How to make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Medicinal & health benefits of cannabis
Bomber
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Post by Bomber »

Please be aware that making CO/RSO can be very dangerous. The solvent used for extraction in highly flammable. Please take extra care! 
Also, treat this medicine with respect. This is seriously potent and if not dosed correctly, it will put you flat on your back.

You will need the following items or similar.

Equipment

1x nonstick, PTFE & PFOA “free” frying pan. These do not have any nasty chemicals leach out when used
Deep wok
Muslin bags / cheesecloth
Roasting bag
Silicone spatular
Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% food grade
Unbleached coffee filters
Roasting bag
Funnel 
Oven thermometer
Electric hob
Grinder
Two curing jars

1. Place the cannabis inside a roasting bag and tie closed
2. Heat your oven to 110c using your independent oven thermometer. Do not go by your ovens.
3. Place the roasting bag in the oven on a baking tray @110c for 110 mins
4. Remove from the oven and place into the freezer
6. Also add the bowls, funnel, fork and solvent in the freezer, on it lowest setting for 24hrs.
7. After 24hrs, remove from freezer, place the cannabis into a bowl and pour over enough solvent to cover the contents. Do this as quickly as possible
8. Mix with the fork for around 30 seconds then leave to sit. Total time 3 mins
9. Pour into your muslin bag and strain the liquid out by squeezing the bag
10. Empty the buds back into the bowl and repeat the last step.
11. Strain the liquid through your unbleached coffee filters. This can take quite some time and half way through, i use a new filter to speed things up a little. If possible, allow to strain in the fridge or freezer. You want to keep this as cold as possible!
13. Add boiling water to the wok and place the frying pan on top to heat through.
14. Add your filtered solvent to the pan and after a short time, it will start to fizz

The idea of the wok with boiling water is you turn the heat off before you add the solvent to the frying pan as its highly flammable! Let the heat from the water boil off the solvent, OUTSIDE.
You’ll have to remove the frying pan at some point and re-heat the water in the wok, then continue to boil off the solvent. The solvent will gradually evaporate and you’ll be left with thick resin/oil.

Freezing the flowers and the solvent is called winterisation. This helps clean the fats, wax and lipids from the flowers. It also helps keep down the chlorophyll

Another thing to consider is the smell whilst decarbing. Even using a roasting bag, this really does smell. I nearly come unstuck once so i ended up buy a small mini oven. I placed that inside my grow tent with extraction and filter running. Problem being, these mini oven are not all that. Temperature fluctuations are big problem so I’ve made a small investment in the “Ardent - Lift. Precision Decarboxylator

This thing is just awesome. Airtight too so no smells. You can only fit between 1/2 and 1 ounce per time depending on the buds but its so easy. Just fill it up and around 2 hours later, perfectly decarbed so more a higher THC content compared to the oven.

Gone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How to make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

Post by Gone »

great guide full of usefull tips thanks will be saving this one thanks chew

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Great read Chew, thanks for sharing your knowlege mate.

I have been looking at decarbing and the smell has had me worried. I was gonna do exactly what you did with a mini oven in tent. Saved me some time and money there do thank you. Ill look into that ardent gadget.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Great info. And that Decarboxylator seems to be like a great little thingy. I was always worried that when I start doing it will stunk the whole street out. This might be a solution to the problem.

Return to “Medical Cannabis”