Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Cal/mag Is it really needed?

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
kbag
GR420 Leg End

Cal/mag Is it really needed?

Post by kbag »

I was speaking to wiz in chat and the subject of cal/mag came up. So i thought i would ask other grower's their thoughts on it and if it is really needed.
For me personally as my water is classed as hard i have no need for it or shouldn't. When i was cleaning out my groom i found a bottle that was over 3 years old and unopened so got me thinking i just wasted money on that. I see on a lot forums people get a deficiency and cal/mag is thrown into equation way to often. It seems to be the quick fix solution when in reality the root cause is not being addressed.
I would love to hear your views on this subject, so please post your thoughts for others to see and learn from.

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Re: Cal/mag Is it really needed?

Post by Josh »

I think most of the time people prbly have issues with ph/lockout and they mistake this for a defieciency, when in reality the plants can't even take it in because of issues in the rootzone
I've been using cal mag this run but only because I switched to RO water. 0ppm

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Too many jump on the calmag train in my opinion

I also live in a semi hard water area tho, I find that at most a small addition of amino acid helps the calmag be available rather than pounding extra in

However, majority of what I thought was calmag in my earlier growing was usually just over watering tbh

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Personally I think it is needed maybe once to twice a grow. You can grow without it, but it seems to improve the veg at least using it.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

The Irishman
Known User

Post by The Irishman »

I have soft water where I come from the ec is 0.0/0.1 and my last grow of pink kush I noticed after the first feed the leaves started to get the red rusty spots. So I added calmag to the feed and bang problem was gone. I then would do a week or 2 using silicon in my feed and cut out the calmag. Almost immediately the red spots would start to appear again. So for the remainder of my last grow I included calmag every feed up until the mid flower flush. And with the calmag in the feed the plants were a picture of health no red spots. So with my limited knowledge and experience I think it is needed with if you have soft water

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Was tidying the garage a bit... Unopened parcel!!! What could this be????
Ohh... Calmag pro 1litre hahaha saves me buying one next grow!

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

For me prevention is key in my mind set with cal-mag. I like a foliar feed of Cal Mag or a product to help uptake of this 2 weeks before flip and 2 weeks after flip. Loading up so to speak for when the plants will need more energy than at any other point.

I also agree that cal mag is run to as a get out of jail card when people post issues, when its not actually the issue at all, in fact it can make things worse.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Never used it in 15+years of growing my AnB has everything in that plant needs so long as my ph is right plants are happy. I`m in softwater area :)

Tbh times when i really think peeps have had Calcium deficiency issues are generally those in hard water areas cus most if not all of calcium carbonate in your hard water is too big for plants to use and take up through roots so it can`t be used hence why they use cal phosphates which i think and am pretty sure that are used in cal/mag.

Imho in reality its a bit of snake oil for Brits with hard water that do suffer cal/mag issues, they should really be buying AnB for soft water areas, basically that`s the only difference is the soft water ferts have added cal/mag, so it saves you £`s in that respect if you guys are using AnB .

Fulvic acid is a great additive in general but also for those hard water growers for the simple reason it chelates/binds with the the calcium as well as with other elements in your ferts and it kinda tricks roots into letting it through, basically it gets different elements of your ferts to where they are needed faster and sneaky like, it also increases oxygen uptake into the plant.

Obviously if it happens in soft water areas you AnB types, theirs probably some sort of underlying problem, generally ph being off or big swings then it maybe called for at times.

That`s my take on it anyhow :) .
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

jimmi2scoops wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm
Tbh times when i really think peeps have had calcium deficiency issues are generally those in hard water areas cus most if not all of calcium carbonate in your hardwater is too big for plants to use and take up through roots so it can`t be used hence why they use cal phosphates which i think and am pretty sure that are used in cal/mag.
I have heard that also. You've saved me typing that out.

If I prepare my soil in advance with dolomite lime, then I am generally okay. But if I forget or don't have time, then I use cal-mag when needed.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Josh
GR420 Leg End

Post by Josh »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
jimmi2scoops wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:20 pm
Tbh times when i really think peeps have had calcium deficiency issues are generally those in hard water areas cus most if not all of calcium carbonate in your hardwater is too big for plants to use and take up through roots so it can`t be used hence why they use cal phosphates which i think and am pretty sure that are used in cal/mag.
I have heard that also. You've saved me typing that out.

If I prepare my soil in advance with dolomite lime, then I am generally okay. But if I forget or don't have time, then I use cal-mag when needed.
Lime is honestly a shit thing to add to soils, there's much better options that won't jack up your ph aspie. Oyster shells or something along those lines would work for calcium

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Return to “Cannabis Growing”