Bi-Energy "Prototyping Platform" to implement/augment Fig. 11/12 item of VaporGenie patent

How do you toke yours!?
Egzoset

Bi-Energy "Prototyping Platform" to implement/augment Fig. 11/12 item of VaporGenie patent

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations everybody,

As previously announced in my intro presentation:

[ https:// www.growroom420.com/vaporist-of-borg-4466 ]
GR420: Vaporist of Borg. (2019-Nov-23)

This present proposal is intended to illustrate semi-DiY enhancements of an existing product invented by Dan Steinberg and for which a patent was actually registered just a couple years after Y2K. It's his materials selection which captured my attention, though my own initial series of experimentations didn't address the Fig. 11/12 element until mid-2015 as i vaguely recall.

Anyway, before i describe my current configuration lets consider our primary objective:

M'well, through a microscope as this happens to be where the real fun resides:

Trichomes! That's a most precious gift of dame Nature as each of these shiny spheres conveniently collect noble substances away from vegetal tissue on a molecular basis - which proves being synonymous to high quality filtration performed at the most efficient cost imaginable - and there's more!...

Looking at the whole collection of features size/mass emerge as a hint about how to perform discriminative extraction, by virtue of simple physics:

It appears to suggest a consumption method based on "Pulse Heating" where an early bake-less "Release" phase 1st targets tiny objects based on their contact-surfaces. Lucky me my customized pipe could be fine-tuned enough to provide a useful approximation sufficiently convincing to validate such strategy, hence no absolute phase separation is required considering a bowl is "done" after 5 ~ 6 tokes in any case. On another hand my "Micro-Bursting" scenario depends on "bio" that wasn't industrially processed as this defeats its operating principles:

TUMBLED WEED!! :angry:

So here's how to proceed in order to access such pulse-mode extraction as promised, in order of priority:

Modification of the "Monobloc" allows implementation of some On-Top Core-PinHole features, possibly with provisions for handle-side manual control. For example:

Then reconfigure this top's internal layout around an hybrid Core as this makes possible to reduce distance to the bowl. These next few snapshots should help envision restricted injection of fresh-air directly above its "workload" to cause a radical translation of dynamics, hence resulting in much easier/less critical operation:

As for manual control its not essential although quite pleasant to have:

And finally i'd favour eye-contact on a flame's tip as well:

Now here's some approximative schematic to conclude on the basic "PinHole" and "Hybrid Core" aspects:

It's a temporary thermal bottle acting similarily to a slingshot where the rate of energy build-up is partly separate from its release which is practically instantaneous as a result of dimensions, effectively realizing a Pulse Heating conversion of the venerable VaporGenie pipe.

:clap:

Good day, have fun!! Image
Vaporist of Borg.

Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Bi-Energy "Prototyping Platform" to implement/augment Fig. 11/12 item of VaporGenie patent

Post by Nanook »

It's funny you say pulse heating, I used to do this ( or sorts ) with a lighter so the smoke didnt get so hot and the weed didnt combust like usual flame/pipes make it.
Sort of hovering above with a sideward motion ( like spray painting a car )
Regarding the hole as well, I have also used a similar " bodge " of just basically unscrewing parts so air was able to travel through as well as smoke - again making a far smoother imo draw :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Egzoset

Re: Bi-Energy "Prototyping Platform" to implement/augment Fig. 11/12 item of VaporGenie patent

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations Nanook,
Nanook wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:19 pm
It's funny you say pulse heating, I used to do this ( or sorts ) with a lighter so the smoke didnt get so hot and the weed didnt combust like usual flame/pipes make it.
Hard to tell how the approximation from "Plan-B" clean-burning butane compares, Steinberg's choice of material was literally based in the space age:

What we have here is 2 intimately coupled networks: one made of solid SiC branches while the other is the air pockets trapped in between. Even if compared to metal, each solid SiC branch has such excellent thermal properties this sort of matrix results in a massive thermal interconnection of cavities where iddle state (with zero airflow) corresponds to relative insulation and transitional convection mode releases a "Heat Charge" almost instantly, followed by a purge cycle nearly as quick. The objective being to localize bursting energy near the contact-surface knowing it shall get depleted before significant dispersion has time to inflict coocking damage... So in essence we're talking about a no-parts thermal valve ideally alternating between the IH-driven iddle insulator (digital style) or clean-burning butane Pre-Heating (analog) state and "Release/Transport" state. And there's reward in it which don't belong to slow/steady schemes IMO:

« Rapid pre-heating prevents from secondary reaction and decomposition. »

This sort of protection only lasts ~1 second on the sample graph, but it still submerges the bowl with enough energy to release a vast range of molecules which actually move away from such intense heat the instant it made them airborne, with the convective airflow carrying this precious load towards and expansion cavity where residual heat is removed, then particles get trapped in a tiny cotton filter. All of this now possible because of a contrasting juxtaposition of materials as SiC Foam and Stainless Steel metal.

In practice "Plan-B" involves a non-zero amount of pre-heating energy to also reach the bowl, consequently the more dense and brief a pulse the better, otherwise baking can be expected to scramble the experience and that's why i refer to approximation.

A somewhat more familiar model would be about "heat-shaving" the legs of a large spider without killing her...

If it's kept sufficiently brief and intense by moving the flame then it's possible to obtain a glowing layer right above the spider's exo-skeleton, where hairs are so tiny they turn incandescent 1st. The goal of this cruel game being to have a Heat Charge depleted before it cooks the spider's organs too.
Nanook wrote:
...like spray painting a car...
Or heat-shaving a spider?

Honestly i still don't think proper perspective doing justice to this transitional process can be acquired without actually living the experience, hence a need to build such "Prototyping Platform", to duplicate and peer review. Even the slingshot/catapult analogies feel wrong because those involve an energy buildup followed by acceleration to fight inertia, while the SiC Foam is already loaded with a heat charge once pre-heated, via "Plan-B" or otherwise. In both modes what counts is how hot the Fig. 11/12 item will get, that's why i'm so optimistic about the chances to transpose it directly to an IH-driven scenario.

This is opposed to popular thermostatic products where cooking extracts everything in a bowl, not just tiny trichome glands. So it's likely not only about taming down temperature by mixing some fresh air in, i believe there's an edge from the temporary thermal valve effect as the reduction of baking reflects as blond vegetal debris once a bowl is done. In comparison my HerbalAire produced dark ABV and i recall ~300 mg bowls were required simply to enjoy some aroma/taste perceptions, while this reconfiguration offers an improved trade-off IMO. Imagine a digital-like consumption model based on zero-airflow inductive pre-heat...

Yet i understand there can be similitudes besides their degree.
Nanook wrote:
...far smoother...
Inlet water (and carbonic gas) from extra-hot exaust gases contribute to self-moisturization combined to "Potentialization", since hot dry air defines unity specific heat and steam doubles it. The later feature boosts efficiency in bursting mode i figure, then here's more benefits to consider:

2-stage pulse heating should perform realistic separation of the "Release/Transport" and "Activation/Atomizing" phases as in the Sublimator of Enrico Bouchard, possibly with auto-reclaims/self-cleaning after swapping capsule sides around...

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

I've read that thread maybe 3 or 4 times and honestly I still have no idea what it is about. So daft I am :sad:
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post:
GHO (Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:52 pm)

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations Bulls,
Bulls wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:51 am
I've read that thread maybe 3 or 4 times...
It would have been a better idea to focuss on its title 1st, repeating the process as necessary, in multiple loops until sufficient sense eventually emerges:

« Bi-Energy "Prototyping Platform" to implement/augment Fig. 11/12 item of VaporGenie patent »

Yet sometimes even that sort of elementary precaution might fail, so in this case lets just accept it was only addressed to readers already prepared (& willing...) TO LEARN through EXPERIMENTATION using the VaporGenie as suggested. Then someday we should be able to hope for PEER REVIEWS from individuals who actually cared to acquire proper perspectives so they could enjoy having some potential dialog too, if desired - possibly even share benefits and i'm not refering to mercantile activity here.

Anyway every minute whole populations use advanced technology without being fully aware of what's behind and this ain't no tragedy, welcome to the crowd.

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Hey Egzoset,

I'm going to be frank, what a fucking cool piece of kit! I've only skimmed this thread as I'm a little snowed under with life, work and Christmas atm.

From what I can make out, this little contraption stores heat energy and delivers heat to the material in controlled bursts to vaporise the trichomes but not combust the vegative material?

I want to make it clear that I've only skimmed all this info and I don't mean to undermine your effort to explain this device in great detail, but wanted to summarise things to get my head around things.

I also wanted to just pop by and let you know I appreciate the effort you've gone to explain this. If I can get 30 minutes to myself this evening, I will come back and probably have a few questions of you don't mind?
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Salutations GrumpyGrower,
grumpygrower wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:02 pm
...cool piece of kit!
It's the best i could offer in hope it leaves a durable impression, so i'm quite pleased if that inspires an envy to revisit! :thanks:
grumpygrower wrote:
...this little contraption stores heat energy and delivers heat to the material in controlled bursts to vaporise the trichomes but not combust the vegative material?
Exactly. It's been difficult for me to find proper wording but i think this David vs Goliath sling analogy should help clear the matter somewhat further:

Phase #1 represent energy injection into the metal core which can lead to digital-type precision using a Curie-temperature ceiling combined to mass. For a 125 mg bowl i roughly evaluated the Heat Charge probably ranges around a hundred Joules per toke, mabye twice or maybe half but yet i wouldn't expect a tenfold error, for example.

The temporary nature of such energy storage is no significant problem compared to what it would imply in slow/steady thermostatic scenarios à la Volcano/Arizer, hence simplyfing materials selection a great deal since the burst gets dissipated long before it can cause skin burns, etc. In essence the ideal operating range occurs within a transitional state between zero airflow energizing and a final inhalation phase where baking/cooking is minimized as a consequence of the brutal changes preceeding and following a burst.

Unfortunately my past analogies as that of a catapult now prove confusing as it implied a need for acceleration, while in this present case some intended final velocity is already acquired before such energy charge even starts moving into a bowl to be flooded with it, just at the right level to target contact-surfaces and nothing any deeper...
grumpygrower wrote:
...I don't mean to undermine your effort to explain this device in great detail...
If only i could put it in people's hand then very few words would even feel necessary, so i'll admit it can be frustrating not being able to share the pleasure, but at least i'm now having another chance to try! It's too rare an event not to appreciate the care you've demonstrated at each step of our emerging dialog.

:oik!:
grumpygrower wrote:
...I will come back and probably have a few questions if you don't mind?
It's a sign of genuine curiosity that i can't resist, please feel free to return when ready! In all honesty i've been waiting for this relentlessly, hence if i can add clarity then rest assured i'll stick around for more.

Good day, have fun!!

Egzoset

Post by Egzoset »

Just in case an eventual reader might feel attracted into "4-20" DiY projects.

M'well, maybe next year! Which will leave a whole year to think it over...

Meanwhile, how about a brief interlude?

[ https:// www . youtube . com/watch?v=5LgXs9D8p4E ]
Making the Spherical Flavor Disc wand for the best desktop vaporizer (2023-Apr-12)

While i think of it, the original manufacturer for SiC Foam in VG pipes started offering sampler "kits", currently selling for 72 $ US:

[ https:// www . duocelfoam . com/product-p/1023-603.htm ]​
Duocel Ceramic (SiC) Sample Kit​

Live long & prosper!!

Return to “Toking Paraphernalia”