Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

CMH / HPS / LED a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶... DISCUSSION.

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
MrHash
New Years Grow Off Winner

Re: CMH / HPS / LED a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶... DISCUSSION.

Post by MrHash »

Morty420 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:50 pm
I got my self a top end led. Hlg scorpion rspec. With this light iv grown the strongest, tastiest most frosty most dense bud iv ever grown. The future is definitely leds.

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk
Nice.
These users thanked the author MrHash for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:17 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Momma bear wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:25 pm
I love my hps love love but it’s so deans hot right now I just can’t use it 🥲 the ladies love it during veg
Would you say you grow plants that you feel are better under the HPS Mommy Bear???
Keeno wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:20 am
I think lights work with styles as well. My early led grows were not up to my hps grows, but I was growing how I would under hps. I tailored my grow style to suit led and never looked back. All that being said you are under cdm, that's a big step up from hps and not a light many have played with. I know someone else who won't use anything other than cdm. If that's your preferred light, stock up on a couple ballast and a few bulbs. That's got you covered for a few years at least.
Are you on about Bulls? Where is he BTW? Has he gone back to the motherland and is taking pics of that fairytale place he lives? The lucky bugger!!!

But yes, I agree. Alas at £100 a bulb I can't really stock up on them being unemployable, I;m too handsome see, my good looks are a constant distraction in the workplace for men and women alike.
MrHash wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:33 am
I hear what you're saying @Keeno ...but is there any way.... I could convince you of the exact opposite???

😆😆😆😆😆

I can't help myself.

LEDs are the now. The future is yet to be seen. That being said, there are limits to efficiency and efficacy.

We gonna be growing under artificial suns soon?😬😆
Ooh, now a mini hydrogen reactor in a light bulb sounds good... A lot like a CMH bulb.

:running-around:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 5):
Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:17 am) • Treetrunk (Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:10 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am) • MrHash (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:08 pm) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:24 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

MrHash wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:33 am
I hear what you're saying @Keeno ...but is there any way.... I could convince you of the exact opposite???

😆😆😆😆😆

I can't help myself.

LEDs are the now. The future is yet to be seen. That being said, there are limits to efficiency and efficacy.

We gonna be growing under artificial suns soon?😬😆
I'm with you on LED being the future 100%. Some growers just can't seem to get on with them. I'll never go back to LED except early veg where I do like my old MH.

Im lucky my god level grow skills have evolved past lighting tbh, these days I grow in the dark. It's why I don't post pictures, can't see the plants till they are finished. I tried use a flash on my camera the other week to get a picture of the unnaturally large and beautiful plants my godly abilities produce... The extra supplemental flash from the camera led light caused a surge in flower production that snapped every stem. I can't even smile in the groom these days, the whiteness of my teeth does similar. It's not all it's cracked up to be being this fucking amazing at growing.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 7):
Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:46 am) • Treetrunk (Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:11 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am) • HGOG (Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:12 pm) • MrHash (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:08 pm) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:26 pm) • Wrh (Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:49 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:49 am
Keeno wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:20 am
I think lights work with styles as well. My early led grows were not up to my hps grows, but I was growing how I would under hps. I tailored my grow style to suit led and never looked back. All that being said you are under cdm, that's a big step up from hps and not a light many have played with. I know someone else who won't use anything other than cdm. If that's your preferred light, stock up on a couple ballast and a few bulbs. That's got you covered for a few years at least.
Are you on about Bulls? Where is he BTW? Has he gone back to the motherland and is taking pics of that fairytale place he lives? The lucky bugger!!!

But yes, I agree. Alas at £100 a bulb I can't really stock up on them being unemployable, I;m too handsome see, my good looks are a constant distraction in the workplace for men and women alike.
I liquidised him. All the steroids he consumed have worked lovely as some good old PGRs on my plant. And before anyone starts, it's organic PGRs as I fermented him before the liquidisation.

As for being handsome, only fans mate. I've got a wishlist on mine where my fans (@anova.330) get to buy me gifts I list, grow gear, high heels, takeaway vouchers and the like.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 5):
Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:46 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:40 am) • anova.330 (Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:59 pm) • MrHash (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:09 pm) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:26 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

See, LEDs make you delusional about your growing AND good looks.

They must use a special glue on the boards that gives off mind bending smells.

I've been banned from only fans @Keeno the servers couldn't handle the requests for my account.
Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:22 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am) • MrHash (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:09 pm) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:26 pm) • Wrh (Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:50 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

I started with LEDs and learnt how to use them first. tried HPS which was also great but i didnt see much gains besides the extra heat and red light over the currently full white LED on the market at the time

i then played with the different Kelvins of LEDs finding 3500k seemed the best all round for full cycle which led me to the CMH/CDM side which i probably only had maybe 3 runs before i noticed something was up and the bulb soon failed shortly into the 4th cycle but i did personally find that the more blue hues i was getting from the CMH lent its self better in my style of growing to be a very good light for late veg and into stretch but didnt provide (in my opinion) enough red to finish plants as efficiently as possible with LEDs.

So then the market shifted again leading to LED boards with far red and deep red being added to the mix providing the efficacy in making photons that i felt (and kbag often said was) was slightly lacking from the full white boards previously available. Now you have the option to run these over powered LED lamps like a HID light being run high above plants and high power or save some pennies and run lower to the plants with a less tall canopy and closer to the plants (inverse square law applies)

Im and LED fanboi 100% but i do think i have given the other options a decent run in :idn: thats my 2 cents
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 5):
Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:58 am) • GreenFingerz_ (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:20 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:27 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

GMO wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:48 am
I started with LEDs and learnt how to use them first. tried HPS which was also great but i didnt see much gains besides the extra heat and red light over the currently full white LED on the market at the time

i then played with the different Kelvins of LEDs finding 3500k seemed the best all round for full cycle which led me to the CMH/CDM side which i probably only had maybe 3 runs before i noticed something was up and the bulb soon failed shortly into the 4th cycle but i did personally find that the more blue hues i was getting from the CMH lent its self better in my style of growing to be a very good light for late veg and into stretch but didnt provide (in my opinion) enough red to finish plants as efficiently as possible with LEDs.

So then the market shifted again leading to LED boards with far red and deep red being added to the mix providing the efficacy in making photons that i felt (and kbag often said was) was slightly lacking from the full white boards previously available. Now you have the option to run these over powered LED lamps like a HID light being run high above plants and high power or save some pennies and run lower to the plants with a less tall canopy and closer to the plants (inverse square law applies)

Im and LED fanboi 100% but i do think i have given the other options a decent run in :idn: thats my 2 cents
You mention blues from CMH... Did you have the daylight bulb or the agro bulb?
Now I find LEDs to be too blue for me, always loads of leaf being produced through flower and being a lazy bugger at chop time, I like the agro CMH bulbs (that are more red than the daylight) as I find it cuts down on leaf matter produced in them flowering days.

My (LIMITED) understanding of LEDs is that they are naturally blue light and they add a phosphor coating to them to make different colours, but that coating doesn't stop all the blue...???

HAppy to be corrected about anything I post BTW as I may have the sciency stuff oopside mi head and a bit topsy turvy.

:fight: :running-around:
GMO (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:21 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am) • MrHash (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:15 pm) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:34 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:04 am
GMO wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:48 am

You mention blues from CMH... Did you have the daylight bulb or the agro bulb?
Now I find LEDs to be too blue for me, always loads of leaf being produced through flower and being a lazy bugger at chop time, I like the agro CMH bulbs (that are more red than the daylight) as I find it cuts down on leaf matter produced in them flowering days.

My (LIMITED) understanding of LEDs is that they are naturally blue light and they add a phosphor coating to them to make different colours, but that coating doesn't stop all the blue...???

HAppy to be corrected about anything I post BTW as I may have the sciency stuff oopside mi head and a bit topsy turvy.

:fight: :running-around:
Yeah something about being blue and then coating makes the colour. i think its similar to HID that heat a compound to particular temp to get a colour temp but im not really too up on that side of manufacturing stuff. but you wouldnt want to stop all the blue as its a useful part of the spectrum, its just shifting where the peaks of highest output are. like weirdly our sun has the highest colour peak in the green range but the brightness of all the spectrum is so high that it appears as white light

i honestly dont know what bulb i had. but it does sound like i may have had the wrong one for flowering with

only anecdotal but with led in the 3500k range or "redder" my phone camera colour balance sees as very close to the same orange as HPS till you make some shade over the lens :idn:
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 4):
Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:30 am) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:41 am) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:36 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)

Dex
Known User

Post by Dex »

Interesting read amigos I personally cannot comment but I have fucked less plants with LED, I'm not too sure on the QB led its kinda still new to me ... but I deffo love the cobs they made things nice.

For my style of growing / killing I'd say LED made a difference in the groom , Better humidity for the grows, Less worrying temps, more frost and finally plants seem to finish slightly faster than when I grew with hps.... could be because I stress em less with LED but I could have just started growing better when I switched to LED

Oh less leccy bill and less fans in groom I do use 2 extraction fans but that's a preference thing and a tiny 4inch blowing on ladies.

So it's LED for me... I never grew with cdm so I can't comment on how many I killed or made herm on that light.

I should have stayed silent and just read and liked posts probably as I'm last person to listen to imo but I do agree with more needy and greedy plants with LED and bad thing if it's light burn shit goes south within 12 to 24 hrs
These users thanked the author Dex for the post (total 4):
GMO (Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:58 am) • Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:01 am) • biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:08 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:46 pm
biosynthetic wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:31 pm
Yeh same I disagree with the first 2 points (LEDs grow better quality weed imo and they don't take any longer especially with IR can finish quicker even) But I agree :i agree: they are more needy ( :calmag: ) and they do need heat added in colder weather, and they are more prone to rot and can be more larfy. HPS tends to give denser bud but I still prefer LED, never used CMH tho :barmy:
I have retracted that 1st statement your honour! :judge: (that emoji don;t work but you get my meaning!) :lol:

But I do think the high is a slight thumbsdown for me, could be the strains I have run under LEDs though.
I also thinks the high from seeded weed beats unseeded.
The high I am after is probably a million miles from anyone else and same with theirs, so subjective or objective I can never remember the difference. Subjective I think.

CMH gives out that IR and UV all in one bulb, and you have radiant heat. It's like a sunny day on a hillside in that tent with the CMH running. The plants really respond better for me than HPS or LEDs.
Ah ok cool I didn't really know about the spectrum tbh and the high is subjective yeh, I think the terpene production is better with certain spectrums but it can also depend on strain. I'm happy with my LEDs but am planning to add UVB tubes soon to hopefully max out the terps and THC levels 8-)
These users thanked the author biosynthetic for the post (total 4):
GMO (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:09 pm) • Dex (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:20 pm) • Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:25 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”