Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Hot compost

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
TheCloudyChef

Hot compost

Post by TheCloudyChef »

So the compost I've purchased seems a tad hot and has thrown nute burn up in my basil plants.
It has quite a whiff of manure to it .

Now if I fill my pots up with it then create around a 5ltr well filled with a weaker compost and sow auto seeds into the lighter compost do you think that's enough medium to get plants going and stabilised before it hits the stronger medium ?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author TheCloudyChef for the post:
Inactive account (Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:37 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Re: Hot compost

Post by seymore_budz »

TheCloudyChef wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:13 pm
So the compost I've purchased seems a tad hot and has thrown nute burn up in my basil plants.

Now if I fill my pots up with it then create around a 5ltr well filled with a weaker compost and sow auto seeds into the lighter compost do you think that's enough medium to get plants going and stabilised before it hits the stronger medium ?

Personally I'd bin it and get some fresh potting compost. You don't know what's going on to cause the funky whiff. Could be full of ammonia and cannabis hates ammonia.

You cannot "dilute" soil either as minerals are not immediately available to the plant and relies on biological processes to make available. Again, you'll ve guessing :) it could work and everything will be fine, but it might not and you could also end up with lockouts and PH issues etc.

What compost was it BTW? If its sub-par quality then it might help others avoid the same issues.
These users thanked the author seymore_budz for the post:
TheCloudyChef (Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:22 pm)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

TheCloudyChef

Post by TheCloudyChef »

seymore_budz wrote:
TheCloudyChef wrote:

Personally I'd bin it and get some fresh potting compost. You don't know what's going on to cause the funky whiff. Could be full of ammonia and cannabis hates ammonia.

You cannot "dilute" soil either as minerals are not immediately available to the plant and relies on biological processes to make available. Again, you'll ve guessing :) it could work and everything will be fine, but it might not and you could also end up with lockouts and PH issues etc.

What compost was it BTW? If its sub-par quality then it might help others avoid the same issues.
Just some cheap Supa Grow organic compost buddy . First grow a k so was trying to keep cost to a minimum . Which may have been a bad choice

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

TheCloudyChef wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:23 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
TheCloudyChef wrote:

Just some cheap Supa Grow organic compost buddy . First grow a k so was trying to keep cost to a minimum . Which may have been a bad choice

OK, if money is an issue, you could open up the bag and air things out a bit. That might give the microbiology to balance things out. Open the bag and turn over the soil a few times to aerate and leave it for a few days. If the smell disappears and the PH is good, will probably be OK from there.
Last edited by seymore_budz on Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheCloudyChef

Post by TheCloudyChef »

seymore_budz wrote:
TheCloudyChef wrote:
seymore_budz wrote: Personally I'd bin it and get some fresh potting compost. You don't know what's going on to cause the funky whiff. Could be full of ammonia and cannabis hates ammonia.

OK, if money is an issue, you could open up the bag and air things out a bit. That might give the microbiology to balance things out. Open the bag and turn over the soul a few times to aerate and leave it for a few days. If the smell disappears and the PH is good, will probably be OK from there.
Yh only just getting back to work.
One bag been open and I've been turning and its drying out n getting better. I'll crack another open n see what it's about.

seymore_budz (Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:32 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

TheCloudyChef wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:18 pm
seymore_budz wrote:
TheCloudyChef wrote:

OK, if money is an issue, you could open up the bag and air things out a bit. That might give the microbiology to balance things out. Open the bag and turn over the soul a few times to aerate and leave it for a few days. If the smell disappears and the PH is good, will probably be OK from there.
Yh only just getting back to work.
One bag been open and I've been turning and its drying out n getting better. I'll crack another open n see what it's about.

Sounds like the compost is relatively fresh and there's a lot of bioactivty occurring that's causing those smells.
. You're taking the right steps though, so I'm sure things will be OK. One more thing to consider is not to let it dry out too much. You want the beanies to do their thing and convert all that shit into plant food :lol:

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

This stuff ?

i had 6 bags through lockdown all stunk of ammonia and had plastic waste and all manner of crap in them.

if you want good compost collect leaves now and you will have some lovely compost next year 8-) good luck with your grow.
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
TheCloudyChef (Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:49 pm)

TheCloudyChef

Post by TheCloudyChef »

Greenfingers wrote:This stuff ?

i had 6 bags through lockdown all stunk of ammonia and had plastic waste and all manner of crap in them.

if you want good compost collect leaves now and you will have some lovely compost next year 8-) good luck with your grow.
I'll double check in a bit when I go open one. Double bagged so didnt pay attention last bag

TheCloudyChef

Post by TheCloudyChef »

This is it . This ones dried out a bit so not looking as wet as it was .

It's just me rushing stuff - I should have really just started up some living soil in my 59ltr fabrics.
Lesson learnt- I'll see if theres any preserving with this if not I'll just wait till I can start the way I mean to go on . This was only for a quick budget auto grow ImageImage

Greenfingers (Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:15 pm)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

TheCloudyChef wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:05 pm
This is it . This ones dried out a bit so not looking as wet as it was .

It's just me rushing stuff - I should have really just started up some living soil in my 59ltr fabrics.
Lesson learnt- I'll see if theres any preserving with this if not I'll just wait till I can start the way I mean to go on . This was only for a quick budget auto grow ImageImage

Ahh that's not potting compost :) The reason why it's too rich is because that's a soil conditioner and should be mixed with something else. Sorry, I thought you had potting compost. Don't plant directly into that or you'll burn the shit out of them :lol:

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”