Welcome to the cannabis science and research section. This section is here to discuss scientific ideas, applications and ideas regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Does organic grown really weed taste and smell better than mineral base fert grown weed.

Cannabis research, studies & results
MrNice
Respected Member

Re: Does organic grown really weed taste and smell better than mineral base fert grown weed.

Post by MrNice »

Trex wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 pm
MrNice wrote:Wow didnt have to wait long guys good debate .......................................... :clap: :clap:

With reguards to the weed I know im no howard marks and have only been doing this for just under 2 yrs now but one thing sticks out

The seed or the cutting if there not A1 to start off you wont get good shit Ive seen peeps pop loads of seeds to find that one plant that stands out

good genitcs is a must for best bud in my book

Yeah cant remember who said about the snake oil comp but yes they should all be using the same cuttings to make it a fair comparison too late now plus we cant do the cutting thing its a taboo

Mr marcus will be pulling up a chair on your grow Bro :clap:

:Stoned:
yes ,genetics indeed ,selecting seed from the biggest toughest strongest producing plant is #1!! A good ripened seed is equally as important .

notice how 98% of canna seeds breeders sell us grey/brownish undevelloped seed , were almost doomed from the start !

Ive had my Tomato,Green/Red Pepper, lettuce ,
cucumber,garlic stock and seed saving for 10 years now . They adapt to my weather and other env. conditions etc

These days , breeders are pollen chuckers .
Imagine buying Beefsteak tomato seeds and end up having cherry tomatoes lol , its exactly whats going on in the canna industry . Its become such a rip off and suckers keep buying n buying lol Sucker born every minute i guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Tex

I lik the way you talk.......... :puff puff: ......................... well aleast here the seeds are free and poor keeno has to post them all and pay for the post him self

so cant complain hes a top geezer...........and gr420 for bring us all to together :rock: :rock: :rock:

tex the seed thing twicked my brain so what colour should a good seed be...............?

if grey/brownish undevelloped seeds are nit good

Im still learning all this stuff and love more knowledge

:thanks: :clap:
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Trex (Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:49 pm) • Guest (Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:56 pm)

Trex

Re: Does organic grown really weed taste and smell better than mineral base fert grown weed.

Post by Trex »

MrNice wrote:
Trex wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:22 pm
MrNice wrote:Wow didnt have to wait long guys good debate .......................................... :clap: :clap:

With reguards to the weed I know im no howard marks and have only been doing this for just under 2 yrs now but one thing sticks out

The seed or the cutting if there not A1 to start off you wont get good shit Ive seen peeps pop loads of seeds to find that one plant that stands out

good genitcs is a must for best bud in my book

Yeah cant remember who said about the snake oil comp but yes they should all be using the same cuttings to make it a fair comparison too late now plus we cant do the cutting thing its a taboo

Mr marcus will be pulling up a chair on your grow Bro :clap:

:Stoned:
yes ,genetics indeed ,selecting seed from the biggest toughest strongest producing plant is #1!! A good ripened seed is equally as important .

notice how 98% of canna seeds breeders sell us grey/brownish undevelloped seed , were almost doomed from the start !

Ive had my Tomato,Green/Red Pepper, lettuce ,
cucumber,garlic stock and seed saving for 10 years now . They adapt to my weather and other env. conditions etc

These days , breeders are pollen chuckers .
Imagine buying Beefsteak tomato seeds and end up having cherry tomatoes lol , its exactly whats going on in the canna industry . Its become such a rip off and suckers keep buying n buying lol Sucker born every minute i guess

Hey Tex

I lik the way you talk.......... :puff puff: ......................... well aleast here the seeds are free and poor keeno has to post them all and pay for the post him self

so cant complain hes a top geezer...........and gr420 for bring us all to together :rock: :rock: :rock:

tex the seed thing twicked my brain so what colour should a good seed be...............?

if grey/brownish undevelloped seeds are nit good

Im still learning all this stuff and love more knowledge

:thanks: :clap:
A nice ripened seed will be nice dark brown like picture, undevelloped seeds look small , very light in colour , grey , very lightbrown/khaki ,some even still green . Unripened seeds is what we are all getting fir the most part . In and out as fast they can to make a quick fawking buck Image

These users thanked the author Trex for the post (total 2):
MrNice (Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:03 pm) • Josh (Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:06 pm)

GHO

Post by GHO »

2-Scoops wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:45 pm
I just can`t get my head around why it would be tastier and stronger than summink grown with minerals myself guys. Sort of iff i was using mineral base ferts those ferts are tailored for plants needs or said to be so tip top stuff at right ratios etc getting to plant where its needed at right time in right amounts, unlike organic grown stuff your just slinging owt (maybe not owt but you get gist) in and dont really know what ideal ratio of this that and other is in an exact sense like you do with chemical base ferts.

To me it seems feeding mineral base ferts is like plant playing for Man Utd & organics its more Sutton Utd or another example is mineral base your gonna gym daily where as organics your doing your fitness regime in your garage on a clapped out rowing machine, i know it sounds crazy but i hope you get where im coming from.

I mean ive never seen no actual proof but ive seen plenty of heresay :idn:
There's a lot of research been done with fruit and blind taste tests to see whether organically grown fruit tastes better. General consensus is that in blind tests the organic fruit has more flavour. Although the action is still being researched it's supposed to be down to the microbiology. This to my mind makes sense, with chemical fertilizers you're forcing the plant to drink and grow but there's very little in the way of microbial action in comparison to organic.
The food I grow on my allotment is far tastier than Tesco's mass produced fare. For instance my cucumbers have flavour where I find shop bought have very little and when I slice one open I can smell it straight away.
I think it's generally accepted that people find a different taste between hydro and soil but it's not always certain which one people enjoy. I've met a couple of guys that have no time for the flavour of soil grown, but it's usually the other way around.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 3):
Trex (Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:35 pm) • Guest (Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:07 pm) • 2-Scoops (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm)

Trex

Post by Trex »

GHO wrote:
2-Scoops wrote:
I just can`t get my head around why it would be tastier and stronger than summink grown with minerals myself guys. Sort of iff i was using mineral base ferts those ferts are tailored for plants needs or said to be so tip top stuff at right ratios etc getting to plant where its needed at right time in right amounts, unlike organic grown stuff your just slinging owt (maybe not owt but you get gist) in and dont really know what ideal ratio of this that and other is in an exact sense like you do with chemical base ferts.

To me it seems feeding mineral base ferts is like plant playing for Man Utd & organics its more Sutton Utd or another example is mineral base your gonna gym daily where as organics your doing your fitness regime in your garage on a clapped out rowing machine, i know it sounds crazy but i hope you get where im coming from.

There's a lot of research been done with fruit and blind taste tests to see whether organically grown fruit tastes better. General consensus is that in blind tests the organic fruit has more flavour. Although the action is still being researched it's supposed to be down to the microbiology. This to my mind makes sense, with chemical fertilizers you're forcing the plant to drink and grow but there's very little in the way of microbial action in comparison to organic.
The food I grow on my allotment is far tastier than Tesco's mass produced fare. For instance my cucumbers have flavour where I find shop bought have very little and when I slice one open I can smell it straight away.
I think it's generally accepted that people find a different taste between hydro and soil but it's not always certain which one people enjoy. I've met a couple of guys that have no time for the flavour of soil grown, but it's usually the other way around.
me it aint the fertilizer used that really bithers me , its the synthetic hormones , pedticides and herbicides that cause me great concern .
In all i just want to know what im eating n smoking !

My indoor lettuce grown in coco indoor vs my outdoirs organic garden vs indoor organic , ive made alot of folks taste it , alot cant tell the diff between my organic and my coco grown but i find my organic grown indoor has a slight more savoury taste , my outdoor is a lil more bitter( due to insane heat n humidity in summer ) . and the coco is right smack in the middle

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
These users thanked the author Trex for the post (total 3):
Guest (Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:09 pm) • 2-Scoops (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm) • kbag (Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:05 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

ive done both, lots of times, even together in the same room, at the same time, and honestly- never noticed a blind bit of difference in the end product- its urban myth territory this one.
like said earlier, if its grown right it will taste right, if it is overloaded with nutes throughout its life it will taste like harsh shit- no matter if its coco, mud o hydro imho.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 4):
Nanook (Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:55 pm) • Josh (Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:21 pm) • 2-Scoops (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm) • kbag (Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:04 pm)

Post by Guest »

GHO wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:19 pm
2-Scoops wrote:

Isn't more research being done about how the better taste means the food is much better for you. A bit like terpenes in cannabis. Certain terps can relieve certain ailments.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
2-Scoops (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:08 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

GHO

Post by GHO »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:09 pm
GHO wrote:
2-Scoops wrote:

Isn't more research being done about how the better taste means the food is much better for you. A bit like terpenes in cannabis. Certain terps can relieve certain ailments.
I'm not sure about taste linking to health benefits but microbiology is supposed to influence terpene production and profiles. It's a funny debate this, there's very little in the way of verifiable truth and a lot of opinions carry a bias. If you've always grown with chemicals you'll not want to believe that organics could be in any way better and vise versa.
But I do think that if you really want to prove to yourself either way then you should be doing both methods side by side from identical cuttings. That way you can watch the way they both grow and have a taste when ready to harvest.
These users thanked the author GHO for the post (total 4):
Josh (Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:21 pm) • Ukbudz (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm) • MrNice (Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:56 pm) • 2-Scoops (Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:09 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

GHO wrote:
2-Scoops wrote:

Yes Dad used to grow nothing but organic toms in the greenhouse he was a champion at it and i do remember smell and taste of them still now 30 to 40 years later and for sure those were alot more tastey than shop bought in my mind. Mon & Dad used to sit at table eating smelling and "ooh`ing and rrring" at the taste chomping on them fresh pulled with nothing but a little salt, serious stars at it they both were, Mom was a champion at making chutneys too with them, i do take your point their, things that stick in your mind hey after years gone by. :thanks:
Trex wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:40 pm
GHO wrote:
2-Scoops wrote:

me it aint the fertilizer used that really bithers me , its the synthetic hormones , pedticides and herbicides that cause me great concern .
In all i just want to know what im eating n smoking !

My indoor lettuce grown in coco indoor vs my outdoirs organic garden vs indoor organic , ive made alot of folks taste it , alot cant tell the diff between my organic and my coco grown but i find my organic grown indoor has a slight more savoury taste , my outdoor is a lil more bitter( due to insane heat n humidity in summer ) . and the coco is right smack in the middle

Grapefruit Banner Pheno Finder Journal

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app
I`m pretty sure synthetic hormones were banned for use on fresh produce we eat, pretty in Europe, i`m not sure if GMO crops are made with use of synthetic hormones tbh, but i dont think they are and its more about fucked up genetics, i might be wrong though.

But yes i do know cus the ganji fert trade in Europe is unregulated unlike in the US where im led to believe comes under USDA ? You get a good few unscrupulous fert manufacturers making boosts and shit containing them and the sneaky toads never put their names to it, tis a real fuck around chasing them down, believe ive tried, but i dont or haven't heard of any manufacturers of mineral/chemical base ferts like A&B or any single or 3 part ferts adding hormones of any sort even the lets safer natural occurring hormones like triacontanol are only added in boosts, just minerals/chemicals in base ferts basically.

But yes tis starting to become a bigger problem ive noticed in past few years with more and more dodgy boosts plied towards weed growers that contain these nasty synthetic hormones appearing on shelves, tbh weed ferts/additives/boosts/etc etc needs regulating more over here in Europe like i think it is in US I kinda feel for these newer growers that are clueless and getting these boosts shoved down their throats by grow shops, oh its bad.

I seem to vaguely remember the big controversy and scandal over flower dragon boost years ago more so in Aussie land the makers of which i can`t remember now were tracked down and pretty sure got took to court cus of false claims it was safe and so on, but it did put all those makers who made this shit into retreat for a good few years cus they were fucked over good style in Aussie land when it came about, sadly they seem to reappearing more and more again now. :bang head:
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
bigbadbillybob (Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:04 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Return to “Cannabis science and research”