Jeff Lowenfels - How bad is tap water for your plants?

Music, movies, hardbacks & more
seymore_budz
Respected Member

Jeff Lowenfels - How bad is tap water for your plants?

Post by seymore_budz »

Something I've discussed with other member here. I always thought it was bad but it turns out it's not as bad as some would lead you to believe. Enjoy!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Jeff Lowenfels - How bad is tap water for your plants?

Post by Nanook »

Cheers grumpy - oddly I sort of add chlorine I think - Pythoff ( smells of it at least )
I personally think in hydro it actually stops issues having chlorine. I grow hydro and have never used RO HOWEVER my BG EC here is 0.2 max, previous house was 0.5 max and again, no issue. Thats not to say I might not have done better with RO though - I never tried.
The video unfortunately concentrates on soil. He does comment on letting it sit, I used to do this with my fish tbh.
I also find the first few days after a tank change you can see the difference in the perkiness of the plants.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Nanook of the north wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:25 am
Cheers grumpy - oddly I sort of add chlorine I think - Pythoff ( smells of it at least )
I personally think in hydro it actually stops issues having chlorine. I grow hydro and have never used RO HOWEVER my BG EC here is 0.2 max, previous house was 0.5 max and again, no issue. Thats not to say I might not have done better with RO though - I never tried.
The video unfortunately concentrates on soil. He does comment on letting it sit, I used to do this with my fish tbh.
I also find the first few days after a tank change you can see the difference in the perkiness of the plants.
Yes Chlorine will actuall help regulate anything growing in the water. The pythoff msds says it's chlorine compounds so I think you're right. From what I've read, hydroponics requires you to add all the right stuff from a bottle. I use RO because my water is 0.8ec from the tap. It's disgusting lol my kettle gets fur'd up in a few weeks after descaling it. I had it analyzed by a lab years ago while working for a company and the report was bad to say the least.

I think the thing I took away from this video is that there's more than chlorine that can have a detrimental effect and chlorine is probably the least thing you should worry about. Chlorine will only hang about for an hour or so before it evaporates.

I got into a bit of a debate with a guy after the conversation with GMO about chlorine and the relevance of Ecothrive's neutralize but it turns out it binds to chloramine too. Saying that after watching that video, all you need to do is add something like a seaweed booster or something else with organic matter and it will neutralise the chloramine without paying £8 for another bottle to worry about.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I think basically grumpy, it depends on growing method and your tap water then. I am lucy in Scotland that my water hasnt been through 100 people before coming to my plants I think haha :)
I would love a proper RO setup one day tho - but again, once small scale so its easily managed :)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

I think we need to think about bacteria as colonies that we encourage and discourage. yes some culling off of the good with the bad is going to happen, but as long as you propagate and enrich the beneficial life then your colonies are usually in a healthy balance
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

A bit off topic this but still it`s all about water lol and you know me i`ll just jum,p into a rant about owt in any thread.

Tap water is great for plants and great for drinking too, well ours is up here, bottled water my arse, theirs some nasty chemicals and toxins in the process of making cheap plastic bottles . I read summink before about this and tests done on bottled water and the toxins in it caused from the plastic bottles. Pure spring water the best water in world, my arse it is lol, it certainly isn`t the way we drink it from springs anyhow. The report well it`s been around quite a few years now too. Maybe if theirs was a stink kicked up at time their would be more peeps drinking tap water and less plastic bottles around hey ? Suppose it`s all down to money and peeps lineing their pockets. :D

Not the report i read but yes summink to ponder https://phys.org/news/2018-03-bottled-b ... icles.html
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:04 pm
A bit off topic this but still it`s all about water lol and you know me i`ll just jum,p into a rant about owt in any thread.

Tap water is great for plants and great for drinking too, well ours is up here, bottled water my arse, theirs some nasty chemicals and toxins in the process of making cheap plastic bottles . I read summink before about this and tests done on bottled water and the toxins in it caused from the plastic bottles. Pure spring water the best water in world, my arse it is lol, it certainly isn`t the way we drink it from springs anyhow. The report well it`s been around quite a few years now too. Maybe if theirs was a stink kicked up at time their would be more peeps drinking tap water and less plastic bottles around hey ? Suppose it`s all down to money and peeps lineing their pockets. :D

Not the report i read but yes summink to ponder https://phys.org/news/2018-03-bottled-b ... icles.html
I read a similar thing on another forum some time ago. The guy took most of the big brands and some cheaper ones and compared them all. The best quality ones in regards to salt content was the cheap supermarket ones. The expensive mineral water was full of sodium from memory.

Return to “Music, Movies & Multimedia”