CBD and THC – How they interact with the endocannabinoid system

Medicinal & health benefits of cannabis
MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

May help some fellow brothers or sisters in pain

You already know that both CBD and THC engage with the human body. In particular, they interact with the endocannabinoid system or ECS to maintain homeostasis or balance. The ECS is a network of several receptors and is vital to maintaining various functions. It contains receptors like CB1 and CB2 that bind with CBD and THC.

While CB1 receptors found in regions of the brain are responsible for maintaining memory, mood, emotions and motor coordination, CB2 receptors are scattered in different parts of the body including the immune and nervous system. When you consume or smoke cannabis, cannabinoids like THC bind with the receptors and you’ll notice health benefits whether it’s a reduction in pain or an increase in focus.

Going back to the chemical structure, remember that although they appear very similar there’s a microscopic difference. And, this is where you’ll notice the bigger difference. Due to a difference in the chemical structure, THC and CBD don’t bind with the receptors in a similar manner. Thus, the effects are drastically different.

First off, THC binds itself to the receptor CB1 pretty easily. This is usually described as a relation between a lock and a key where the key is designed to fit the lock perfectly. Now, as soon as THC binds itself, it creates and sends signals to the brain. In common terms, this is described as a cannabis user getting “high”. This psychoactive effect is nothing but the effect of THC binding itself with the receptor. At this point, the brain also releases spurts of dopamine that makes you happy.

If the amount of THC is too much, the receptors are switched off and the body begins the process of removing the excess. This is also why you experience paranoia or hallucinations when you’ve ingested too much THC. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but some people will not be able to adjust to the effects.

On the other hand, CBD doesn’t bind with receptors. It works effectively as a negative esoteric modulator where it binds with receptors in other locations and changes the structure. Thus, when CBD changes the physical structure of the CB1 receptors, THC is unable to bind with them effectively. In other words, the key no longer fits perfectly.

Due to this, CBD counters the negative effects of THC including dry eyes and dry mouth. The psychoactive effects are also reduced to an extent. THC and CBD offer several medicinal benefits but not everyone is comfortable with the psychoactive effects. Due to CBD’s nature, it allows you to gain the benefits without you feeling “high”.

For this very reason, you can use either CBD alone or use products that include both CBD and THC since CBD reduces the negative effects anyway.
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 6):
Keeno (Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:23 am) • IMO (Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:05 am) • Guest (Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:28 am) • GMO (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 am) • wutang (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:49 pm) • sybarite (Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Re: CBD and THC – How they interact with the endocannabinoid system

Post by Keeno »

Nice info @MrNice
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:38 pm) • wutang (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:57 pm)

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

Nice article Mrnan I find all this very fascinating, I have read in a few places that Cbd reduces the enzyme that breaks down anandamide therefore increasing its effects, amazing plant we use 🙏. I definitely prefer high Cbd strains I find them relaxing without a heady high.
These users thanked the author IMO for the post:
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:40 pm)

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

Question @MrNice when decarbing does it make cbd or the thc more or less potent? AMD also would decarbing give you more benifts doing both thc and cbd together so that it can balance the effects of the thc from the cbd but still getting a bit of the high but also getting the benifts of the cbd aswell to the other parts of the body ?
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post (total 2):
Guest (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:29 am) • MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 pm)

Post by Guest »

@Wayne36 From my understanding decarbing converts THC delta 9 into THCV, which makes is available for the body to absorb easier.

I remember breaking a bone before. I had taken a break from smoking weed at the time, all I did was craved a good smoke, maybe this was because I was sseking out the cannabinoids :idn:

This is interesting stuff.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 pm) • Wayne36 (Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Norseman
Known User

Post by Norseman »

Nice post @DIY.Rik I also find this kind of info truly interesting.

These plants have so much benefits to our bodies and despite that it is such a resistance towards making it legal to grow for your own use :thanks:
These users thanked the author Norseman for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:41 pm) • wutang (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm)
In the Silence lies the Power

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Chad.Westport wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm
DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 am
@Wayne36 From my understanding decarbing converts THC delta 9 into THCV, which makes is available for the body to absorb easier.

I remember breaking a bone before. I had taken a break from smoking weed at the time, all I did was craved a good smoke, maybe this was because I was sseking out the cannabinoids :idn:

This is interesting stuff.
I understand decarboxylating as converting THCa to THC. THCa in itself is the acidic version of THC which does hold medicinal values, mainly in anti-inflammatory situations, but THCa is not psychoactive. When you heat the molecule, the "a" drops off of the chain and you get THC, which is psychoactive. Which is then known as the Delta-9 version. When you eat cannabis, your liver heats the THC and converts it to s different form, Delta-11 and this produces the high from edibles, not THC delta-9.

This applies to other cannabinoids as well, CBDa become CBD, CBGa become CBG etc. when heated.
Chad knows his shiz........... :clap:
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
wutang (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Nice post dude. I've heard that THC and CBD 1:1 ratios are required when dealing with cancers and CBD on its own maybe not as effective. Also some hormonal cancers require a high CBD ratio to THC otherwise it can make the cancer more aggressive.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Also isolates are not as effective as full plant extracts, as the full plant delivers the "entourage effect" where all the other compounds such as CBG, CBN and many more are present to work together to restore homeostasis in the body.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 pm)

Post by Guest »

Chad.Westport wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:25 pm
I understand decarboxylating as converting THCa to THC. THCa
Yeah I noticed that on a website earlier, my bad :ak: :suicide:

THCV is actually an antagonist for THC apparently it stated also??
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
MrNice (Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:58 pm)

Return to “Medical Cannabis”