall out , then plant your seed and cover with a cloche or cut up pop bottle and dont water til the top just to say gets a bit flakey (after seeds have sprouted) , then feed at .25-.3 every 2nd day-ish 50-60ml and go from there as the roots spread

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Autos are safer to pop into final pots but o know its not always doable, especially if starting autos when you got a photo grow just finishing or similar. If I do start autos in starter pots I dont wait for them to get established in these pots. As long as the roots aren't fully established the plant wint necessarily know its in a starter pot.

Good luck with this one, Invisible Sun lights will do you proud.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Trex (Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:06 pm) • exordium (Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:24 pm)

exordium

Post by exordium »

Keeno wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:24 am
Autos are safer to pop into final pots but o know its not always doable, especially if starting autos when you got a photo grow just finishing or similar. If I do start autos in starter pots I dont wait for them to get established in these pots. As long as the roots aren't fully established the plant wint necessarily know its in a starter pot.

Good luck with this one, Invisible Sun lights will do you proud.
They have gone into their coco and perlite mix with some seedling nutes today. I will keep you all updated.

Still a big learning curve for me. I think I may of damaged one of the seeds when I planted it. The seed popped off and I was just left with the tap root.

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

I have a pair of eight inch lab tweezers for handling seeds and whatnot. Seems a lot easier for me. Plus, you can easily sterilize them and know you’re not passing anything on to the seedlings.

exordium

Post by exordium »

TTL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:51 pm
I have a pair of eight inch lab tweezers for handling seeds and whatnot. Seems a lot easier for me. Plus, you can easily sterilize them and know you’re not passing anything on to the seedlings.
I used tweezers, maybe it's just my cack hands haha. Only time will tell, 2 out of the 3 went in undamaged.

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”