Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Top or not?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Keeno
Site Admin

Re: Top or not?

Post by Keeno »

I'd not top at this point. You are at that stage when a your plant will grow upward fast, much faster than a topped plants 2 nodes will.

Drop the net a bit, run the tops to cover as much net as possible. Every top/branch will produce multiple tops when laid flat into net. Topping at this point will slightly prolongthe veg stage.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:59 pm) • sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:26 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Thanks everyone! My thinking was that because the GTH is already taller and growing taller quicker than the other strains, it would catch up with the others eventually if topped and hopefully not dominate the space too much. I get that multiple tops come from a horizontal branch, but the tip of each branch will keep growing and will probably need to be spiraled around the net, encroaching on the space of the other strains, when ideally I'd like them to all be a similar size when it comes to flip, as the GTH is likely to continue outstretching the others. I'm not too bothered about a longer wait, but then again, it could be tricky keeping sativas going in living soil if I do veg for much longer. Hmmmm! :idn:
These users thanked the author sybarite for the post:
Keeno (Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

:oik!: I went with lowering the net and not topping, GTH is all spreadeagled everywhere!

These users thanked the author sybarite for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:34 am) • Cave Hill Cole (Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:39 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

looks grand. how you enjoying the green smart pots?
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

GMO wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:04 am
Thanks GMO, I love the pots, they seems to work very well with living soil, just need to be careful with bottom watering during bloom. Thanks for recommending them.
GMO (Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:08 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

sybarite wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm
GMO wrote:
Thanks GMO, I love the pots, they seems to work very well with living soil, just need to be careful with bottom watering during bloom. Thanks for recommending them.
Im glad to hear your liking them buddy

one little side note about them; if you have a decent worm population, you might find that your res seems to hold less and less water over time. after about 3 cycles i turned my pots out and found that the res were more than half full of pure worm castings.

So just a heads up that you may wanna turn them out once in a while and collect the castings before putting the pot and soil back in and going again in them

best of luck dude
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
sybarite (Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:20 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

GMO wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:11 pm
sybarite wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:26 pm
GMO wrote:
Im glad to hear your liking them buddy

one little side note about them; if you have a decent worm population, you might find that your res seems to hold less and less water over time. after about 3 cycles i turned my pots out and found that the res were more than half full of pure worm castings.

So just a heads up that you may wanna turn them out once in a while and collect the castings before putting the pot and soil back in and going again in them

best of luck dude
Oh, top tip, :thanks:. I did wonder what kind of mess would end up in the tank and my soil is teeming with worms.
Last edited by sybarite on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Hey @Keeno, what would you do if you had a stretchy sativa among less stretchy ones, like my GTH? Would you train it back in on itself, kind of spiraling it, or would you train it around the edges of all the other plants, or something else? You probably wouldn't be as stupid as me in the first place, putting different Sativas in the same tent :lol:
Keeno (Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:43 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

sybarite wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:29 pm
Hey @Keeno, what would you do if you had a stretchy sativa among less stretchy ones, like my GTH? Would you train it back in on itself, kind of spiraling it, or would you train it around the edges of all the other plants, or something else? You probably wouldn't be as stupid as me in the first place, putting different Sativas in the same tent :lol:
I had a moby dick do this on my last run. I pinched the stem a few times bit she still kept going. Ended in the light, bleached to fook. I lost my shit and went to snap it off but it just fell sideways. Turns out she was happy after that . The to cloas bent across the canopy. Was mad to watch the buds they were making up to top slowly turn towards the light

So in short... go in there a give the plant a beating 😈
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
sybarite (Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:16 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Keeno wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:48 pm
sybarite wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:29 pm
I had a moby dick do this on my last run. I pinched the stem a few times bit she still kept going. Ended in the light, bleached to fook. I lost my shit and went to snap it off but it just fell sideways. Turns out she was happy after that . The to cloas bent across the canopy. Was mad to watch the buds they were making up to top slowly turn towards the light

So in short... go in there a give the plant a beating 😈
:lol: time to get brutal then, cheers Keeno. How was the Moby Dick to smoke and who was the breeder? I've considered growing that.

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”