Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Purple Stems

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Purple Stems

Post by Rawreefer »

Does the LED affect the stems to go purple on the fan leaves ?. When i had this before i was advised to add more calmag and did but it didn't fix the problem. This run is the same BUT what i have noticed is that the stems are only purple on the top and the stem on the underside is green, Confused dot.com.
These users thanked the author Rawreefer for the post (total 2):
anova.330 (Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:58 pm) • duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Re: Purple Stems

Post by Bulls »

Yes, leds do have such effect and nothing to worry about. Calmag doesn't really help and once they turn purple they will never turn green again. Red stems can be because of big difference in lights on/off temperature and number of other factors. But if your plant is healthy overall and growing well, I woudn't worry too much.
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 4):
Rawreefer (Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:52 am) • anova.330 (Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:58 pm) • duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:05 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:58 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

the anthocyanins are kinda like a dump valve for extra light. when the plants have excess light and insufficient access to co2 or nutrients or the temp is out of optimum for using the light. plants create red pigment to use up the excess or it would create free radicals which damage the health of the plant
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:40 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

Rawreefer wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:47 am
Does the LED affect the stems to go purple on the fan leaves ?. When i had this before i was advised to add more calmag and did but it didn't fix the problem. This run is the same BUT what i have noticed is that the stems are only purple on the top and the stem on the underside is green, Confused dot.com.
hi i have seen this loads on my older clones im told it is easy to mistake for a def but is something to do with plants getting cold during lights out period,my fave keeper the barneys tangerine dream had half purple stems from germing and just grew more obvious as they age,i cant say it has caused any problems though and indeed it could just be a genetic trait in some strains,but yes my old mentor many moons ago told me about the cold during lights out so maybe check temps and add heater if needs be,the cold def slows vegging if i use my small cfls it goes slow,add a warmer light source and growth speeds up,
do you use climate controller? good luck :bye:
These users thanked the author duke for the post:
GMO (Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:58 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

GMO wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 pm
the anthocyanins are kinda like a dump valve for extra light. when the plants have excess light and insufficient access to co2 or nutrients or the temp is out of optimum for using the light. plants create red pigment to use up the excess or it would create free radicals which damage the health of the plant
Damn radicals ruin all
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 pm) • duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

JJ wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:30 pm
GMO wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:06 pm
Damn radicals ruin all
https://www.upol.cz/nc/en/news/news/cla ... synthesis/
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

As mentioned above it could be LED, I certainly see it when using LED. It could also be cold or PH issues. Do you have a pic of the plants?
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:04 pm)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”