Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Spider Mites Week 6 of Flower....

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Tictok
Known User

Spider Mites Week 6 of Flower....

Post by Tictok »

Hey All

I took back a cut of the pre Sensi Seeds original NL5 that had been vegged outside and is an absolute tree.

Thought I had issues with over watering/nutes then realised in week of flower she has a full on spider mite infestation. Yes, that will teach me not to bring plants in from outside grows although I was told she had been sprayed in veg.

Week 6 flower, is there anything I can do? This is new territory for me. Research has varied from all is doomed you have to chop and ditch the plant, to it's fine and she'll pull though.

I've taken this cut at bang in 8 weeks before and it was great so I've got two weeks potentially.

Obviously don't want to spray anything that would ruin the crop, unless it's doomed already? I don't think the whole plant is affected but leaves ate yellowing rapidly.

This will be a large yield for me potentially any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Tictok
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 3):
Ash (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:16 pm) • MrNice (Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:35 pm) • Bulls (Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:08 pm)

Benjic93

Re: Spider Mites Week 6 of Flower....

Post by Benjic93 »

I had to cut the worst infected leafs and push to the finnish, checking leafs daily for webbing. Population in my tent blew up about 3 weeks from chop and I just had to keep cutting the infected leafs and do what I can until finnish. I ended up cutting atleast a week or 2 early but its better then losing a whole crop. Tent got bleached to fuck after that.
These users thanked the author Benjic93 for the post (total 3):
Tictok (Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:31 pm) • Ash (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:16 pm) • Bulls (Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:08 pm)

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Benjic93 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm
I had to cut the worst infected leafs and push to the finnish, checking leafs daily for webbing. Population in my tent blew up about 3 weeks from chop and I just had to keep cutting the infected leafs and do what I can until finnish. I ended up cutting atleast a week or 2 early but its better then losing a whole crop. Tent got bleached to fuck after that.
For sure, it's so darn close.

I've been recomended cannacure which you can use up until harvest, so they'll get a blast if that tomorrow.
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 3):
2-Scoops (Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:16 pm) • Benjic93 (Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:17 pm) • Ash (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:16 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Cannacure looks like summink you could use right to chop, its pesticide free so won`t fuck you up when having a smoke according to read up on it.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Ash (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:16 pm) • Tictok (Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Tictok wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Benjic93 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm
For sure, it's so darn close.

I've been recomended cannacure which you can use up until harvest, so they'll get a blast if that tomorrow.
That's cool, I couldn't really spray mine with anything as humidity was also creeping on me lol. Good luck. :puff puff:
These users thanked the author Benjic93 for the post:
Tictok (Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

ohhhh I know this feeling all to well. Batteled them myself and they are evil satan bugs!!! Ive released preditor bugs that helped alot. Then once grow was done i bombed the tent. Fixin to start a new round of plants.On one foot praying ..holding my breath hahaha hopefully i got em this time.
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am) • Stickylemonz (Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:51 pm)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Momma bear wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:21 pm
ohhhh I know this feeling all to well. Batteled them myself and they are evil satan bugs!!! Ive released preditor bugs that helped alot. Then once grow was done i bombed the tent. Fixin to start a new round of plants.On one foot praying ..holding my breath hahaha hopefully i got em this time.
I did read dry sulfur powder is great for bombing your room to clean it to get rid of pests namely spidermites as well as spores.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Ash (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:17 pm) • Tictok (Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:45 am)

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Oh the persistent memories...

Maybe not chop right away but sacrifice to observation, even experimentation perhaps. E. G. with zero promises at least until fair investigation under a microscope has occured, literally... Though, quite frankly, i'm afraid in practical terms it's simply too late when "The Borg" has become visible to the naked eye!

When it happened to me i tried to maintain a lower temperature environment around infested plants which never recovered what was lost, but i think this slowed them down a tiny bit.

Now is about the right time to plan a strategy for the next session, too bad that's going to be my "bad news" part: it only takes one egg. On top of that the spider mites are capable of "diapause"; some kind of hibernation as i recall. In clear it usually means they win the time-based competition unless prepared, but in the end i keep wondering where's all the insect poop going... Because it's intended for human inhalation, right?

I did happen to have a theory when home gardening still seemed like an option. It offered no immediate remedy but once i had them, including in the fridge (...), i imagined it wouldn't matter as much if the plants were males intended to produce pollen, which ain't consumed anyway. The hobby alone would be welcome except i wanted the fun without any agravation, so the project was to experiment with "electrical water": colloïdal silver as an eggs killer rather than an ethylene-moderating "sex-changing" switch for autofems. From my past perspective the mere pleasure of enjoying the presence of cannabis plants would have been sufficient and i was ready to welcome such experimentation because somehow it seemed like a win-win senario. After all, i felt confident at 1 ~ 3 ppm a series of CS sprays might avoid hermaphroditism while still penetrating spider mite eggs; optionally with a time restriction in order to optimize a trade-off between its pesticide and seed-producing applications. Then the lessons learned could have helped finding a related strategy for females, thinking that your critter invadors have been there much longer than it appeared... In other words i was gambling on the premise that CS sprays followed an instant later by a proper water rinse would have attacked their reproductive cycle and hopefully even detered them away in time for the flowering cycle to begin in favourable cicumstances.

In the end i cancelled the show although i had patiently prepared a pair of plants for a comparative session, using a home-built CS generator which i considered low-profile (relatively safe).

In a worse-case scenario i might have turned blue from smoking bananas, literally. :barmy:

At this point i'd point out spider mites are real easy to cultivate, multiply and observe... Have a good microscope and this may become some new enjoyable hobby!

Meanwhile it all boils down to determining if it's destined to personal use... Not to mention repuration is everything.

Good day, have fun!! Image
These users thanked the author Egzoset for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:48 am) • Herbalist (Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:27 pm)
Vaporist of Borg.

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Many thanks all, appreciate the replies.

I'll try the cannacure route first and a lot of inspection leadding up to harvest if it gets that far. I have a couple of cuts of this pheno in veg (and these are clear) so the cut is preserved at least.

Thanks again. Let battle commence!
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 2):
Egzoset (Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:12 am) • duke (Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

Get em!! Hate the vile little things
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 2):
duke (Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:05 pm) • Tictok (Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:14 am)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”