Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Spider Mites Week 6 of Flower....

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Mustang92

Re: Spider Mites Week 6 of Flower....

Post by Mustang92 »

Egzoset wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:24 am
Egzoset wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:44 am
...spider mites are capable of "diapause"...

At this point i'd ask this simple question: does ozone "bombing" or else kill every single spider mite including their yet-to-hatch eggs??

i've never ozone bombed but i do run a ozonator in my tent for smell. people say it kills insects, mold, bacteria, people (if you breathe high levels of it long enough) , pets, i think pollen??(not sure), and smells . it also has short live span, 45mins maybe and then all smells return. i run my on timer when i'm at work and vent outside but you need to careful with it because it's dangerous stuff. I also run an ozonator in my hot tub and know people who use in hydro grows but its hard on all rubber seals and glued connections and major leaks accure all the time.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Stickylemonz wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:51 pm
Found same thing in my groom…. Week 3 of flower, I think I’m gonna get some ninja bugs to go fuck em up https://www.dragonfli.co.uk/blogs/news/ ... o-use-them
This stuff is great and I think it's sorted. I used Canna Cure initially, the large NL5 plant was mainly affected on two branches so I think I caught it in time. Harvested and it's curing now and under inspection there were no mites in the buds.

This left the veg tent (I'd taken cuts of the NL5 as I've been keeping this cut for almost two years) which of course had brought the little buggers into this tent.

More canna cure, then 1000 predator mites from dragonfli and I cannot find mites anywhere.

Both tents got bleached so I think I'm over the worst of it. Famous last words but everything is getting monitored closely.

Many thanks for all the posts and advice. Looks like the pre 89NL5 is preserved! :thanks:
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:30 pm) • Stickylemonz (Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Good to hear you got rid of those spider mites bro
Had once they suck to get rid off

anyways good luck

see you around

mn
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
duke (Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:55 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:34 pm)

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

So little update on mine I sprayed soap water for like 4 days thought I got ride of them .... but nope than I sprayed with water and rubbing alcohol and than I got some other stuff that's for actual plants in flower for spider mites.... my plant looks sick almost just think cause of the reveg than spider mites.... now here is a question so I have three of my outdoors almost side by side but the mites are only on 1 ... now do they like certain strains more ? I know it sounds stupid however there only on one its actual quite surprising @Keeno @TTL @2-Scoops you guys have any idea why it's just on the one I mean theres not allot maybe a few on each leaf keeping them at bay just wondering why it's not on the other 2 ?
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:
Keeno (Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:59 am)

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

Wayne36 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:21 pm
So little update on mine I sprayed soap water for like 4 days thought I got ride of them .... but nope than I sprayed with water and rubbing alcohol and than I got some other stuff that's for actual plants in flower for spider mites.... my plant looks sick almost just think cause of the reveg than spider mites.... now here is a question so I have three of my outdoors almost side by side but the mites are only on 1 ... now do they like certain strains more ? I know it sounds stupid however there only on one its actual quite surprising @Keeno @TTL @2-Scoops you guys have any idea why it's just on the one I mean theres not allot maybe a few on each leaf keeping them at bay just wondering why it's not on the other 2 ?
@GMO could shed more light I’m sure, but from what I understand bugs/pests/whatnot don’t attack healthy plants. So, maybe that one plant was just a bit less healthy and didn’t have as strong of a defense as the others.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post (total 5):
Wayne36 (Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:36 pm) • Keeno (Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:15 am) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:35 pm) • Stickylemonz (Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 pm) • Guest (Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:17 pm)

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

TTL wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 pm
Wayne36 wrote:
@GMO could shed more light I’m sure, but from what I understand bugs/pests/whatnot don’t attack healthy plants. So, maybe that one plant was just a bit less healthy and didn’t have as strong of a defense as the others.
Ahhhh well that kinda actual makes sense the plant where taking about started flowering early and than went into reveg ....it just kinda looks sick actual bud smells great but just looks like a Charlie brown tree. Thanks for the info I havent had mites before that I noticed but this grow outside I have learned allot as to how deep the soil is and the overgrown trees this year was just shocked as it was the only one affectedImage
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post (total 2):
TTL (Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:38 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:35 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Wayne36 wrote:
Sorry for delay in reply @Wayne36. There is study to the fact that a healthy plant cannot become infested with pests, it can fight them off. I don't believe this myself but maybe what your saying about certain strains could be an answer. Strains are not the wild plants they once were. They are effectively pure bred for lack of a better term. Hand selected for certain traits. What I'm getting at is in a dog breed that's pure bred there are health issues more than a good old mongrel. I do not believe a healthy plant cannot be infested. But I could believe and am after reading your comment that strains could be so used to being in tip top conditions for years, hand selected, basically pampered and spoilt by us growers or the breeder breeding them, that it may have a negative effect on the plants immune system or ability to fight off pest in the first place.

Thete was a king in the UK hundreds of years ago who desperately needed a male heir. When he finally had a son he was so scared of him getting sick that he cocooned him, had the servants scrub the palace everyday, wouldn't let his boy play in rivers, mud. This had a negative effect, the first big the boy came into contact with killed him. He had built no immune system.

Are we doing this with our plants? Interesting question for sure. Not a individual grower. But as a whole and in general to cannabis....

Real interesting train of thought Wayne and one I'm gonna try look into.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 4):
Wayne36 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:52 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:36 pm) • Guest (Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:18 pm) • Rawreefer (Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:45 am)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

TTL wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:22 pm
Wayne36 wrote:
I see this after I posted my above reply. I don't see this tbh. If a grower has mites or another infestation then every plant will get it. Some more than others maybe but I can't see it being due to a plant being sick being the only reason. I've known growers to suffer with mites, get them under control, then they come back. This would mean thst every plant the grower is growing back to back must be sick or unhealthy for long periods of time. I like the train of thought but it can't be right in my head.

I do think @Wayne36 suggestion of strains could be something. Some strains may just have a weaker immune system due to the selective breeding. If a plant is sick it will increase a plants inability to fight off. But a plant bring unhealthy being the sole cause...
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Wayne36 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:50 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:39 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Imma try avoid the immune to pest discussion for now. But 100% pests start with the easiest target; that can mean the least healthy of a chosen crop or that can mean attacking "weeds" in a grow area and not a main crop.

That's not to say they wont spread to healthy crops bit 100% start with the immune comprised first. This can be as small as minor stress from heat, wind or just slightly under or over watered.

Think of it like a persons immune system, when we are in tip top shape a cold or flu may infect us but we have the ability to fight off the infection before symptoms start to show. But if your slightly immune comprised by something tiny like having been out on the beers at the same time, an infection becomes more prevalent

Then we can get onto proactive repellents like peppermint, rosemary and neem oils which help keep pests from being attracted to potentially immune comprised plants and then if they are already there, have an active defensive role as the oils block pests spiracles (holes on their body where gases are exchanged), suffocating them.... plants in the highest tier of plant health also have the ability to create secondary metabolites which protect and defend the plant itself.

I agree with keeno that not all plants appear to have the defensive tool to deal with some pests.... in my experience, if I have even a minor pest issue my plants product a heavy lemon profile. These terps in particular have the ability to dissolve pests that come in contact with high concentrations

Check out; advancing eco agriculture's plant health pyramid for more on this and how the higher levels of plant health can be achieved

Hope that's some help

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 4):
Guest (Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:01 pm) • Wayne36 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:50 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:41 pm) • Rawreefer (Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:19 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I totally agree with a predator of any kind attacking the weakest of the group first.

I've see a few bits about this on social media of late, healthy plants not being able to be affected by pest. I just can't see how some growers, especially in areas like sheds, lofts etc, can be growing sick plants as much as they must be for this to be the case. And to be doing back to back for long periods of time.

I think if I have perfectly healthy robust plants and I visit a friend who has a mite issue, or introduce a clone that has them, my healthy robust plants will become dinner as well.

Yes, it may take longer for them to take hold in a healthy groom. But they will none the less unless something intervenes, like us with pest control.

I can see how a plant in a natural setting, in its native area may be able to fight off pests much more effectively. A rose bush that's in perfect health in my back garden for an example. But I really do think this is a genetic thing more than anything else. I'm really interested in this and will have a read up.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
GMO (Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:20 pm) • Wayne36 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:53 pm) • Tictok (Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:42 pm)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”