Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Thoughts on reducing light intensity in late flower?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Sage
Respected Member

Thoughts on reducing light intensity in late flower?

Post by Sage »

Anyone done it have an opinion? Like anything Canna related you can look this up online and find people in both camps pro and vs. Mostly against from what I've been reading is weight. The pros have been less heat and all the issues that can cause like foxtailing, also trichome degrading, and terpene loss. I'm kinda of the thinking that it would simulate the natural sun, but full on my thoughts AKA bro science lol.
These users thanked the author Sage for the post (total 3):
Greenfingers (Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:52 am) • 2-Scoops (Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:28 pm) • anova.330 (Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm)
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

Greenfingers
Known User

Re: Thoughts on reducing light intensity in late flower?

Post by Greenfingers »

I've also thought about this and also using them red LEDs during that time in flower.
Following
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Sage (Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 pm)

Wrh
Known User

Post by Wrh »

In nature the plants would be getting less light during the end of flower than for example in veg so I've always thought this could be the case but I suppose if your after weight as opposed to quality more light the better
These users thanked the author Wrh for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:13 pm) • Sage (Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:45 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Cant say I've ever noticed any difference when I've done it once or twice, once upon a time. Prolly got a little less bud but tbh i never used to weigh bud so i couldn`t say for sure. Your right about the mimicking sun thing though, also said that it should help them finish up a little quicker on the longer drawn out strains. Basically i just raised big lights up to reduce intensity when i did it. Much easier to turn down LED nowadays and save a few pence though, i suppose. But yes i think its prolly gonna effect yields slightly but i cant say i noticed any difference though when I've done it in all honesty Sage.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
Greenfingers (Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:14 pm) • Sage (Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:47 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

If anything, I knock an hour, (then another) off the lights on timer at the back end of flower.
Saves a few quid on the electric and they tend to finish up nice enough for me.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 4):
Greenfingers (Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:14 pm) • anova.330 (Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm) • Sage (Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:47 pm) • Wrh (Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:33 am)

duke
Respected Member

Post by duke »

not for finishing early i have bro slackness method that works much better,first invite the grandsons down then try tend the weed without them spotting and questioning which causes you to feck up entirely the ph down and find out the hard way 3 days later when all growth stops dead and the leaves all turn bright yellow in a week! then as if this was nt enough you then forget to switch the dimmer back up and let them sit in near darkness for another week.
they finish real quick then. now fit only for the oil pot!peace
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 3):
Sage (Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:03 am) • Wrh (Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 am) • HRH (Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:55 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

duke wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:30 pm
not for finishing early i have bro slackness method that works much better,first invite the grandsons down then try tend the weed without them spotting and questioning which causes you to feck up entirely the ph down and find out the hard way 3 days later when all growth stops dead and the leaves all turn bright yellow in a week! then as if this was nt enough you then forget to switch the dimmer back up and let them sit in near darkness for another week.
they finish real quick then. now fit only for the oil pot!peace
well I guess that is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, just not by much lol.
These users thanked the author Sage for the post (total 3):
Wrh (Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 am) • HRH (Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:55 am) • duke (Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:55 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”