Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

CMH / HPS / LED a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶... DISCUSSION.

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
MrHash
New Years Grow Off Winner

Re: CMH / HPS / LED a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶... DISCUSSION.

Post by MrHash »

Keeno wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:27 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:49 am
Keeno wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:20 am
I think lights work with styles as well. My early led grows were not up to my hps grows, but I was growing how I would under hps. I tailored my grow style to suit led and never looked back. All that being said you are under cdm, that's a big step up from hps and not a light many have played with. I know someone else who won't use anything other than cdm. If that's your preferred light, stock up on a couple ballast and a few bulbs. That's got you covered for a few years at least.
Are you on about Bulls? Where is he BTW? Has he gone back to the motherland and is taking pics of that fairytale place he lives? The lucky bugger!!!

But yes, I agree. Alas at £100 a bulb I can't really stock up on them being unemployable, I;m too handsome see, my good looks are a constant distraction in the workplace for men and women alike.
I liquidised him. All the steroids he consumed have worked lovely as some good old PGRs on my plant. And before anyone starts, it's organic PGRs as I fermented him before the liquidisation.

As for being handsome, only fans mate. I've got a wishlist on mine where my fans (@anova.330) get to buy me gifts I list, grow gear, high heels, takeaway vouchers and the like.
😆😆😆😆
These users thanked the author MrHash for the post (total 2):
biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:38 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:40 pm)

MrHash
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by MrHash »

@Keeno you're a good sport bro. 😆😆🙏I don't know how ya deal with knuckleheads like me all day haha.

I have a good number of friends that used CMH back in the day but never used em myself. I started with HPS for a couple years...Then the forum I was in at the time was hyping custom spectrum T5 high bay lights that were 96% +/- efficient I was a newby so I jumped in...I used actinic, and coral plus bulbs meant to grow aquarium plants, along with GE 4000k...That worked well, just underpowered.

I waited for LED tech to get better before investing in them.... So around 2017 did the LED two step... it was Mars Hydro (burn your fucking arm on the heat sink club), SpiderFarmer (also too much heat at the time), and eventually I was put on to HLG.

I saw the biggest jump in production quality when I switched to HLG 600r specs ( invisible sun uses very similar tech). I've been running them since 2018, and have had no complaints whatsoever... But I have to keep up with the new new... So I recently upgraded to the Scorpion Diablo X and can't believe the changes I'm seeing again. So crazy that lighting has come so far so fast. I say we enjoy it... Definitely not the 90s anymore. 😁
These users thanked the author MrHash for the post (total 4):
biosynthetic (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:38 pm) • Keeno (Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:39 pm) • Marcus (Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:23 pm) • Morty420 (Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:35 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

MrHash wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:37 pm
Definitely not the 90s anymore.
I still dress like it is! :running-around:

The space I have to light currently is 180cm wide by 50cm deep and 160cm high. With fan and stuff up the corner I have about 130cm of width for plants.

(I will be building a box in the garage eventually for my 1m x 1m tent, but that's a way off)

Now I;m looking at the new F-Bar from Invis... Does anyone have one they can measure for me?

Ta very much. :harvest:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:49 pm) • MrHash (Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:53 pm) • biosynthetic (Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:15 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:38 pm
MrHash wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:37 pm
Definitely not the 90s anymore.
I still dress like it is! :running-around:

The space I have to light currently is 180cm wide by 50cm deep and 160cm high. With fan and stuff up the corner I have about 130cm of width for plants.

(I will be building a box in the garage eventually for my 1m x 1m tent, but that's a way off)

Now I;m looking at the new F-Bar from Invis... Does anyone have one they can measure for me?

Ta very much. :harvest:
As soon as I read them measurements I though about the f bar. I'll measure mine shortly for you. Its my favourite fixture of the range from Invis.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm) • biosynthetic (Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:16 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

I've only done around 6 LED grows most with Cree cobs running around 500watts and now with Samsung lm301h chips. But it just doesn't come close to growing with a 600HPS red spec bulb in flower imo. But im gonna persevere with LED for a few or more grows and see how things pan out. Atmo im blaming a low yielding strain :roll eyes: , so im gonna wang in some big yielders that I've grown before next grow just to see difference as a comparison. But those 600HPS lights is where its still at for me, hopefully my opinions may change in future though, only time will tell. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm) • biosynthetic (Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:18 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Smg_grows
Has thanked: 0

Post by Smg_grows »

Hi dude,

I use both cmh and led.

I have to l love cmh light systems. Your right about the bulbs situation. So l have bought 10 bulbs so are. The bulbs normally last about years. So should last be 20 years 😂.

When you use the cmh you will. Notice the difference especially with the oil production and plant vigor.

There is something special about the cmh. Unfortunately they brought to fashion just before the led boom so no one really got to use them. You can purchase a cheap kit on ebay now and a few spare bulbs and your rocking.
These users thanked the author Smg_grows for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:41 pm) • biosynthetic (Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:20 pm)

Wrh
Known User

Post by Wrh »

I used cmh for about 18 months and it is easily my favourite grow light . But as gmo said before after about 18 months the light packed up it would be ok for a few days then over heat and switch off I couldn't trust it anymore and that's when I started to try leds if the cmh kits were cheaper I'd go back to them but 100 pound a bulb every 18 months is too dear in my opinion . I even went back to 400 hps a couple of times , I still haven't sussed led growing but I'm trying lol 😂 . Going back to something mr scoops said as well I've done a few 600 hps grows in the past and in my opinion it's unbeatable for bang for buck , everyone says about the heat but it's not a problem where I am a 6 inch rvk handles it easy . I'm sure leds are the future but there is definitely a place for hid lighting in my humble opinion .
These users thanked the author Wrh for the post (total 3):
biosynthetic (Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:20 pm) • Marcus (Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:04 pm) • 2-Scoops (Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:59 pm)

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

After growing big plants a few times with HPS I decided to finally give LEDs a go back in 2016 ish and at the time I had been reading about different lighting in High Times magazine, they were comparing HPS and outdoor buds to stuff grown under compact flourescent and I tried some weed grown under these, the yield was low but very frosty buds. At first I wanted to give flourescents a go but they were not efficient at all and CMH was too expensive so I started researching LEDs. Learned a lot about PAR and stuff but I didn't have a lot of money at the time so I started off small with a couple of blurple LEDs, a Meizhi and a Viparspectra. Changed style of growing to just small plants but more of them and the lights were pretty good especially in veg but yields were lower than HPS and a bit fluffy, which I expected at a lower wattage anyway but I found the plants were less stressed and the bud quality had actually improved! Not as dense but frostier and better range of smell/flavour imo. Eventually upgraded to some better LEDs, got some Optic cobs and my first lights that had the samsung chips, the Phantom/Phatslim 1. Still quite small lights but much more efficient and now I started to get very good GPW and quality was even better and consistent, as I was improving my new style of growing and enjoying it a lot more as well.
Once I was ready for another upgrade, the next generation of Optic LEDs was on sale but I couldn't get them in the UK without extortionate import fees after brexit, so I had to find another LED maker that I could get in the UK, plus LEDs were getting really popular and the tech was improving at a rate never seen before and that was when I discovered Invisible Sun. Seemed expensive so I had to check out some reviews etc, which led me to the GR420 podcast somehow and I found people there talking about the lights, I wasn't sure if I should get the 4R or the F-Bar but in the end chose the F-Bar which had a £45 dicount code (think I paid £290 for it).
Took me a couple grows to get used to it, I was surprised how big the plants got! After this I wanted only Invisible Sun lights so once the EVO chip arrived I got the ISH265 Evo Eclipse and now my setup is complete with the X-Bar added, I'm kinda back to growing bigger plants again. But now I'm only using 630w in a 4x8, how things have changed lol. Sorry for the long story I'm stoned :Stoned:
These users thanked the author biosynthetic for the post (total 4):
Marcus (Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:05 pm) • Greenfingers (Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:13 pm) • Wrh (Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:16 pm) • kbag (Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:46 pm)

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

The Viparspectra HP500 this thing was actually a beast, 225w of power with more of a red spectrum. I got it for less than £100 in an ebay auction, only problem they burn out after a couple of years and also do get hot compared to quantum boards/bar LEDS (but I would still rather use this than a HPS).

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Anyone got their tape measures out yet???

I've been pondering on this still. I think what my work for me is maybe grabbing an LED and also grabbing a pair of 24w uvb T5s to run along them too.

So I'll be around the 300W power draw area.

I'll grab IR bulbs if I feel the space needs some radiant heat, but then I may as well just stick with CMH. :idn:

The other question is... Samsung or Osram units...? :strangling: :running-around: :surrender:

Is there a discount code for Invis Sun on here too?

Return to “Cannabis Growing”