Welcome to the cannabis growing section. Discuss and share knowledge about growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Mycorrhizae and Plants Make Great Allies

Knowledge base and discussions for growing cannabis
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Mycorrhizae and Plants Make Great Allies

Post by Marcus »

GMO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:11 pm
And the idea we cater to all plants needs with bottled nutrients is like saying you "could" live on bread and water. But like fuck would you reach your full potential

translated from the bongo of the canna jungle
I grew up on water sarnies... Never did me any harm. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 4):
GMO (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:36 pm) • KD (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:38 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:43 pm) • 2-Scoops (Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:49 am)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
KD
Known User

Post by KD »

GMO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:24 pm
KrazyDave wrote:If it takes 9 months to form symbiosis with a plant, why am I sprinkling it in my soil? Wouldn't it save money not bothering with it instead?
Full colonization and symbiosis are a lil different. The use of trichoderma and mycorrhizal will encourage different types of root growth so full colonization doesnt have to be your aim

Ah ok. Thought I was just wasting money for a sec then.
These users thanked the author KD for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:50 am)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 pm
I grew up on water sarnies... Never did me any harm.
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Marcus (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:45 pm)
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:44 pm
Marcus wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:28 pm
I grew up on water sarnies... Never did me any harm.
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
You LUCKY SOD!!!

At least you got to go to sleep.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:56 pm)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:47 pm
You LUCKY SOD!!!

At least you got to go to sleep.
These users thanked the author The Aspie Toker for the post:
Marcus (Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:56 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

GMO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:10 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
In undisturbed soils, mycorrhizal fungi are a major component of the soil's natural microflora, but their presence is not guaranteed in all soils when transplanting new plants in a garden bed or in newly landscaped area. Sometimes, nature needs a little help.
Took the quote from the original post. Are they talking shit or what ? I`m not having it myself that mycorrhiza isn`t in abundance in disturbed or landscaped garden soils outdoors and even if its not their in abundance it soon will be if your planting out loads of plants were talking 1000`s of of different species not 4 or 5 you get from a bloody packet and that`s if they work at all from a bloody packet that you don`t know how it has been treated before you get your hands on it to start with They`re talking total bollox they are in that statement. Prolly someone wrote that who has their own product to sell on. I`m calling shenanigan's on that one.

Another point about mycorrhiza when you think its not worked and such like, lets say i see some "rootgrow" mycorr on shelf down Wilko`s in Summer, well its prolly been sat on that shelf since Spring and is basically well fucked up sat in heat or sat in window or anywhere heat or Sun is blazing down on it in your local grow nursery. I swear check out Wilko`s its on shelf or in window sat in red hot heat and usually same at grow nurseries, they`re fucking clueless man, it`s a none starter from word go if your using fungi sprinkles that`s been treated like that and believe it they are.

Here`s a good read https://www.gardenmyths.com/mycorrhizae ... -products/

Whilst on about it... well is it really called for when growing in pots or water/hydro unless your a total organic growing type person their really is no point of it imho cus your giving and catering for all plants needs yourself by giving enough ferts and water. In fact I'm calling shenanigans on fungi sprinkles full stop one way or another or for one reason or another. That`s if your not jiggling it up growing organically then theirs a case for using it i suppose. 8-)
There is only one species with data to prove it forms symbiosis with the single crop we focus on. So whilst you might have 1000's it could be that all of them ignore your plant or the 999 do but one wants to be a pathogenic species due to the lack of a single beneficial. Key point in case is how fusarium can be symbiotic or pathogenic but doesnt form mycorrhizae with cannabis as previously mentioned that spots already taken.

There lots of factors here. Even a good symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi can take 9 month to colonize a single plants root system

Maybe so and maybe not so i just don`t know Could all those 1000`s of species still get jiggy and form a relationship with roots or not, do we know ? :idn:

So i know you mentioned to me before, but i forgot mate, shed head n all that. But yes show long is it before this stuff starts to work if i was to add it into my pots ?

I see you mention trichoderma and it helping root growth a post or so back what does that do to encourage root growth ?

I`m a big fan of using ferts to encourage plant & root growth personally speaking
GMO wrote:
And the idea we cater to all plants needs with bottled nutrients is like saying you "could" live on bread and water. But like fuck would you reach your full potential

Well it works for me and my weed gets me smashed. i can`t see many hobbyist growers using anything else but bottled feeds either and they will still be getting smashed on their mycorr fungi`less grown weed. I suppose it depends what were wanting from our hobby.

Is their anything on paper showing it can`t be grown to its full potential without mycorr fungi, lets say a strength test of thc% or whatever potential test of the weed grown with mycorr incorporated and one without ? I still don`t buy it, but that`s me and each to their own at end of shift mate

I don`t go for your bread and water anology on it either GMO
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
GMO (Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:24 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

2-Scoops wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:16 pm
GMO wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:10 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
Took the quote from the original post. Are they talking shit or what ? I`m not having it myself that mycorrhiza isn`t in abundance in disturbed or landscaped garden soils outdoors and even if its not their in abundance it soon will be if your planting out loads of plants were talking 1000`s of of different species not 4 or 5 you get from a bloody packet and that`s if they work at all from a bloody packet that you don`t know how it has been treated before you get your hands on it to start with They`re talking total bollox they are in that statement. Prolly someone wrote that who has their own product to sell on. I`m calling shenanigan's on that one.

Another point about mycorrhiza when you think its not worked and such like, lets say i see some "rootgrow" mycorr on shelf down Wilko`s in Summer, well its prolly been sat on that shelf since Spring and is basically well fucked up sat in heat or sat in window or anywhere heat or Sun is blazing down on it in your local grow nursery. I swear check out Wilko`s its on shelf or in window sat in red hot heat and usually same at grow nurseries, they`re fucking clueless man, it`s a none starter from word go if your using fungi sprinkles that`s been treated like that and believe it they are.

Here`s a good read https://www.gardenmyths.com/mycorrhizae ... -products/

Whilst on about it... well is it really called for when growing in pots or water/hydro unless your a total organic growing type person their really is no point of it imho cus your giving and catering for all plants needs yourself by giving enough ferts and water. In fact I'm calling shenanigans on fungi sprinkles full stop one way or another or for one reason or another. That`s if your not jiggling it up growing organically then theirs a case for using it i suppose. 8-)
There is only one species with data to prove it forms symbiosis with the single crop we focus on. So whilst you might have 1000's it could be that all of them ignore your plant or the 999 do but one wants to be a pathogenic species due to the lack of a single beneficial. Key point in case is how fusarium can be symbiotic or pathogenic but doesnt form mycorrhizae with cannabis as previously mentioned that spots already taken.

There lots of factors here. Even a good symbiotic mycorrhizal fungi can take 9 month to colonize a single plants root system

Maybe so and maybe not so i just don`t know Could all those 1000`s of species still get jiggy and form a relationship with roots or not, do we know ? :idn:

So i know you mentioned to me before, but i forgot mate, shed head n all that. But yes show long is it before this stuff starts to work if i was to add it into my pots ?

I see you mention trichoderma and it helping root growth a post or so back what does that do to encourage root growth ?

I`m a big fan of using ferts to encourage plant & root growth personally speaking
GMO wrote:

Well it works for me and my weed gets me smashed. i can`t see many hobbyist growers using anything else but bottled feeds either and they will still be getting smashed on their mycorr fungi`less grown weed. I suppose it depends what were wanting from our hobby.

Is their anything on paper showing it can`t be grown to its full potential without mycorr fungi, lets say a strength test of thc% or whatever potential test of the weed grown with mycorr incorporated and one without ? I still don`t buy it, but that`s me and each to their own at end of shift mate

I don`t go for your bread and water anology on it either GMO
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12276 the dude in this video needs practice abit more but the info he provides is pretty invaluable

https://www.cannabistech.com/articles/m ... ltivation/ this lady writing is abit nicer to read but she doesnt provide much source material.

this is the base study most have used to further develop products >> https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15698640/

Now i didnt exactly say that plants couldnt meet their full potential without myco or tricho, but there is research to suggest if they arent present that when the plants are developing that they plants dont develop defenses for some pathogens https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens ... at.1003221

this is how tricho effects root formation http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/149/3/1579.short

they are all just tools for us to use buddy. not saying anyone has to use anything. just that 17 or 20 elements is a pretty small pallet for plants to work with

in regards to fungi getting jiggy, i was discussing that with GHO before xmas and glomous is incredibly good at making them kinda connections, but it still needs to be there in the first place

extra side note. different tricho have different uses for us, verde iirc is already in coco in high population but tricho spp. harz is not, its native to NZ so unless you bring it in to do battle with botrytis its simply not there so bud rot has an easier time
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:05 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

and the study that really blew my mind

https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2607/8/3/355/htm
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:05 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

GMO wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:35 pm
Now i didnt exactly say that plants couldnt meet their full potential without myco or tricho, but there is research to suggest if they arent present that when the plants are developing that they plants dont develop defenses for some pathogens https://journals.plos.org/plospathogens ... at.1003221
So i will take a read in a moment nice one, but i always thought mycorr did nothing to destroy pathogens although i know certain trichoderma does attack and kill pathogens, tbh its always one that`s thrown is me is that cus mycorr fungi would also be a pathogen to trichoderma and yet tis said they both live in a symbiotic relationship quite happily and they do. But cool gonna take a ganders at a few of ya links, thx. :)
GMO (Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Man you`ve got my head hurting now with some of these links, deep stuff . So if I'm understanding this link (just abstract part of it) right https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15698640/ it`s saying use of mycorrhizae reduces yield and also heavy metals (bad for our health right/wrong ? ) are more prominent in plants shoots, stems and leaves basically they are spread all around plant in those that have been inoculated with mycorr than non-inoculated plants where heavy metals are usually found around or in roots. Don`t sound good. Correct me if I'm wrong here please cus for life of me i can`t see why anyone would wanna use this stuff if bit i think i understand is right. :idn:

Just reading the last link that blew your mind now, yes i think I can just about get my head around that too with a bit of googling of big words, but man its a long en @GMO
GMO (Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:53 pm)

Return to “Cannabis Growing”