Cannabis breeding and simple genetics

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: Cannabis breeding and simple genetics

Post by GMO »

This is normally where the algebra comes in. Its a lot harder than I thought without some kinda numbers for people to see

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

MrMan
Respected Member

Post by MrMan »

goid write up buddy
“You’ll only die from cannabis if someone drops a 4kg block of it on you from a three-storey building.”

Last Diary

Kali Dog Areoponics Scrog

IF KEENO IS MENTORING YOU DO THE OPPOSITE THAT HE SAYS AND YOU'LL HAVE MONSTERS

ShitsNgiggles
Has thanked: 0

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

GMO couple small points. F1 refers to filial 1. Mendalian genetics. In fact by putting his basic chart for receive vs dominant and how to bring recessive to dominance would be appropriate.

How do you run a male 3 times over 6 females? You have some good points.

However. By understanding a land races characteristics it is easy to identify dominant vs recessive or in some cases non existent. Like humans cannabis land race often has different mixes of extinct wild cannabis in their genetics. Australian bastard cannabis is one such example of an ancient cannabis type. It's genetics however do not exist in modern strains and it only breeds with southern hemisphere sativa. Possibly suggesting a common ancestor although not necessarily the same lineage (ie African sativa are not descended from abc).

Automatics are a fun pile of mutation. By breeding with this diminutive member of the canna family we get autos. However to cross an auto to photo you must selectively breed only auto flowering pheno types through 5 generations to stabilize the recessive trait. However back crossing the original parent auto strain once results in the auto feature becoming dominant by the fourth generation or filial 4.

Back crossing may lose some of the desired photo characteristics however a large enough sample used post back cross will allow parents to be selected with more photo characteristics that retain the auto flowering trait. It can also be achieved by breeding with a different auto flowering strain. Again the recessive trait becomes dominant earlier but more variation is introduced to the strain resulting in greater difficulty isolating the photo characteristics with auto flowering traits as you now have a poly hybrid. The strain will take longer to stabilize despite the auto feature becoming dominant earlier.
These users thanked the author ShitsNgiggles for the post (total 3):
GMO (Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 am) • Rubbered (Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:44 pm)

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

Potency male side, growth patterns female. F1 hybrid (hybrid vigor). You select males for resin production and potency, coloration and odour then worry about yield. Females potency, aroma, coloration, growth characteristics. Only by failing in this regard will you lose potency. Male selection is crucial.

Fem seeds is just a way of cloning but with the possibility of recessive genetics appearing. Like any inbred mongrel. Or worse if done poorly hermi. You block ethylene production using CS or STS. GA3 at 100 ppm simulates male ga3 hormone levels and results in a less predictable reversal. CS takes ages but it's easy to store. STS my fab but it's a pain to store and handle.
These users thanked the author ShitsNgiggles for the post:
Rubbered (Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm)

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

Potency male side, growth patterns female. F1 hybrid (hybrid vigor). You select males for resin production and potency, coloration and odour then worry about yield. Females potency, aroma, coloration, growth characteristics. Only by failing in this regard will you lose potency. Male selection is crucial.

Fem seeds is just a way of cloning but with the possibility of recessive genetics appearing. Like any inbred mongrel. Or worse if done poorly hermi. You block ethylene production using CS or STS. GA3 at 100 ppm simulates male ga3 hormone levels and results in a less predictable reversal. CS takes ages but it's easy to store. STS my fav but it's a pain to store and handle.

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

You want a recessive to dominate back cross the recessive strain parent. That simple. Better yet use clones if rapid stability is desired at the risk of excessive inbreeding (weakens the strain).

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

This is my thing, breeding. I'm not really a grower. I grow to breed, not to smoke. I smoke, obviously, but more into breeding.

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

Have not even started on photos, synthetic breeding, poly hybrids, inbred lines, land races, clone only strains... we will, we will. 😊

Different hormones that are produced during flower. If your serious about breeding:

1. Have a goal.
2. Why do you want to cross these plants to achieve this goal. What is the desired outcome?
3. Which plants from your sample match this?
4. How far do you want to go true ibl or just clone an f1 hybrid? Do you want to carry the strain ie use regular breeding? Or do you want an unstable novel hybrid reversed S1 ie black berry reversed x headband. Note this is a dead line it cannot evolve or be improved past this point except to have a pheno identified, clones taken and reversed. However by S2 there is limited prospect for further evolution or improvement without introducing a male component.
Rubbered (Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:49 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

ShitsNgiggles wrote:This is my thing, breeding. I'm not really a grower. I grow to breed, not to smoke. I smoke, obviously, but more into breeding.
Thanks very much for the input dude. I'm not actually breeding as it stand but was trying to help people understand the concepts involved without getting to complex

If you have any additional info or input dude. Please add it all in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ShitsNgiggles

Post by ShitsNgiggles »

Then how do you do.it?. indoors in a tent with 8 plant sample. That's fine for f1 but to carry the line you need larger samples. We will talk about line divergence covering true ibl breeding. My advice if you have a large greenhouse, that's ideal. Heating and supplemental lighting.

Choosing a parent. P1 and p2. Parent one and parent 2. So I mentioned choosing male for potency. That's one reason regular seeds are superior to feminized. I'm not anti fem I create them a lot. They just are weaker IMEE. Once you chemically force a reversal you will understand.

So our male chosen for visible trichomes, resin, smell, yield and growth patterns. Female chosen for trichs. potency, resin, color, smell, yield, growth characteristics. Collect male pollen and place it on the exposed hairs of the female with a cotton tip. I cut the flowering male crown off and place on a plate in a dark, dry room. Then a a tip rubbed in pollen. Q tip applied to female hairs on chosen site. I carry a water bottle and wait a minute then spray the area with water. This neutralizes the male pollen rendering it inert.

This pollinate the female and 6 weeks later ripe baby seeds ready to collect and grow.
Rubbered (Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”