Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

the importance of correct feeding

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
duke
Respected Member

the importance of correct feeding

Post by duke »

the importance of not overfeeding.
hi all i wrote this some time ago whilst i was cross due to the fellow i was mentoring doing his plants in by blindly following a nutrient feed regime on a stupid chart,torched the lot! so if it sounds a bit grumpy thats cos i was! :rage: :ak:
hello all i thought i would start this thread as there does not seem to be enough info about feeding your cannabis,to start i would begin by saying that everything i write is from my own experiences, i have grown for quite a few years in many different mediums,by far the hardest things for the begginer is nutrients,

i have used many different feeds,i have tried growing organic but failed miserably,why?because i didnt understand the importance of correct feeding.it cost me a few quid and much wasted time!a lot is mentioned about cannabis needing large amounts of nitrogen etc,while this is a fact,the balance between enough and to much is a fine line.we are all sold nutrients and we trust that what it says on the instructions will be right for our plants,

what we as begginers often fail to realise is the amounts given are generally meant for mature plants ie more than a month or so old.these amounts are to much for most plants!once we overfeed we set of a chain of events both in the nutrient uptake ability of the plant and this in turn causes damage to the roots,once the root zone is damaged what may apear as various deficiencys is actualy the inability of the plant to take up the nutrients!

so the most important thing is not to overfeed,those growing in soil for the first time should be most aware of this ,its the most common mistake made by new growers,and about the hardest to put right.

the next most common mistake is to overwater,this is easy to do,its also easy to avoid,when you pot your plant and water for the first time you can weigh it on kitchen scales,take the time to do this and write on the pot or label the wet weight next time you water just weigh it,if thats to much hassle invest in a cheap moisture meter,there not expensive and very good for new growers.after a while you will be able to judge just by how heavy the pot feels.the main thing is that you never allow the roots to sit for long in water,this causes rootrot.to sum up my golden rules,NEVER feed at the maximum,only use at a quarter of the recomendation to start,

and check with the soil as some have slow release fertilisers added,if you use this type whatever you do dont feed the plants for at least 6 weeks.so to sum up,if your leaves start to yellow,stems change colour leaves get spots etc,DO NOT automatically assume you need to feed,first look at your roots are they white?,if yes there good,if there brown and smell funky you have overwatered and need to let it dry.

next if roots good then you can feed but whatever you do cant be quickly undone,so start at low levels and build up as the plant grows.also remember before you start removing leaves,that leaves are the power production mechanism and removing healthy foliage is never a good idea,it will not make buds grow bigger!contrary to some opinions buds do not photosynthesise only leaves,that leaf ISNT blocking the light to that bud its feeding it! basicaly dont overdo the feed and dont overwater,think before you feed! good luck all my fellow growers both old and new!
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 16):
TTL (Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 pm) • Keeno (Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:01 am) • flip (Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 am) • GMO (Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:04 pm) • TheCloudyChef (Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:45 am) • Ancient.Soul.Grown (Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:44 pm) • RB1 (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:41 am) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:48 am) • Rixtar (Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:17 pm) • Guest (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:32 pm) • FX (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:54 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:01 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:18 pm) • TommyT (Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:42 am) • ohlordyeah_420 (Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:27 pm) • Cave Hill Cole (Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:40 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Philzon   Vape4Ever
JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Re: the importance of correct feeding

Post by JJ »

:i agree: Good sound advise i wood say. I have done those things b4, now with GR420 I hope I've learnt a thing or 2 :roll:
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
duke (Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:05 pm) • RB1 (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:52 am)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Great write up Duke.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
duke (Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:04 pm) • RB1 (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:52 am)

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

Problem is I struggle to pick a brand of feed as there so so many
These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post:
duke (Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:04 pm)

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

I think what I’m using is wrong, I used it outside gmo said it is very high in salt
These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post:

mostang64

Post by mostang64 »

Thanks for the info
These users thanked the author mostang64 for the post:
duke (Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:26 pm)

Wayne36
Known User

Post by Wayne36 »

I am using cyco nutrients right now I am kinda stumped as I not sure if I should feed everytime I water every two or three days or just add water in between I have been giving half strength as I dont wanna over feed and kinda scared cause theres quite a few bottles to mix up but so far so good
These users thanked the author Wayne36 for the post:

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

duke wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:37 pm
the importance of not overfeeding.
hi all i wrote this some time ago whilst i was cross due to the fellow i was mentoring doing his plants in by blindly following a nutrient feed regime on a stupid chart,torched the lot! so if it sounds a bit grumpy thats cos i was! :rage: :ak:
hello all i thought i would start this thread as there does not seem to be enough info about feeding your cannabis,to start i would begin by saying that everything i write is from my own experiences, i have grown for quite a few years in many different mediums,by far the hardest things for the begginer is nutrients,

i have used many different feeds,i have tried growing organic but failed miserably,why?because i didnt understand the importance of correct feeding.it cost me a few quid and much wasted time!a lot is mentioned about cannabis needing large amounts of nitrogen etc,while this is a fact,the balance between enough and to much is a fine line.we are all sold nutrients and we trust that what it says on the instructions will be right for our plants,

what we as begginers often fail to realise is the amounts given are generally meant for mature plants ie more than a month or so old.these amounts are to much for most plants!once we overfeed we set of a chain of events both in the nutrient uptake ability of the plant and this in turn causes damage to the roots,once the root zone is damaged what may apear as various deficiencys is actualy the inability of the plant to take up the nutrients!

so the most important thing is not to overfeed,those growing in soil for the first time should be most aware of this ,its the most common mistake made by new growers,and about the hardest to put right.

the next most common mistake is to overwater,this is easy to do,its also easy to avoid,when you pot your plant and water for the first time you can weigh it on kitchen scales,take the time to do this and write on the pot or label the wet weight next time you water just weigh it,if thats to much hassle invest in a cheap moisture meter,there not expensive and very good for new growers.after a while you will be able to judge just by how heavy the pot feels.the main thing is that you never allow the roots to sit for long in water,this causes rootrot.to sum up my golden rules,NEVER feed at the maximum,only use at a quarter of the recomendation to start,

and check with the soil as some have slow release fertilisers added,if you use this type whatever you do dont feed the plants for at least 6 weeks.so to sum up,if your leaves start to yellow,stems change colour leaves get spots etc,DO NOT automatically assume you need to feed,first look at your roots are they white?,if yes there good,if there brown and smell funky you have overwatered and need to let it dry.

next if roots good then you can feed but whatever you do cant be quickly undone,so start at low levels and build up as the plant grows.also remember before you start removing leaves,that leaves are the power production mechanism and removing healthy foliage is never a good idea,it will not make buds grow bigger!contrary to some opinions buds do not photosynthesise only leaves,that leaf ISNT blocking the light to that bud its feeding it! basicaly dont overdo the feed and dont overwater,think before you feed! good luck all my fellow growers both old and new!
Superb information.

Less is more :)
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 2):
RB1 (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:53 am) • duke (Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:26 pm)

RB1

Post by RB1 »

All of the above :surrender: :suicide:

Can i get this in audio book please, ill play it on repeat while sleeping for 40 nights.

Cheers duke :puff puff:

RB
:cowby:
These users thanked the author RB1 for the post:
duke (Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:14 am)

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Very good advice, excess phosphorus in flower causes buds to take on a chemical taste.
Just had the same thing myself, the bottle called for 30-40ml for 10L, I went for 25ml and my plants are showing signs of toxicity, stopped uptake of p/k and caused cal/ mag and mang def, had to put extra water in the reservoir to dilute it to a safe level, since then been running an ec of 1.0 trying to recover them with some calmag to try help them.
These users thanked the author Vador for the post:
duke (Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:02 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”