Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

What's your essentials in an organic /non organic soil mix?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
HippyDi
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's your essentials in an organic /non organic soil mix?

Post by HippyDi »

So I'm mixing my own soil and am overwhelmed by the information out there on the 'right' way. So from people who have mixed their own soil, what are your must haves and nice to haves? :)

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: What's your essentials in an organic /non organic soil mix?

Post by GMO »

Hi, and thanks for another brilliant question

i think i can break it down a little; peat/coco coir is typical base mixed with a hearty compost as enrichment and nutrients. some times dolomite, bone and blood meals can added to create a richer soil as well as things like volcanic rock dust, seaweeds or just house and garden waste. If your interested in organic soil, take a looking into no till living soils. not the nicest to look at, but incredible results

I really wise i had some solid info for you. Oh Lord Yeah 420 is our soil guru, ill get him to jump in and give you some advise when he is around :D
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

HippyDi

Post by HippyDi »

Awesome thank you!:)

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

I'll sit down and answer this tonight when I'm not in work and I can let you know what I've found has worked and not worked as well. 👍
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Dolomite lime added months in advance helps with calmag issues. (1 tablespoon per 5 litres)
Semen gives good results when potting up, as does mycorrhizal fungi.
Worm tea.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

HippyDi

Post by HippyDi »

The Aspie Toker wrote:Dolomite lime added months in advance helps with calmag issues. (1 tablespoon per 5 litres)
Semen gives good results when potting up, as does mycorrhizal fungi.
Worm tea.
Thank you:) Semen though.... Either its a new product I don't get in my third world country or I need to start stocking up on lube and collection cups for my husband and his mates...

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

HippyDi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:33 pm
or I need to start stocking up on lube and collection cups for my husband and his mates...Image
Sounds like a good idea. It contains vitamin C, calcium, chlorine, citric acid, fructose, lactic acid, magnesium, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, vitamin B12 and zinc.

Oh, if you're making tea, then you'll need unsulphered blackstrap molasses.

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

What is good HippyDi?

So first of all there is no 'right' way when it comes to soil and I like that freedom personally.

I started using bought soil (biobizz) and then, over later grows, started to add a few amendments until I've finally started to make my own soil mix.

What works for me (and this may not work for anyone else!) is having the building blocks of nutrients in the soil and then adding any macro nutrients via foliar or waterings.

So right now for veg I use coco, organic mushroom compost, Perlite, calcified kelp and volcanic rock dust. I used to measure but now I can pretty much make up a soil mix (I always mix up a 100 litres as I use 25 litre pots and grow 4 plants at a time and it makes maths easier when you're high) using handfuls of amendments.

I prefer to use foliar sprays of Cal mag to prevent any deficiency. Reason being as you really need to add dolomite lime and let it cook with your soil. Plus I've had calmag issues with a few grows now so I thought if I'm treating it with a calmag foliar spray I may as well just use that and skip the dolomite.

For flower I use the same except I've been swapping out the kelp for bat guano(I pot up just before I filp them to flower). This for the last 2 runs have worked out well.

The most important thing to have is time. The soil needs to cook for at least 4-6 weeks before you want to use it. Trust me, I've ruined a few seedlings now by putting them into 'hot' soil. Also remember you're not feeding the plant but feeding the soil so the plant can take what it needs from the soil.

Compost teas feed that soil microbes and keep it living and the plants happy. I've done a bit of research and listened to a lot of podcasts on compost teas so if that's the route you're going for (I have seen great results from compost teas so recommend fully) I'll give you some tips/advice.

Make sure you hold off on any bottle nutrients until your plants start to look like they could do with a feed. I've carried on feeding plants as normal after potting up in the past (like 6 weeks ago :lol: ) only for the roots to grow into some nitrogen heavy soil and then, boom, they're over fed.

Also I use a layer of plain coco (about 1 inch thick) over the top of soil as I was having fungus gnats living in the soil up until then. they don't seem to like the coco and I've had a pest free run so far (I think it was the biobizz soil that gave me fungus gnats tbh)

Here's how I stack my soil, this is my flowering soil for the next run which are still baby seedlings... always planning with soil but it's nice to get outside and do some shovelling.

Just so you know I've only been growing since feb 2018 so I'm no expert and this may be like singing to the choir or a load of shit but it's how I do it and so far... so good.

Anything else, just ask :dance:

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

oh and aspie said Great white myco is awesome.
Semen works great too but you need a pint per litre of soil for it to be noticeable :sick:

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:08 pm
oh and aspie said Great white myco is awesome.
Semen works great too but you need a pint per litre of soil for it to be noticeable :sick:
I've only used it for potting up with, not as a facial :D

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”