Seeds from Nanners..

Cannabis breeding and related discussions
Tictok
Known User

Seeds from Nanners..

Post by Tictok »

No, not seeds from your Nan! (Unless she grows fire!)

So I've heard that many elite cuts came from accidental pollination. But how reliable is seed from a plant that has hermed and pollinated another?

I've currently got two old school NL5 clones in flower and sat between them is the original Sweet Tooth from spice of life seeds (not the Barneys Farm version).

Here they are;

The NL plants were stressed out due to overwatering some time ago (I have a few clones so it was partly testing their limits) and I also accidentally put a light leak in the tent (prior to the Sweet Tooth going in).

This produced some nanners on the NL that have totally stopped now and I found today some of the NL buds have seeded.

Never made seeds so I'm actually quite proud!

The NLs were reg seeds originally but will these seeds be just fems? And will they be okay or hermy trash?

I probably shouldn't have but I took some nanner pollen and dusted the top of one of the Sweet Tooth branches as well in the hope of making my first cross but I'm guessing if this works the results will be hermy trash also?

I know this is all wrong and I'm doing it all incorrectly but is there any chance that anything good could come from it?

Not worried about the weed being weaker this run, or anything but a fem line of the old school NL does seem appealing, I'm just guessing it will be a waste of time?
These users thanked the author Tictok for the post (total 4):
Guest (Wed May 05, 2021 10:27 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:49 pm) • Pet G (Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:37 am) • Bladed Leaf (Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:51 am)

Point 5
Respected Member

Re: Seeds from Nanners..

Post by Point 5 »

Never clocked this one making seeds but it did so tried pip them amd again they popped.

This is prob no help to you but even seeds you think aren't fertile can be
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
Tictok (Wed May 05, 2021 3:28 pm)
Whoever said the best things in life are free blatantly grew their own pot
:puff puff:

Tictok
Known User

Post by Tictok »

Point 5 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 pm

Never clocked this one making seeds but it did so tried pip them amd again they popped.

This is prob no help to you but even seeds you think aren't fertile can be
Nice. Have you grown them out yet?

I'm after anyone with experience of growing seeds from an accidental self pollination. I suppose the only way of finding out will be to grow them!

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Grow em out!

They should be fems, see if the dope is any good.

:dance:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
Nom (Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am) • Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:40 pm)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

I had that happen as well and am currently growing one of the seeds I got from it. Was originally a Dinamed Kush cbd and was accidentally pollinated by a male skunk plant. Didn’t realize she was a he till the deed was done
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 3):
Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:41 pm) • FX (Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:51 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:32 pm)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

MommaB

Post by MommaB »

The Dinamed Kush cbd was a auto. The skunk a reg super excited to see what they will be. But no seeds as of right now and she’s been stressed from here to kingdom come. And she’s growing in a clear big tub had 3 but 2 where males so they got hacked but she is growin strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm)

MommaB

Post by MommaB »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 2):
Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 pm) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

I've been looking, but can't find the pdf I had of Soma's book "Organic Marijuana" ...

But what he does is, he leaves his females to go an extra week or two and they start chucking nanners... Then he collects the nanners and uses them to make his feminised beans.

I'll have another mooch tomorrow, I know it's on this computer somewhere. :bang head:

However -

If you feel they'll be hermie trash I will happily take the seeds off your hands. :morning:

:lol:

Grow the buggers and good luck!
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
MommaB (Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 pm) • Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:43 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

FOund it...

https://www.e-reading-lib.com/bookreade ... -style.pdf

"Creating feminized cannabis seeds is an art. Just like art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have used gibberellic acid, pH stress, light stress, and fertilizer stress to force my female plants to make seeds. All of these methods are harsh on the plants, and some, like the gibberellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner, more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized seeds. Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, rather than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher pH, some a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like much less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can’t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown the same strains for close to a decade, and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making seeds and in learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method "Rodelization," after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plants in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male "bananas." A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built-in safety factor so that in case of severe conditions, the plant can make sure the species is furthered.

To me, a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female seeds. Many growers out there have male-banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop, or at the very least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emergency devices out. I call them "emergency devices" because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plants 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed, and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one or two months and still remain potent.

For the next phase, you need to have a separate crop that’s already 2 1/2 weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bags of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut all the fans in the growroom down. Then take a very fine paintbrush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with up to 10 different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time (two crops), but is completely organic, and lets you have great-quality smoke at the same time you make your female seeds. If you’re one of those growers who’s never grown seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross-pollinating. The older females with the male bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, unpollinated females after they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later, you will have ripe 100% feminized seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics."
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 5):
ohlordyeah_420 (Wed May 05, 2021 10:56 pm) • MommaB (Wed May 05, 2021 11:22 pm) • GMO (Wed May 05, 2021 11:46 pm) • Tictok (Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:08 am) • Bladed Leaf (Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:48 am)

Point 5
Respected Member

Post by Point 5 »

@Tictok I didn't grow them out, was 9nly second grow I did so was a bit scared to grow them out lol. Looking back I have no idea why I didn't
These users thanked the author Point 5 for the post:
Tictok (Fri May 07, 2021 12:45 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Breeding”