Welcome to the cannabis growing issues and help section. Use this section to ask about issues, deficiencies and other problems you encounter while growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Super budget drying help

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
duke
Respected Member

Re: Super budget drying help

Post by duke »

Growmie wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:30 pm
Hey Gr fam,

Alot has happened in my personal life recently and has left me basically broke for the foreseeable future, the problem is my first couple plants are ready for the chop ( I think).
I was planning on buying a second tent for that reason but that's out of the question now.
I was wondering, if I were to get a cardboard box and then cut say a plastic bottle (with something to block the light getting through?) and put it through the vent and into the box (with air holes poked in all around it) would that sufficiently stop me stinking out the whole street?
The only other option is to just chop them put them in a cupboard and hope noone comes knocking.
But the last thing I need is getting nicked on top of everything else.
I know what I'm suggesting is probably ridiculous but I'm out of options.
I'm open to any other suggestions :dazed:

Thanks all.
hi i do not think that will work the smell is stronger when drying than growing ,i use a food dehydrator bought off ebay about 18 months ago new for £12 looking now the same thing has tripled in price but did find a couple used ones,tbh it does nothing to hide smell but does dry weed well enough to store oil or smoke in around 10 hrs give or take and does a nice even job,weed is surprisingly smokable in an emergency and dryer is bloody brilliant when you are a cannabis oil maker.
you can run the dryer in your tent as i have done in drobes many times.
for my personal consumption i dry in the drobes with a good cf running and buds hung as far above the lights as possible for 5-7 days then jar it up,also of note if you have a true frost free type freezer they are excellent for both containing odour and also dry weed to perfection in 3=4 days but has to be proper frost free one.
some folk build drying boxes with a carbon filter on theres lots vids on youtube,good luck,heres link to used dryer on fleabay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284547472402 ... Sw5mZhpJ6n
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm) • Growmie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Growmie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:01 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Is hanging them from the roof of the tent above your light not an option?

Just cut the branches from the main stem and leave all the leaves on, they'll slow the dry down somewhat.

I dry mine on the branches anyway, they only come off when they go into jars, then I pull any excess leafage off at the same time.
I did consider this but my lights have inbuilt fans so they would have constant air being blown on them, not to mention as heat rises I'm assuming it would be even hotter than my tent which is at 26c? Not to mention wouldn't the light reflection off the mylar also affect it?
I've regularly dried dope they way I explained to you. It's never been an issue.

It just dries a bit quicker than the 'slow and low' method people seem to be so fixed on. If anything I think a quicker dry makes for a better product.
Dare I say it, even the dehydrator method @duke mentions is an excellent way to quick dry, but it does stink the house up! So run it in the tent.

I don't even trim these days, just whip the fan leaves off and the branches off the stem and hang it till the leaves all dry up and fall off, then cut the buds off into jars, any stray leaves just fall away then. I've fermented my last 2 harvests though...

https://growroom420.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=13702

And I'm just tooting some of the product now. Nice year long cure. :running-around:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
Growmie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:51 pm)

Growmie

Post by Growmie »

duke wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 pm
Growmie wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:30 pm
Hey Gr fam,

Alot has happened in my personal life recently and has left me basically broke for the foreseeable future, the problem is my first couple plants are ready for the chop ( I think).
I was planning on buying a second tent for that reason but that's out of the question now.
I was wondering, if I were to get a cardboard box and then cut say a plastic bottle (with something to block the light getting through?) and put it through the vent and into the box (with air holes poked in all around it) would that sufficiently stop me stinking out the whole street?
The only other option is to just chop them put them in a cupboard and hope noone comes knocking.
But the last thing I need is getting nicked on top of everything else.
I know what I'm suggesting is probably ridiculous but I'm out of options.
I'm open to any other suggestions :dazed:

Thanks all.
hi i do not think that will work the smell is stronger when drying than growing ,i use a food dehydrator bought off ebay about 18 months ago new for £12 looking now the same thing has tripled in price but did find a couple used ones,tbh it does nothing to hide smell but does dry weed well enough to store oil or smoke in around 10 hrs give or take and does a nice even job,weed is surprisingly smokable in an emergency and dryer is bloody brilliant when you are a cannabis oil maker.
you can run the dryer in your tent as i have done in drobes many times.
for my personal consumption i dry in the drobes with a good cf running and buds hung as far above the lights as possible for 5-7 days then jar it up,also of note if you have a true frost free type freezer they are excellent for both containing odour and also dry weed to perfection in 3=4 days but has to be proper frost free one.
some folk build drying boxes with a carbon filter on theres lots vids on youtube,good luck,heres link to used dryer on fleabay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284547472402 ... Sw5mZhpJ6n
That's ashame, as I thought it would in effect as a mini tent and as it would be pulling through the carbon filter it would stop the smell, but thanks for the heads-up, saved me some headache.
I'm in no rush for it to dry or in need of anything to smoke at the moment so that's not so much of a factor, I just don't really have much money at the moment and what little I do have I can't really put toward the grow unfortunately. Really appreciate the advice mate. As you and Marcus said I may have to just put what I can above the lights and hope for the best. Unfortunately my freezer is like the artic circle as far as ice is concerned so that isn't an option either lol.
Marcus wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:46 pm
Growmie wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:01 am
Marcus wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:41 pm
Is hanging them from the roof of the tent above your light not an option?

Just cut the branches from the main stem and leave all the leaves on, they'll slow the dry down somewhat.

I dry mine on the branches anyway, they only come off when they go into jars, then I pull any excess leafage off at the same time.
I did consider this but my lights have inbuilt fans so they would have constant air being blown on them, not to mention as heat rises I'm assuming it would be even hotter than my tent which is at 26c? Not to mention wouldn't the light reflection off the mylar also affect it?
I've regularly dried dope they way I explained to you. It's never been an issue.

It just dries a bit quicker than the 'slow and low' method people seem to be so fixed on. If anything I think a quicker dry makes for a better product.
Dare I say it, even the dehydrator method @duke mentions is an excellent way to quick dry, but it does stink the house up! So run it in the tent.

I don't even trim these days, just whip the fan leaves off and the branches off the stem and hang it till the leaves all dry up and fall off, then cut the buds off into jars, any stray leaves just fall away then. I've fermented my last 2 harvests though...

https://growroom420.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=13702

And I'm just tooting some of the product now. Nice year long cure. :running-around:
Thanks for the advice mate, by the looks of it i think I have no choice other than to do it above the lights anyway, so I'm glad to hear that it works well for you. I think I'll leave the leaves on like you said to try to lengthen the dry a bit more.

I've never even heard of fermenting I'll have a read of your thread! Thanks again.
These users thanked the author Growmie for the post:
Marcus (Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:09 pm)

Return to “Cannabis issues and help section”