Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Mycorrhizae and Plants Make Great Allies

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Wizard
Respected Member

Post by Wizard »

so i was reading this article today because it pertains to the soil that I am going to be using for my next grow .. soil im using is Pro-Mix Hp https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/produ ... corrhizae/.
though this would be a good over all read for any soil grower.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 | Ed Bloodnick

In undisturbed soils, mycorrhizal fungi are a major component of the soil's natural microflora, but their presence is not guaranteed in all soils when transplanting new plants in a garden bed or in newly landscaped area. Sometimes, nature needs a little help.

Mycorrhizal fungi live in symbiosis with the roots of a large variety of plants, including trees, shrubs, annuals and perennials. These microscopic fungi form a symbiotic association with the plant's root system in which it forms a network of extremely fine filaments, called mycelium, uniting the two partners appears (Figure 1). This union, called "mycorrhiza" ("myco" for fungus and "rhiza" for root), allows both partners to form a mutual exchange network at the root zone level to support the plant in a cultural environment that can sometimes be hostile.

microscopic fungi

"Figure 1. Picture of roots (larger structures) with mycorrhizal network (smaller threads). Mycorrhizal fungi are microscopic so this picture is enlarged 40 times with a microscope. Source: Premier Tech Horticulture"

In this symbiotic relationship, the mycorrhizal network draws nutrients from the soil for plant roots, which would sometimes be inaccessible without the help of this invaluable ally. Mycelium bring the plant the nutrients it needs to develop properly, elements such as phosphorus copper and zinc, which aren't very mobile in the soil. They also draw water from within the soil's micropores, which would otherwise be inaccessible by the root. Thus, roots colonized by mycorrhizae enables the plant to be better protected and to resist the stress caused by transplanting, drought and heat, while maintaining an optimal growth rate.

Mycorrhizal fungi also receive benefit from symbiosis with the plant. Due to the plants ability to photosynthesize, the plant synthesizes carbon-based substances (sugars), which feeds the fungi. You may say there is an exchange of services between the fungus and the plant.

Soils disturbed by urbanization

Urban landscaping in recent years, is challenged by climate change and urban heat islands that are generated with the use of concrete surfaces in city environments. This means that the plants selected for these locations must be reviewed periodically to ensure they can survive in these landscaped areas with extreme temperatures, drought, human activity, etc. The soil must also be considered when it comes to plant survival, as it plays a crucial part in the retention of water and health of plants, especially for trees and shrubs, whose life cycle is longer than annuals. The organic matter, microflora and other organisms, such as earthworms, are essential factors in soil fertility and play a major role in the plant establishment success.

A good microbiological diversity in the soil helps maintain the soil's structure, which aids in the retention of water and nutrients. For example, it has been recently shown that phosphorus can be made available for plants from apatite (a group of phosphate minerals) through the interaction between mycorrhizal fungi and specific bacteria (Québec Science, January-February 2016).

Unfortunately, urbanization and human activity disturb the soil and greatly reduce the quantity of mycorrhizal propagules it contains. Soil amendments such as peat moss, compost and black earth do not contain the types of mycorrhizae required by most ornamental and vegetable plant species, so they must be added to the soil to help plants adjust to harsh climate and soil environment.

Mycorrhizal inoculants to help save plants

Mycorrhizal fungi inoculants have been available for various uses for about fifteen years. Several formulations are offered, either in soilless media (PRO-MIX MYCORRHIZAE products) for the production of horticultural crops or in more concentrated formulations that can be applied directly in fields at planting, or mixed into growing media used and in nurseries or incorporated into the soil when installing landscapes.

Although the importance of mycorrhizae has been amply demonstrated for decades, most of the plants sold by nurseries or greenhouse growers are not pre-inoculated with mycorrhizae, unless the growing medium contains mycorrhizae. Many growers think that mycorrhizae develop naturally in the soil and mistakenly believe that adding such microorganisms will not have any impact on production or recovery after transplanting. The fact that the benefits of mycorrhizal fungi are minor at the beginning of a production cycle could lead growers to believe that they provide little to no benefit, which is not true.

While the impact of a fertilizer on plant growth is immediate, the effect of a mycorrhizal inoculant will often be evident later, when the plant experiences stress from improper fertility, heat, lack of water, etc. Plants grown in a greenhouse or nursery are watered and fertilized in accordance with their needs. They do often do not see stress, in which mycorrhizae can benefit them. It is only when they leave the greenhouse that they are likely to experience stresses that can be detrimental to their development.
These users thanked the author Wizard for the post (total 3):
Guest (Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:52 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:05 pm) • Rubbered (Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 pm)
We can get swept away by our thoughts,,or learn to step back and see them with clarity.
Easy to forget its a choice

Bulls
Coco Grower

Re: Mycorrhizae and Plants Make Great Allies

Post by Bulls »

Very good read buddy, thanks for sharing:)

Novicefarmer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Novicefarmer »

This is pretty sick , deff following the trend of the living soils and what not . I’ve got a side by side going and am liking the results . Just purely due to ease of care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Novicefarmer for the post:
Guest (Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm)
Scynce dragon xl 600 , 4x2 currently cooking some kirkwood og (og x faceoff og) x desert secret (indica dom mystery strain ). Sourhead (nysd x headband) , crockets Tangi (Cali-o x Skunk ) , also have a tester of a 1-1 strain

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Thats why soil is the lazy mans style, understanding your microbes and maintaining good climate and your gold. For this reason a worm farm is really a must its the best source of microbes you can get. There is a book called teaming with microbes, easy to understand and a must read for soil growers imo.
These users thanked the author Hobbit for the post:
Guest (Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm)

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Since I've been using it in coco the roots are insane. I'd believe I can get away with not using any other root stimulant if sprinkle some Mycorrhizae when potting up.

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Bulls wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 am
Since I've been using it in coco the roots are insane. I'd believe I can get away with npt using any other root stimulant if sprinkle some Mycorrhizae when potting up.

I totally agree mate, i ran an experiment using gws and roots excell, and just gws. No difference except less hassle and less expense. I also ran an experiment on roots excell and bloom final as i noticed their make up was so similar.. No difference in root growth and as you probably know one is a root enhancer one is a flower finisher lol

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Hobbit wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Bulls wrote:
Since I've been using it in coco the roots are insane. I'd believe I can get away with npt using any other root stimulant if sprinkle some Mycorrhizae when potting up.

I totally agree mate, i ran an experiment using gws and roots excell, and just gws. No difference except less hassle and less expense. I also ran an experiment on roots excell and bloom final as i noticed their make up was so similar.. No difference in root growth and as you probably know one is a root enhancer one is a flower finisher lol
trust me bach the more ewe fuk about with the mud.........the more complicated ewe makes things see......... a good multi purpose compost + a bottle off grow + bloom is all thats needed.........oooops + a general understanding of how plants breath + grow......btw grown correctly canna actually loves water daily........... imo. :Stoned: well mine do see.
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm)

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

captain beefheart wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:46 pm
Hobbit wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:35 pm
Bulls wrote:

trust me bach the more ewe fuk about with the mud.........the more complicated ewe makes things see......... a good multi purpose compost + a bottle off grow + bloom is all thats needed.........oooops + a general understanding of how plants breath + grow......btw grown correctly canna actually loves water daily........... imo. :Stoned: well mine do see.

I agree capt keep it simple, but the great white shark or any product like it will give you very dramatic root growth results as well as many other benefits. Ive experimented with it on tomatoes and chillies, also Bud light year did an experiment which he documented with pics. There is no argument that this a great product. Ive also used it to inoculate microbe teas and used it in gardens that have very poor soil life, within a couple of months with just 2 treatments the soil structure is changing and worms have gone from non existent to being present in numbers. Worms feed on microbes so when they show up you now your microbe population is increasing.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

yeah yeah i hear yuh bach i wont be buying it tho like i say nothing more than a nice grow + bloom fert is all thats needed,i give up on the add ons years ago + ive tried a few.atb :Stoned:

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

captain beefheart wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:58 pm
yeah yeah i hear yuh bach i wont be buying it tho like i say nothing more than a nice grow + bloom fert is all thats needed,i give up on the add ons years ago + ive tried a few.atb :Stoned:

Totally agree most add ons are a waste of money mate.

Return to “Cannabis Growing”