Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Chea and effective ways to lower RH

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
HaydenR4238

Chea and effective ways to lower RH

Post by HaydenR4238 »

Has anyone got any ideas how I can lower my humidity?

Air intake and outtake is currently out of the question.

Im running a dehumidifier 24/7 and emptying regularly. I have 2 fans running and even tried putting a bowl of rice in my tent. Can't seem to get it to stay under 80RH.

Tent is small, 60 x 60 x 140.

Open to any cheap and effective ideas. Coming into my last few weeks of flower so really need it fixed ASAP!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author HaydenR4238 for the post:
Inactive account (Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:19 pm)

WhIpLaSh

Re: Chea and effective ways to lower RH

Post by WhIpLaSh »

Pick one. Cheap or effective? Don't think you can have both in this scenario.

HaydenR4238

Post by HaydenR4238 »

WhIpLaSh wrote:Pick one. Cheap or effective? Don't think you can have both in this scenario.
Either or, as I said open to any ideas. I only have a few weeks left so don't want to go over and above with money

WhIpLaSh

Post by WhIpLaSh »

HaydenR4238 wrote:
WhIpLaSh wrote:Pick one. Cheap or effective? Don't think you can have both in this scenario.
Either or, as I said open to any ideas. I only have a few weeks left so don't want to go over and above with money

Cheap options are:

Don't overwater your plants. Defoliate (but you risk extending the time to harvest) Increase the ventilation by adding more fans (oscillating wall fans and floor fans, if possible). Increase the speed of your exhaust fan so that you're changing out the humid air more often.

Expensive option:
A dehumidifier that's properly suited to the job.
These users thanked the author WhIpLaSh for the post (total 2):
HaydenR4238 (Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:28 pm) • Minty (Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:59 pm)

HaydenR4238

Post by HaydenR4238 »

WhIpLaSh wrote:
HaydenR4238 wrote:

Cheap options are:

Don't overwater your plants. Defoliate (but you risk extending the time to harvest) Increase the ventilation by adding more fans (oscillating wall fans and floor fans, if possible). Increase the speed of your exhaust fan so that you're changing out the humid air more often.

Expensive option:
A dehumidifier that's properly suited to the job.
Been taking the plant out of my tent to water and letting the run off stop before putting it back in. I was seriously considering a pretty heavy defoliation actually but didn't want to cause any stress at least until I tried adding another fan. Growing an auto so really wouldn't be ideal.

Tent is in the garage and it's been really humid outside, I'm not able to grow in my house but have been considering moving my set up to a friend's house for the last few weeks. Would really help when it comes to drying aswell to be honest. May be my best option.

Just don't like the thought of it being over there while I'm over here.

Spent £40 on my dehumidifier, it does an okay job, just think anything bigger would be overkill for such a small space. Wouldn't even have room for anything bigger either.

These users thanked the author HaydenR4238 for the post:
WhIpLaSh (Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:39 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

The problem I find with dehumidifiers is that you have to get one that can do the job so you need to spend a little money and they all come with a downside in that they are either noisy as feck, or produce heat as a by product.

I opted for the later and went with a Desiccant Dehumidifier which has a constant drain pipe (very important)
image.png
As my Groom is above my bed sound was more of a factor than heat, BUT the downside is that it kicks out a shit load of heat (this has obviously been a problem recently - but I would imagine for the rest of the year not so much). Size wise it is not too bad in the location I have it which is facing backwards in the tent hanging from the beams:-
ImageImage

as my tent is pretty much limited on one side due to the way the loft beams split the tent in half.

It's kinda planned out so that the dehumidifier draws in air from the front & blows the hot air up the side of the tent where hopefully extracted.

Not really sure if there are any hacks to decrease humidity other than using air flow or biting the bullet and getting yourself a decent dehumidifier (or an air conditioner if you really want to go for it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HaydenR4238

Post by HaydenR4238 »

Thanks for your input mate. Definitely going to update my current set up after this grow. I didn't think dehumidifiers put out heat!

It's starting to get cold where I am now and noise is a big problem for me also, that dehumidifier sounds ideal for me at the moment. Although it wouldn't currently fit in my tent with my plant.

I think my next grow will be done at a friend's house for sure. I think a lot of my problems have been down to my tent being so close to the outdoor elements which really aren't ideal conditions for growing in. Plus I'm itching to grow more than 1 now that I'm getting the hang of things. I plan on adding that dehumidifier to my shopping list though. 1 of many new things I'll be purchasing!

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Hey HaydenR4238

Well bro Mr Nice has the same size tent as you what ive done to control RH in my tent is install a barthroom extractor fan with built in humidistat.

Inside the fan theres a little dial you can turn with a screw driver to ajust the humidistat from 50RH to 75RH
Normally at the start of a grow i set it to 65RH then when flower starts i lower it down to 50RH
Its automatic plug it in away you go

Fan is an xpelair Ghost Air Movement Technology enables near-silent running
two speeds selectable at install at 15 and 21l/s,
Cost me lik £35 or £40

Thats what ive been using for over a year and half now had no problems

Hope that helps

:Stoned: :Stoned: :Stoned:
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
HaydenR4238 (Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am) • Minty (Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:09 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Sounds to me that the intake air is too humid from inside your garage
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 3):
Sage (Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:11 am) • HaydenR4238 (Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am) • MrNice (Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:18 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

If you want to properly reduce your RH, you need to upgrade your extraction, it will be cheaper to do that in the long run.

i use an adjustable dehumidifier, with auto shut off, but its not in the room its outside, and i just throw the RO water from it into my 200 litre water butt.
works a treat. RH is around 50% now 6 weeks into bloom.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 3):
HaydenR4238 (Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:13 am) • The Aspie Toker (Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:15 pm) • Minty (Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:10 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”