Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Low runoff ppm in coco

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: Low runoff ppm in coco

Post by Josh »

jimmi2scoops wrote:Nowt up with those plants, they shine like real beauties mate top stuff. Ive grown 20 years and just sling whatever im using at the time and pick up first at hand and i always have done, straight into my tank of water, ive never had any detrimental effects in doing so. Dont sweat adding a bit of base ferts if you want its not gonna cause a problem, possibly lower ph slightly but if your just raising it 0.1 - 02 i would think its not gonna effect it too much worth pissing around with again. Oh I tell a lie the Aussie guy i learnt how to grow in coco from told me right way to do your ferts is add base ferts first and additives afterwards, i think i may have done that for a bit till i got lazy`ier. AnB should have more than enough of everything in for the plants needs, so instead of trying to fix things with this, that and t`other it`s usually a simple fix is a case of just upping base ferts a bit.

What was the coco you used and where from and also how much was it ? and at what EC did you soak it in with cal/mag ? I`m all about cheap Josh yet for some reason i always tend to still buy canna pro + :roll eyes:
This is the coco I used, got it for free from the place I buy my worms online but it works great soI bought a huge brick. I think 18 gallons worth is only 20 us dollars, super cheap

If I remember correctly I followed the doc coco web site and buffered at 1200 ppm or 2.0 EC cal-mag water twice. 8 hours, changed out the water and another 8 hours

Didn't bother to ph it though, not sure if that matters

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

That`s sound im pretty sure i can get those cheap bricks too over herer in UK. So josh when prepping in Cal/mag solution @ 2.0ec obviously it didnt cause young plants problems, kinda like lets say i pre-soaked the coco in 2.0 ec AnB that would kill and burn young seedlings ?

I`m a right donk at times sorry i just read back your question, i was well whacked yesterday going off on one into big long rants :roll eyes: . On adding cal/mag to raise EC why would you want too looking at those plants i get you in sense cus you don`t want defs a few weeks into bloom, but they look great, just up AnB when you flip you could always add a wee bit extra cal/mag then if your worried but i can`t see their being a problem if you just up ferts a bit mate at time of flipping for 3 or 4 weeks. A good ec for that time you flip is say 1.4ec of just AnB or 1.2 of AnB and an extra 0.2 of cal/mag to total of 1.4 ec if your a bit worried about calcium defs but my personal opinion is why use calmag if plants aren`t suffering with summink that calls for its use. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Wrh (Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:38 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

jimmi2scoops wrote:That`s sound im pretty sure i can get those cheap bricks too over herer in UK. So josh when prepping in Cal/mag solution @ 2.0ec obviously it didnt cause young plants problems, kinda like lets say i pre-soaked the coco in 2.0 ec AnB that would kill and burn young seedlings ?

I`m a right donk at times sorry i just read back your question, i was well whacked yesterday going off on one into big long rants :roll eyes: . On adding cal/mag to raise EC why would you want too looking at those plants i get you in sense cus you don`t want defs a few weeks into bloom, but they look great, just up AnB when you flip you could always add a wee bit extra cal/mag then if your worried but i can`t see their being a problem if you just up ferts a bit mate at time of flipping for 3 or 4 weeks. A good ec for that time you flip is say 1.4ec of just AnB or 1.2 of AnB and an extra 0.2 of cal/mag to total of 1.4 ec if your a bit worried about calcium defs but my personal opinion is why use calmag if plants aren`t suffering with summink that calls for its use. 8-)
Ah ok, that makes sense

I guess I'm just trying to have a perfect grow so I can compare the results to my soil plants. But so far the coco has pretty much convinced me

I did 2 clones of the franco in coco and 2 in soil, the coco ones are literally triple the size

These users thanked the author Josh for the post:

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

With plants looking like that no need for cal/mag. I Dumped the cal/mag years ago,really found with canna nutes and and my background water i had no need for it. I have found in coco its more about getting the ratio rights or EC . As im only a hobby grower is hard for me to explain as im not well educated. When using high levels of K it def affects the uptake of calcium in coco imo, straight away ppl think of a pk additive that i am talking about this is not always the case silicon also has a level K.
basically all you need with coco is base nutes and a bit of extra pk in flower and your grow decent bud time after time.
Of course Environment is key to success before nutrients .
These users thanked the author kbag for the post:

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

kbag wrote:With plants looking like that no need for cal/mag. I Dumped the cal/mag years ago,really found with canna nutes and and my background water i had no need for it. I have found in coco its more about getting the ratio rights or EC . As im only a hobby grower is hard for me to explain as im not well educated. When using high levels of K it def affects the uptake of calcium in coco imo, straight away ppl think of a pk additive that i am talking about this is not always the case silicon also has a level K.
basically all you need with coco is base nutes and a bit of extra pk in flower and your grow decent bud time after time.
Of course Environment is key to success before nutrients .
Thanks kbag

I've been using cal-mag from the start though
I was thinking that the gh micro had enough in it to suffice, I've heard some other growers mention that as well. Just wanted to be on the safe side

After this bottle is gone though I'll drop the cal-mag and give it a shot thanks again

Wrh (Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Ok so we're at day 9 since pistils showed and I'm starting to get some tip burn even though my runoff ec is lower than what's going in (I believe it was caused by my lights being too close and excess transpiration)

Lower leaves are not yellowing at all and look fine, so I know it's not nitrogen deficiency

But the bigger issue is that my runoff ph is now at 5.4

Here's the rundown for you guys

Ec going in- 1.1
Ec coming out- 0.8

Ph going in- 6.2 to 5.7 (drops throughout the week)
Ph coming out- 5.4

I believe my rez ph was dropping due to the co2 supplementation (acid rain effect) so I've moved my air pump outside the room

My question to you guys is, what should I set the feed ph at to try and bring it up? 6.2 maybe?
I'm not experienced enough with coco to know if this will work

Thanks in advance ImageImage

Wrh (Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:39 pm)

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

Ok so did some more research and everything I found says to ignore runoff ph in coco. Lol

False alarm I guess.
But the tip burn is pissing me off when my ec is coming out much lower than going in, makes no sense to me at all

RichardP.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RichardP. »

Are you using the wrong nutrients? This can also happen.

KD
Known User

Post by KD »

Maybe not for this grow, but look into the Lucas formula for Coco. GHE actually took this and created their Flora Duo line and I know from experience in Hydro, it worked awesome!

I'm learning about Coco growing so this thread has helped a lot. I think I'm going to take Jim's approach with a+b as I've known him a long time online and never seen him do a bad grow. Maybe food for thought for the future.

Plants look banging imo though. Best of luck

RichardP.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RichardP. »

I agree, your plants look amazing. I don't even know why you are looking for a problem in this, especially since you are experienced.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”