Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Springtails

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
Cam420

Springtails

Post by Cam420 »

ImageImage

These tiny white insects that look much like thrips, are called Springtails. They’re more of a pest than a nuisance, and are attracted the moisture, and light. They feed mostly off dead plant matter, fungus and algae. I’ve found them to be much more attracted to Coco, as they live mostly in the top layer of soil, only showing themselves when watered before quickly disappearing once more. When the run-off leaves the bottom of the pot, you will often see a waterfall of springtails pour out of your pot. From my experience dealing with them, they seem to be completely harmless, asides from if you allow them to get out of control. Some even claim they’re beneficial, as they remove surface mould and algae, and shit it back out, further feeding your plant. And dead plant matter could attract other nasties like fungus gnats. My concern however is when they become so large in numbers. So to remove them, I essentially do a large flush and refeed. Take the plants to your babroom, and force about 15-20 litres through the coco, eventually the majority will be rinsed away. Then refeed the plants to ensure the nutrients are present and let them drip for a while.Another potential theory that I’ve mot tried yet, is putting a dish of water alongside your plants, and then letting your plants dry out for a few days. They should, in theory, travel over to the water where you can easily pour them away. Like most pests they seem to dislike neem oil, so I drop 1ml into 10l of water just to help force them out.

They are also known as snow fleas, as they can jump up to 10cm-which will freak you out, as all you have to do is breathe close enough and they disappear in a jumping frenzy. This is because they have little tails that tuck underneath them, like springs, that when disturbed launch the insect away from the disturbance.

Overall it’s down to you whether you want to remove them but weigh up the pro and cons.
Removal pros & cons:

Removal cons:
removing them takes time
Springtails aerate the medium
Springtails eat dead plant matter
They don’t harm your plant directly
They defend your plant from mould

Removal pros:
-No creepy crawlers in your house
-Not having to worry about underwatering causing a migration of springtails to another plant or your bathroom/kitchen
-Some boosters like Rhizotonic are made of marine biology such as algae, and could be wasted on feeding springtails
- No accidental root damage
-more food for the plant rather than insects

If you have these in your medium, DONT PANIC! They will barely have an effect on your plants life, and will remain in the dirt or below all their life. But don’t mistake them with thrips, as thrips will climb up your stems and leaves and cause damage. Springtails can often be found at the bottom of the root zone, in the drip pan as the moisture, roots, and run off water provide most of the food they need. Also springtails are often seen as a sign of a bio diverse soil, as they only crop up in specific circumstances in which they can survive. I believe this is why I often have them during my coco grows.

Anyway I know this has been a massive chunk of info, a little random in structure but hope it helps somehow.
These users thanked the author Cam420 for the post (total 8):
Hmr81 (Tue May 11, 2021 12:10 pm) • GMO (Tue May 11, 2021 12:26 pm) • FX (Tue May 11, 2021 12:41 pm) • flip (Tue May 11, 2021 12:43 pm) • Marcus (Tue May 11, 2021 12:48 pm) • Point 5 (Tue May 11, 2021 1:27 pm) • Guest (Sun May 16, 2021 8:20 am) • Stickylemonz (Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:50 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
Wayne36
Known User

Re: Springtails

Post by Wayne36 »

Interesting insects never seen these before only insects I have had while growing look like little fruit flies not sure what they are called

Post by Guest »

Every livin thing has it's own job to do. I have pet fungus gnats constantly. Just means a fertile and healthy soil.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing :-)
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
flip (Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

When I grow in soil I add 1.5 inches ish of sand or perlite to the top of the soil to stop the fungus gnats. Never seen those springtails before.
These users thanked the author ohlordyeah_420 for the post:
Stickylemonz (Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:52 pm)
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Red squirrel fowl

Post by Red squirrel fowl »

Had springtails for the last few grows now, don't seem to do much harm at all to me.

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

Thank you for this cam :thanks: :thanks:

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”