THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD effects

Medicinal & health benefits of cannabis
duke
Respected Member

THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD effects

Post by duke »

THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD
Hi folks,

I found this useful It's just a quick run down of the main cannabinoids and their medical benefits.

THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD

The most common cannabinoids in cannabis are THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD. Since the 1980’s, the discovery of cannabinoid receptor cells has produced multitudes of research of the effects and workings of canabinoids. It was first hypothesized that cannabinoids produced their physiological and behavorial effects via non-specific interaction with cell membranes. It is now known that cannbinoids interact with specific membrane-bound receptors commonly found in mammals, birds, fish and reptiles. At present, there are two known types of cannabinoid receptors, termed CB1 and CB2.
When considering cannabis as an alternative medicine, it is important to remember that each cannabis strain has a unique chemical composition with varying amounts of THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD. Each strain can affect each person differently. Additionally, cultivation artists are taking cannabis strains and altering their genetic DNA by breeding the best characteristics from each plant. Thus, there are thousands of different variations of the cannabis plant.
Our friends at Canna test provided us with a quick visual profile of the potency of cannabinoids, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD. Take some moments to look and become an educated cannabis connoisseur and start bragging to your friends about how much you know about this natural vegetative delight.

Cannabinoid Effects, features & Medical Applications

THC
Tetrahydrocannabinol

Brief:
Responsible for the ‘’High’’-effect (psychotropic): it amplifies all sensory functions such as sight, hearing, color sensitivity and increases sexual arousal and a greater sense of well being. Produces strong feelings of euphoria. Sharpens the mind (cerebral) and promotes creativity. Analgesic (pain relieving), sedative, relaxing, energetic, promotes creativity.
Discovery:
1964, Gaoni and Mechoulm, Weizmann Institue Rehovot.

Known Medicinal Benefits:

Anxiolytic – reduces the symptoms of anxiety
Neuroprotective – protects against nerve damage
Antispasmodic – relieves spasms and convulsions
Antiemetic – reduces vomiting and nausea
Analgesic – reduces pain
Appetite Stimulant – encourages eating and appetite
Antioxidant – fights free radicals in the bloodstream
Neuropathic analgesic – reduces pain from nerve damage
Bronchi-dialator -acts similarly to an inhaler to assist asthmatics with breathing
Anti-proliferative anticancer – reduces spread of certain cancers
Anti-inflammatory – reduces inflammation
Neurogenesis – promotes growth of new nerve tissue
Neuroprotectant – protects nerves from damage

THCV Tetrahydrocannabivarin

Brief:
A psychoactive cannabinoid found along with THC in cannabis, research has shown that, in low doses, THCV will increase the effects of THC (strongly potentiating THC, provoking a heavy, stronger and faster “High”-effect) but in larger doses THCV is believed to oppose the effects of THC. Recent research into THCV has focused on its ability to reduce appetite.
Discovery: 1970, Edward Gil and colleagues, UK
Known medical benefits:

Apetite suppressant

CBD Cannabidiol

Brief:

CBD works antagonistically in the micromolar range; it has an opposite effect of THC. It reduces the psychoactive effect, or the ‘’high’’ of THC, but in contrast, it will prolong slowly but increasingly this effect strongly. Not psychoactive. Effective against anxiety and stress (sedative). Strong muscle relaxation, especially on the smooth muscle fibers thus reducing muscle spasms.
Discovery:
1940, first isolated by Adams and colleagues, and stereochemically determined in 1963 by Mechoulam and Shvo.

Anxiolytic – reduces the symptoms of anxiety.
Antiepileptic - reduces seizures and convulsions
Neuroprotective – protects against nerve damage
Vasorelaxant – reduces tension in blood vessel walls
Antispasmodic – relieves spasms and convulsions
Anti-ischemic – reduces risk of artery blockage
Antiemetic – reduces vomiting and nausea
Antibacterial – kills surface bacteria
Antidiabetic – reduces blood sugar levels
Antipsoriatic – reduces effects of psoriasis
Antipsychotic – reduces psychosis including delusions or hallucinations
Analgesic – reduces pain
Bone-stimulant – promotes bone growth
Intestinal anti-prokinetic – reduces contractions in the small intestine
Antiproliferative anticancer – reduces spread of certain cancers
Immunosuppressant – reduces function in immune system

CBN Cannabinol
Brief:

Mildly psychoactive, sedative, analgesic. CBN is, just like aspirin, a non-narcotic type analgesic, but 3x as strong. CBN is a breakdown product of THC. During storage (aging) CBN will slowly increase as THC deteriorates. CBN is effective at relieving tension headache.

Discovery:
1896, Wood and colleagues in Cambridge, the first natural cannabinoid to be obtained in pure form

• Antispasmodic – relieves spasms and convulsions

Analgesic – reduces pain
Antioxidant – fights free radicals in the bloodstream

CBG Cannabigerol
Brief:

Sedative, CBG tends to be higher in cannabis species without much THC (hemp varieties) and has hitherto been found only in trace amounts in most marijuana strains. CBG is the precursor form of a few of the other cannabinoids including THC and CBD. While little research has been conducted on CBG, it has been found to have medical properties including acting as a sedative, sleep inducer. Anti-microbial properties make it effective in treating bacterial infections.
Discovery:

1964 Gaoni and Mechoulam

Antibacterial – kills surface bacteria
Anti-microbial
Antiproliferative – inhibits cell growth
Bone Stimulant – promotes bone growth

CBC Cannabichromene

Brief:
Non-psychoactive cannabinoid that also potentiates THC. It interacts in an as yet unknown way with THC to make the ‘’high’’ more intense and pronounced. it is also considered a strong sedative and analgesic.

Discovery:
1966 independently reported by Claussen and colleagues as well as Gaoni and Mechoulam.

Analgesic – reduces pain
Bone Stimulant – promotes bone growth
Antimicrobial – kills bacteria or fungi
Antiproliferative – inhibits cell growth
Vasoconstriction - constricting of the blood vessels
Effective treatment of migraine

THCA
D9-Tetrahydrocannabinolic Acid

Brief:
D9-THC has two acidic analogs: D9-THCA A and D9-THCA Bc. D9-THCA

Discovery:
D9-THCA A, first extracted by Korte and coworkers (1965), was isolated as a pure compound in 1967 by Nishioka’s group. In 1969, Mechoulam and coworkers reported the isolation of D9-THCA B.
Known medical benefits:

Anti-proliferative
Anti-spasmodic
Anti-inflamatory

CBDA Cannabidiolic Acid
Brief:

The first cannabinoid acidc to be discovered, Together with CBD, CBDA is the main component of glandular hairs (up to 15%). In fresh plant material, 95% of CBD exists as its acid.
Discovery: 1955, Isolated by Krejci and Santavy.

Known Medical Benefits:
• Anti-proliferative actions

References Angelo A. Izzo1,4, Francesca Borrelli1,4, Raffaele Capasso1,4, Vincenzo Di Marzo2,4 and Raphael Mechoulam3. (2009) Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an ancient herb. TIPS-730. 13
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy 2 Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, National Research Council, Pozzuoli (NA), Italy 3Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Natural Products, Hebrew University Medical Faculty, Jerusalem, Israel 4Endocannabinoid Research Group, Italy
R.J. Glas Alpha Nova Pharma Wageningen
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 4):
flip (Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm) • FX (Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:01 pm) • Wake_n_bake73 (Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 pm) • Jayme Ream (Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:40 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Philzon   Vape4Ever
Egzoset

Re: THC, THCV, CBG, CBC, CBN, and CBD effects

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations,

The "Légaleezation" of Trudeau damaged my trust & faith in "science" so much i don't feel like paying attention anymore, yet the title inspired me this animated illustration created by using material from an old Leafly article (on THC/CBD ratios, as i recall):

One of the most evident conclusion to me is that this basically reflects man-made genetic selection over history, THC-centric at 1st (hence denser), then more recently a pair of prohibitionist-driven categories (to deny "ephoric" effects, etc.). IMO true balance can't be found anywhere close to boundary extremes as with those clusters as i even came to consider that going "1:1" or so-called "ballanced" ain't really balanced at all - not for those like myself who do fully welcome THC's effects anyway!

:bye:

Good day, have fun!! Image
These users thanked the author Egzoset for the post:
duke (Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:48 am)
Vaporist of Borg.

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

Egzoset wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:56 pm
Salutations,

The "Légaleezation" of Trudeau damaged my trust & faith in "science" so much i don't feel like paying attention anymore, yet the title inspired me this animated illustration created by using material from an old Leafly article (on THC/CBD ratios, as i recall):

One of the most evident conclusion to me is that this basically reflects man-made genetic selection over history, THC-centric at 1st (hence denser), then more recently a pair of prohibitionist-driven categories (to deny "ephoric" effects, etc.). IMO true balance can't be found anywhere close to boundary extremes as with those clusters as i even came to consider that going "1:1" or so-called "ballanced" ain't really balanced at all - not for those like myself who do fully welcome THC's effects anyway!

hi egzoset sorry i missed your initial reply im just finding my around this forum and only just learned to subscribe a thread,
imo cbd is massive hype and a good way of selling what a few years ago would be called ditchweed! other than a mild anti inflamatory i think its mostly perceived benefits are placebo effect mostly.
in nature it seems the so called balance favours thc and often 1-3% cbd seems about right ime tis why i love the barneys tangerine dream she been lab tested 3 times over 7 years of continued cloning and still 22% thc and 1.75% cbd this seems to be the best ratio for myself and my tina,
i did grow dna el fuego which is an odd one as in produces masses of oil and has strong pain killing power and aids sleep very well but lab test was only 15% THC AND 3% CBD,TO ME THIS SAYS THAT THE MEDICAL PART IS NOT THE PREDOMINANT CANNABINOIDS BUT THE SO CALLED ENTOURAGE EFFECT. sorry bloody caps lock! i am currently growing barneys vanilla kush which will be interesting to have the oil tested and find out how it compares to its relative the tangie,both are high thc and have same ancestor on the male side,cheers for reply its very interesting subject,peace

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Hi @duke

Where do you get your dope tested if I may ask?

Is it expensive?

See, I want to get some tests done around weeks 6-10, weekly of a sacrificial branch, just to see when peak psychoactive levels are during flowering of a certain strain. But the place I found is £60 a test. :Shock:

Thanks dude!

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:00 pm
Hi @duke

Where do you get your dope tested if I may ask?

Is it expensive?

See, I want to get some tests done around weeks 6-10, weekly of a sacrificial branch, just to see when peak psychoactive levels are during flowering of a certain strain. But the place I found is £60 a test. :Shock:

Thanks dude!

hi marcus i am lucky i have a good friend and fellow grower who is laboratory supervisor. and can if im patient enough use the uni mass spec for testing but that way i do not get written results/
but i believe cannalabs in spain test for 50 euros by postal service though ive not used them myself as i could not afford it,costs me a beer and a few grams of tangie! only downside is often 6-7 weeks waiting for results,not sure we have any uk based yet i doubt id trust them even if we did!take care :bye:
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:22 pm) • GMO (Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm)

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations Duke,
duke wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:31 am
hi egzoset...
Egzoset wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:55 am
...the name is Egzoset with a capital "E" or just don't use it at all...
Egzoset wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:52 pm
...Egzo if you feel this close...
Finger-typing on an iPhone perhaps?
duke wrote:
...CBD is massive hype...
M'yeah. Without mercantile value, in the beginning.
duke wrote:
...i think its mostly perceived benefits are placebo ...
If it's true that CBD molecules can occupy the same "receptor" sites as for THC then it's a lot more than that. There's a need to distinguish between short-term vs long-term benefits as well.
duke wrote:
...in nature it seems the so called balance favours THC and often 1-3% CBD seems about right...
Looking at that previous graph i fail to see how to reach your conclusion. Of course there's a natural limit on the amount of cannabinoïds (and their other associated pro-cannabic molecules) which can be genetically encoded and a plant must meet its own basic requirements simply to survive and propagate, such global boundary being represented by the amber zone as i recall. In any case these 4 specific groups weren't the work of dame Nature alone, i don't buy that for a split-second.
duke wrote:
...7 years of continued cloning and still 22% THC and 1.75% CBD...
Bigot prohibitionists as from the UN/WHO are quick to demonize THC and praise the merits of CBD in a binary fashion; i find such extremes only express a bit of human blindness, each time causing these self-serving individuals to fall into absolutes (prohibitionism can prove to be a full-time job). Most unfortunately both types of markets continue to keep THC and CBD separate although healthwise consumers would actually prefer that THC *AND* CBD work in tandem together, in ratios suitable for the person's own needs.

The fact is if a Québeker travels to the next nearby city to be "legal" he's presented a difficult dilemma indeed, because SQdC's offer still perpetuates socio-toxic extremes TODAY... Consequently, having to deal with a limit of 28 g each time you'd get to decide if you'll purchase a full bag of THC-centric, Full-CBD or "Balanced" (1:1) mari-caca, or 2 x 15 g blends made of both THC & CBD resulting in the so-called balanced mix again! Or get 6 x 3.5 g THC-centric + 2 x 3.5 g CBD (e.g. 4:1) - which implies a lot of single-use plastic packaging, on the land of cap'tain Itnoc!...

It turns out the 2:1, 3:1 ... even 4:1 ratios are simply left practically unexplored and our politicians must feel quite satisfied with it i think.
duke wrote:
...THE MEDICAL PART IS NOT THE PREDOMINANT CANNABINOIDS BUT THE SO CALLED ENTOURAGE EFFECT...
Well i never heard of medical (combustion) smoke and after witnessing the life of alcoholics 1st-hand it's difficult to reconcile medicine with death from organ failures after years of legal consumption abuse. The whole notion of "medical" cannabis only serves prohibitionists with zero notions of proportionality, but i also understand that's a short-cut the users finally adopted themselves. Please try to enumerate anything else that law divides as "medical" vs "criminal"/"recreative" which is said to be "habit-forming", starting with predatory therapy based on scientology-insipred "treatment" à la Narconon in political circles, for example...

:drama:

Briefly put i just can't buy 2:1 (THC:CBD) anywhere, imagine searching for entourage hints on SQdC's labels! Not to mention PCP "traces" that can escape detection anyway, but perhaps not the sensitive antennas of nuisible insects when juxtaposed in synergy-boosting soups. Otherwise why keep even banned PCP canisters on site, after all!?...
duke wrote:
...very interesting subject...
Lots of unknowns await serious/objective science, so does your life expectancy extend to the next century??

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

hi i should clarify i speak only from my little experience being in a country its hard to get our cannabis tested and ime and that of my small circle of fellow cannabis oil users the average of the particular strains chosen for testing came from as near original afghan landrace to be precise tirah valley afghan,mine was tested and a friends only a couple of phenos arose from 15 plants and the choice was made from the 5 most uniform plants after removing males and from them the average thc was 15% and between 1.75-3% cbd , so im not saying all is like this just my personal experience.
as to smoking well yes i wish i never had but a bit late to worry after 50 years smoking spliffs all day and i hope to live atleast long enough to see my favorite bonsai tree in full flower again,every 10 yrs or so if your lucky!
as for the cbd thing here it is hard to buy real cbd oil unless you can afford to import it or are rich,my fave mad aunty has bought at great expense so called cbd oil that was clearly mostly olive oil and a declared as cbd oil but no detail at all as to origin and despite my warning her she bought it and was useless medicine for her and until a proper bad episode she would not use a thc oil,but displaced hip and pain prompted her to try my oil and she said it was brill and took her pain away made her sleep and eat,so i keep on doing her a small batch when we have spare and stops her getting ripped of! :ak: like i say im no expert but do know what works for myself and my beloved tina, tangerine dream oil is the very best ive found and you dont get bored of it like most ,btw i have only 1 working hand hence 1 finger typing and not good sight without glasses which i ave lost,so soz if ur name was wrong ,peace :oik!:
These users thanked the author duke for the post:
Treetrunk (Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:30 pm)

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Hummm...

Well i live in a post "légaleezation" environment and those who wish to evaluate CBD actually face insurmountable barriers as well, cost being a common one in a province as mine where appartment rents are low in comparison to the rest of Canada... Last time i cared to check, an elder with some diagnostic similar to Alzheimer's dementia and who depends exclusively on our SQdC shall find out it's going to require over a dozen CBD (simili) beers each day just to get access to a useful dosage. As for our PM raising the legal age to 21 yrs it's got to be the result of an irrational fear that otherwise our young adults might happen to be the SQdC's worst competitors, indirectly rendering this very same SQdC responsible for providing access to minors and this would be a political nightmare considering that's supposed to "save" children while fighting "black market", the later being probably demographically amplified by Trudeau virtually criminalizing the sort of "craft" cultivators we'd all wish to do business with.

Besides of that an LP claiming to be the world's Bio/Organic leader today didn't happen to even own real installations nor a land to build it on until very recently (!):

Anyway, past 21 most adults gradually migrate from schools to workplaces, i figure. Our "elites" ain't any better than yours or CBD would sell at the local grocery store - since the UN/WHO jointly declared it "danger-free", essentially. Instead responsible law-abiding seniors get treated much the same as 3rd-zone citizens. Etc.

To me testing is of significantly less importance since i heard of our early-installed LP monopolies working to define non-detection levels for "PCPs", 96 only a few years later (Washington had a list of 200+ in Harper days, as i recall)! The "industry" exploited their best resources to find the non-detection level(s) of BANNED Pest Control Products, which means now we must detect 1-out-of-96 or nothing happens, naturally. So Myclobutanil remains banned but Trudeau allowed H.-C. + his "Task Force" to allow LPs to play cat 'n mouse it seems.

Imagine 0.01 ppm (in fresh vegetal & oil) multiplied by the dozen, knowing toxicities boost each other mutually.
[ https:// www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/banned-pesticide-found-at-medical-marijuana-company/article34882109/ ]
Banned pesticide found at medical marijuana company (2017-May-3)

« In fact, the effects of inhaling myclobutanil through smoking have NEVER been studied and its manufacturer, Dow AgroSciences, said in January it has no intention to seek such approval for the product. »
Euh... Does that sound anything close to an appetizer?? Salivating at the idea of PCP savvy non-detection soups?...

:angry:

Normally one would say the deal is off: please don't call back, never return! Too bad there are ZERO alternative competitors to add weight in our favour.

I was greatly disapointed with Québec's 1 and only LP near 2016, namely Hydropothecary/Hexo, because of the Myclobutanil affair that i tagged "Kosher Zyklon", eventually... The selling of our 1 and only bio/organic LP to Cannara leaves me some feeling of dejà vu, like we're still accessorial to this new industry where the true product is their consumers themselves.

These users thanked the author Egzoset for the post:
Treetrunk (Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Post by Treetrunk »

Egzoset wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
Hummm...

Well i live in a post "légaleezation" environment and those who wish to evaluate CBD actually face insurmountable barriers as well, cost being a common one in a province as mine where appartment rents are low in comparison to the rest of Canada... Last time i cared to check, an elder with some diagnostic similar to Alzheimer's dementia and who depends exclusively on our SQdC shall find out it's going to require over a dozen CBD (simili) beers each day just to get access to a useful dosage. As for our PM raising the legal age to 21 yrs it's got to be the result of an irrational fear that otherwise our young adults might happen to be the SQdC's worst competitors, indirectly rendering this very same SQdC responsible for providing access to minors and this would be a political nightmare considering that's supposed to "save" children while fighting "black market", the later being probably demographically amplified by Trudeau virtually criminalizing the sort of "craft" cultivators we'd all wish to do business with.

Besides of that an LP claiming to be the world's Bio/Organic leader today didn't happen to even own real installations nor a land to build it on until very recently (!):

Anyway, past 21 most adults gradually migrate from schools to workplaces, i figure. Our "elites" ain't any better than yours or CBD would sell at the local grocery store - since the UN/WHO jointly declared it "danger-free", essentially. Instead responsible law-abiding seniors get treated much the same as 3rd-zone citizens. Etc.

To me testing is of significantly less importance since i heard of our early-installed LP monopolies working to define non-detection levels for "PCPs", 96 only a few years later (Washington had a list of 200+ in Harper days, as i recall)! The "industry" exploited their best resources to find the non-detection level(s) of BANNED Pest Control Products, which means now we must detect 1-out-of-96 or nothing happens, naturally. So Myclobutanil remains banned but Trudeau allowed H.-C. + his "Task Force" to allow LPs to play cat 'n mouse it seems.

Imagine 0.01 ppm (in fresh vegetal & oil) multiplied by the dozen, knowing toxicities boost each other mutually.
[ https:// www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/banned-pesticide-found-at-medical-marijuana-company/article34882109/ ]
Banned pesticide found at medical marijuana company (2017-May-3)

« In fact, the effects of inhaling myclobutanil through smoking have NEVER been studied and its manufacturer, Dow AgroSciences, said in January it has no intention to seek such approval for the product. »
Euh... Does that sound anything close to an appetizer?? Salivating at the idea of PCP savvy non-detection soups?...

:angry:

Normally one would say the deal is off: please don't call back, never return! Too bad there are ZERO alternative competitors to add weight in our favour.

I was greatly disapointed with Québec's 1 and only LP near 2016, namely Hydropothecary/Hexo, because of the Myclobutanil affair that i tagged "Kosher Zyklon", eventually... The selling of our 1 and only bio/organic LP to Cannara leaves me some feeling of dejà vu, like we're still accessorial to this new industry where the true product is their consumers themselves.

I think I'll stick to growing my own.
The safest option. Unfortunately that makes me a criminal.
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post (total 2):
duke (Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 am) • Egzoset (Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 pm)

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

Egzoset,this shows some of the problems we encounter when trying to buy proper tested certified clean cbd oil,from our friend jeff ditchfield and bud buddies, https://www.budbuddies.co.uk/cannabis-oil-scammers/ :lol: if it wasnt so sad it would be funny.
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
Treetrunk (Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am) • Egzoset (Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm)

Return to “Medical Cannabis”