Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

UVA and UVB light setup any one ...?

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
MrNice
Respected Member

UVA and UVB light setup any one ...?

Post by MrNice »

Any one using a UV setups in there rooms to increase THC levels etc

i think you can increase by 3 to 5 percent in THC strength the plant produces more resin to protect its self from high UVA and UVB rays all indica plants come from the moutains where the idea came from

I dont have the cash to buy more kit at the moment to try this out not sure if it works with sativas tho as they maily come from round the equator zone of the world

any one got or tryed .....?
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 3):
Bulls (Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:44 pm) • 2-Scoops (Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:50 pm) • GHO (Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:29 am)

MrNice
Respected Member

Re: UVA and UVB light setup any one ...?

Post by MrNice »

Copyed from a Web page

UVB UVA Lighting Study Results Increases Medical Marijuana Potency 3-5%

I just completed 2 full years of testing on over 10 different strains and have reached the conclusion that the UVA UVB light spectrum will add 3-5% THC and .0-.5% bcd over all strains tested.

I have done 6 complete grows from veg through bloom each one tested with the lighting and without the lighting alternating each crop. One on and one off. Each time the crop with the lights on would jump 3-5% with the lights off it would decrease 3-5%. I have assumed an error margin of 2%
My test results seem to be right in line with what other people have experienced over the years. I could not find any recent data online so I Decided to do my own research and testing.
Some strains tested are as follows when under Lizard Lights.

Chem dawg 27%

OG-18 25%

Holy grail Kush 28%

Critical + 23%

Tohoe OG 24%

Grape Ape 23%

White Fire OG 25%

Dead Head Og 24%

Chem Valley kush- shit pheno 15%

The difference in potency is so obvious that all my patients would complain about the lack of potency on the crops that I did not use the UVA UVB lighting!

UVA UVB Light Exposure

I have found it is best to expose them to it from time they are rooted. This will give them time to acclimate to the lighting. It does not make any difference to the potency if you use the lights in bloom only. The only difference is if you do it in bloom only you will get leaf curl but it does not seem to stress the plant or hurt it in any way. I would start them off slowly and build up to the full 12hrs in bloom if you are not going to veg them under the UVA UVB lighting.

I started off my strains in low doses on a timer in 2 hr increments on and off and slowly each day increased them as I was scared to kill them initially due to some research I had done on this topic in online forums.
I soon found that it did not matter at all. You can hit them with the lighting 24hrs in veg and 12 hrs in bloom with no adverse effects except a little leaf curl at the ends if they had not been previously acclimated to it at the beginning of life stages (rooted). This is why I would recommend exposure as soon as possible.
I purchased the new 4 ft Zoo MedReptiSun 10.0 UVB/UVA Bulbs
These bulbs were chosen because they reach the deepest and furthest away.
With these 10.0 bulbs penetration is 18-24 inches from the light.
he older 8.0 or 9.0 bulbs were 12 inches or less which did not give much room for plant location in my 8x15 room.

UVA UVB Light Test Results

I had every batch of plants tested by Cannalytics for accuracy. I have also found that where you take your sample on the plant also plays a role in test results. The THC % plants can vary anywhere from 3-6% difference based on where sample was taken top, side or bottom of plant.
I am no scientist so I can't say 100% that it does not alter the plants genetics but based on my knowledge of genetics and my own research I do not believe the genetics have been altered at all. What has happened is just a natural stress response by the plant to protect itself from the ultraviolet rays.
To prove this even more is the fact that each strain dropped back 3-5% when it was not under the UVA/UVB lights. Even when I had them under the UVA/UVB lights in veg but not under the lights in bloom they did not increase in potency enough that I could measure a change.
I was able to get the double 4ft fluorescent light fixtures for $50 each that had a 15ft electrical chord plug attached. I found the ReptiSun 10.0 4ft bulbs for $18.95 each plus a few bucks shipping. I will find who it was and post it when I do. My total cost for 6 fixtures and 6 bulbs was around $400.
I have used them for 2 years on and off so pay off has been good. In my opinion it is well worth it to run the UVB UVA bulbs. It will set your product apart from every one elses in your area. Think about it to be a beginning grower and have strains testing out at 27-28% and seeds were gathered from online seed banks is pretty darn good!
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Guest (Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:30 am)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

whats do peeps think about this

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

I see invis is doing lights incoorperating this ( gmo has one I believe ) but I havent tried it.
Ive ran omega dual spec 1000w DE lamps and at the right angle you can see the blue, meant to have UV and I must admit they were very frosty. I also found plasma gavitas were good - sure they said uva/b as well :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Very nice nanook you got it sorted
I want to buy two of these Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 18W 24" lamps and buy 2 slim line T8 fittings then attach them to the tent poles in the corners

https://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-med-r ... 008248.htm

i think im trying to run before i can walk tho on this canna stuff wen i have some free cash i might invest in some was hoping to win another light of invisible sun to further my intrest etc but after seeing what you have done with a ISH 150 im blown out the water game over
But hey good on you Respect for you have done
2-Scoops (Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:55 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Lol I have had many, MANY lights... probably over 20 types because I love the hobby. The plasma is meant to be suplementry lighting as well, I ran it with a 60w invis panel iirc.
Those ones you list I havent tried but I will warn you, check they are ok for your eyes. I had to wear special glasses with some of mine in the past.
A lot of the success is the right seeds imho - good genetics. I tend to grow older strains as I find them normally more stable genetically.
It's all good fun but it can get to be an expensive hobby! ( factor in the money saved buying weed tho and it still works out cheaper )

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Yeah i know about your eyes and these lights even LEDs can be bad ive got some oakleys sun glasses and some ski googles that be ok to use for may eyes
Well i wastnt going to run the uV lights all day just halfway through the light cycle try mimic the sun may be 3 to 4 hrs a day normally the suns hottest part of the day is between 12.00 and 3.00pm
We all trying to mimic the outside but inside if you get what i mean
Nanook (Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:13 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Also I think its only good try for more indica type plants
Nanook (Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:14 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Not sure re plant type tbh, tho in my opinion they are all hybrids now :)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”