How do you make Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)?

Medicinal & health benefits of cannabis
Keeno
Site Admin

How do you make Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)?

Post by Keeno »

To make Rick Simpson Oil (RSO), start with one ounce of dried herb. One ounce will typically produce 3-4 grams of oil, although the amount of oil produced per ounce will vary strain to strain. A pound of dried material will yield about two ounces of high quality oil.

1. Place the completely dry material in a plastic bucket.

2. Dampen the material with the solvent you are using. Many solvents can be used. You can use pure naphtha, ether, butane, 99% isopropyl alcohol, or even water. Two gallons of solvent is required to extract the THC from one pound, and 500 ml is enough for an ounce.

3. Crush the plant material using a stick of clean, untreated wood or any other similar device. Although the material will be damp, it will still be relatively easy to crush up because it is so dry.

4. Continue to crush the material with the stick, while adding solvent until the plant material is completely covered and soaked. Remain stirring the mixture for about three minutes. As you do this, the THC is dissolved off the material into the solvent.

5. Pour the solvent oil mixture off the plant material into another bucket. At this point you have stripped the material of about 80% of its THC.

6. Second wash: again add solvent to the mixture and work for another three minutes to extract the remaining THC.

7. Pour this solvent oil mix into the bucket containing the first mix that was previously poured out.

8. Discard the twice washed plant material.

9. Pour the solvent oil mixture through a coffee filter into a clean container.

10. Boil the solvent off: a rice cooker will boil the solvent off nicely, and will hold over a half gallon of solvent mixture. CAUTION: avoid stove-tops, red hot elements, sparks, cigarettes, and open flames as the fumes are extremely flammable.

11. Add solvent to rice cooker until it is about ¾ full and turn on HIGH heat. Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area and set up a fan to carry the solvent fumes away. Continue to add mixture to cooker as solvent evaporates until you have added it all to the cooker.

12. As the level in the rice cooker decreases for the last time, add a few drops of water (about 10 drops of water for a pound of dry material). This will help to release the solvent residue, and protect the oil from too much heat.

13. When there is about one inch of solvent-water mixture in the rice cooker, put on your oven mitts and pick the unit up and swirl the contents until the solvent has finished boiling off.

14. When the solvent has been boiled off, turn the cooker to LOW heat. At no point should the oil ever reach over 290˚ F or 140˚ C.

15. Keep your oven mitts on and remove the pot containing the oil from the rice cooker. Gently pour the oil into a stainless steel container.

16. Place the stainless steel container in a dehydrator, or put it on a gentle heating device such as a coffee warmer. It may take a few hours but the water and volatile terpenes will be evaporated from the oil. When there is no longer any surface activity on the oil, it is ready for use.

17. Suck the oil up in a plastic syringe, or in any other container you see fit. A syringe will make the oil easy to dispense. When the oil cools completely it will have the consistency of thick grease.

For more information on RSO (Rick Simpson Oil) follow this link: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=142
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Minty (Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 pm) • MrNice (Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:08 pm)

Breeders Collective   Barney's Farm
Bomber
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do you make Rick Simpson Oil (RSO)?

Post by Bomber »

There are additional steps to produce a much cleaner oil leaving behind the unwanted fats, waxes, lipids and chlorophyll. I'll add to this later

This is what your washes should look like after winterisation

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

How much oil is here Chew?

Bomber

Post by Bomber »

Bulls wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 am
That was small batch using around 3oz so 9-12 grams of CO. I can’t remember now! Haha

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Chew wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:17 pm
Bulls wrote:
That was small batch using around 3oz so 9-12 grams of CO. I can’t remember now! Haha
Do you think I can use exodus for small cell lung cancer Chew and how do you think the oil should be prepared? Will be really good if you can share some info mate...

Bomber

Post by Bomber »

Bulls wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 pm
Chew wrote:
Bulls wrote:
Do you think I can use exodus for small cell lung cancer Chew and how do you think the oil should be prepared? Will be really good if you can share some info mate...
I’ll come back here later Bulls. Just at work. You can use Exodus, no problem.

Bomber

Post by Bomber »

Chew wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Bulls wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:53 pm
Chew wrote:

I’ll come back here later Bulls. Just at work. You can use Exodus, no problem.
When you say prepared, are we talking about extraction or mixing with carrier oils etc?

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Go be honest I will need to know how to do it from start to finish matey and which carrier oils to use.. i will know more abour his condition over the next couple of days..since my grandad refused to take anything cannabis related i haven't read much on the oils tbh.. ive got exodus in hand now but if other strain is needed i will get the seeds ordered and get it going asap at his place.

Bomber

Post by Bomber »

Bulls wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 am
Go be honest I will need to know how to do it from start to finish matey and which carrier oils to use.. i will know more abour his condition over the next couple of days..since my grandad refused to take anything cannabis related i haven't read much on the oils tbh.. ive got exodus in hand now but if other strain is needed i will get the seeds ordered and get it going asap at his place.
You’ll definitely want some CBD too. Generally you’re looking for ratios of THC - CBD between 2:1 and up to 4:1 depending on how the persons cancer responds.

I would concider Candida CD1 by MMG Genetics. They are all lab tested with CBD averaging 15%.

I’ll put everything in one thread if you want?

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Chew wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:15 pm
I’ll put everything in one thread if you want?
If that's easier for you, then please go ahead. We appreciate your help and expertise on the matter.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Return to “Medical Cannabis”