The Ethics Of Breeding - The Debate

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

The Ethics Of Breeding Debate

I was very kindly asked to judge on a debate that looks like it will be ongoing. The idea behind the debate is breeding and more importantly who owns rights to genetics and if a system would be brought in how should it be implemented. I've put the video above so people can see the debate in full. I believe there will be more to follow given more questions than answers were left on the table.

One of the ideas being put forward is a DNA type system so new strains can be tracked as to where the genetics to make the strain have come from. I have to admit i really enjoyed the whole thing and its got me looking at benefits to both sides to the argument.

Ill add they the statements were pre prepared so may or may not be the the actual person putting forward the arguments true feeling on the matter. As its a interesting and current topic i thought id get a topic up on the forum to see the thoughts of community on the subject.

For me personally the whole idea of having a DNA tracing system is brilliant, medical users would be able to track down exactly what makes up a strain that helps with a certain illness or pain. The idea of suddenly making all breeders have to pay royalties or something else to a another breeder for using their genetics doesn't sit well with me. On the one side of the argument and a very valid point is that someone can spend many years working on a strain, release the seeds and someone can start working with them seeds negating 6 years of work. My argument is where did the person who spent the 6 years working on a strain get his genetics?

99% of breeders imo start with someone else's seeds. So does the new system start from today, yesterday, 10 years ago, where do you draw the line. I don't like that a breeder can spend years of their life perfecting a strain to have someone immediately use his hard work to create something new, but the hole in the argument for me is the word "new".

What also come up is that landraces or at least the places they come from would get a cut of these percentages. I like this. It would put a value on the areas these strains grow naturally. Meaning there is a good reason to keep the environments and places these strains grow in healthy and unpolluted. But again, this would mean the DNA tracing being proposed would have to start at the source for the royalties and rights to use someone else's genetics. Which in turn means we would have to start from day 1 of the first traceable person to have ever worked a strain.

Its a can of worms for sure. I put forward an idea of legally having to acknowledge which strains/breeders you have used to create your new strain, a data sheet type document. The DNA testing being proposed would mean people cannot lie about whats in the new strain. By giving credit to the previous breeder it would show that the previous breeder had genetics that contributed to a very popular new strain. This would see people recognising hard work, but to bring in a royalty/percentage type set up is madness to me personally. Where does it start.

A interesting discussion and a good old debate. thoughts?

Full credit to Pete and the lads on Operation Grow for setting up the debate, if you dont follow them you should, great info and a few laughs in their videos.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 6):
MrNice (Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:57 pm) • Trex (Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:58 pm) • Mrs Beefheart (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:23 pm) • camkush (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:58 pm) • Fumidor (Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:41 am) • Cave Hill Cole (Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:29 am)

Trex

Post by Trex »

like GMO corn and soy and all those patented crops , Big corps sueing farmers for cross contamination , its a slippery slope i tell ya .

Its life , no patents needed thank you very much .

Big Agriculture is diving head first in this right now . Sueing small growers experimenting will be the next step for these bastards .

Thats my .2cents .

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
These users thanked the author Trex for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:59 pm) • MrNice (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:05 pm) • TTL (Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:06 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Re: The Ethics Of Breeding - The Debate

Post by MrNice »

At the end of the day it boils down to money i guess and this market is worth billions
do i dare mension monsanto seed patents

see where this is going

Mrnice thoughts
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:07 pm) • Trex (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:25 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Trex wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:58 pm
like GMO corn and soy and all those patented crops , Big corps sueing farmers for cross contamination , its a slippery slope i tell ya .

Its life , no patents needed thank you very much .

Big Agriculture is diving head first in this right now . Sueing small growers experimenting will be the next step for these bastards .

Thats my .2cents .

Beat me to it..............LOL im with you trex :clap:
we know where this is going
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:10 pm) • Trex (Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:25 pm)

camkush
GR420 Moobs Of The Year

Post by camkush »

Hell yeah, this has me excited. Thanks for the link i think this will be a great discussion to hear
These users thanked the author camkush for the post:
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:00 pm)
Roll Tide :barmy:
#ProtectDiscord

TTL
Known User

Post by TTL »

Give big money a way to differentiate each strain in a definitive matter and just like Trex said, big money will own most every strain and will not allow you to grow it cheaply or at all. Not sure why some in the cannabis world are so polyannish on these things. Even if we lived in a totally different world and corporations weren’t allowed to own strains, trustafarian growers and whatnot would own the strains and would tell all of us wanting to grow them to kick rocks. I’m not sure what’s going to come first though, big money owning the strains and limiting the public’s access to them or big money producing on such a large scale they can undercut the price on everyone.
These users thanked the author TTL for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:13 pm) • MrNice (Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:14 pm) • Trex (Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:19 pm)

Trex

Post by Trex »

TTL wrote:Give big money a way to differentiate each strain in a definitive matter and just like Trex said, big money will own most every strain and will not allow you to grow it cheaply or at all. Not sure why some in the cannabis world are so polyannish on these things. Even if we lived in a totally different world and corporations weren’t allowed to own strains, trustafarian growers and whatnot would own the strains and would tell all of us wanting to grow them to kick rocks. I’m not sure what’s going to come first though, big money owning the strains and limiting the public’s access to them or big money producing on such a large scale they can undercut the price on everyone.
Spectrum Cannabis and a few other Big Canna producers sell clones n seeds here .
They refuse to tell me the crosses and methods used under the cloak of proprietorship , i told em to squarely to fawk themselves ,
Selling a 6 pack of clones for 400$ lmfaooooo , yea ok

Let em all burn a slow painful death then mom n pop shops with good business ethics and values will take over at 1/10th the cost .

These users thanked the author Trex for the post:
NiGHTMARE (Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:29 pm)

Fumidor

Post by Fumidor »

Hey I was there too! I hope they do it regularly it could be a lot of fun.
These users thanked the author Fumidor for the post:
Keeno (Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 am)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”