Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Top or not?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
sybarite
Known User

Top or not?

Post by sybarite »

Hello GR420, I'm wondering what's best here. I'm trying a slightly different scrog method, allowing the plants to grow as bushes into the net. Normally, I would train the plants into the net sooner. As you may see, the Ghost Train Haze (top left) is getting taller and wider than all the others, which are roughly equal height, so to prevent it from becoming taller than the rest and dominating the area laterally I'm considering topping the main four upper branches at the red marks shown to allow it's lower branches and the other plants to catch up. If I train it rather than topping I think it may spread out too much. :idn:

These users thanked the author sybarite for the post (total 6):
Greenfingers (Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:36 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:48 pm) • Wardrobe Farming (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:30 pm) • Keeno (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:41 pm) • kbag (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:43 pm) • Captain Beefheart (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:47 pm)

London Seed Centre   The Cannabis Experts - You Tube
MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Re: Top or not?

Post by MommaB »

They are beautiful girls 😊 as far as the topping and training..you are already braver than I am growing a sativa in a tent🤣🤣 I've done that one time and grew a cannabis monster
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post (total 3):
sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:48 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:48 pm) • Vador (Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:05 pm)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Momma bear wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:47 pm
They are beautiful girls 😊 as far as the topping and training..you are already braver than I am growing a sativa in a tent🤣🤣 I've done that one time and grew a cannabis monster
:lol: Thank you. Yes, sativas in tents is a bit crazy, but some are more monstrous than others and this Ghost Train Haze could almost be one of those. At least scrogging gives some leeway with the beasts. I bet you scrogged the hell out of it! 🤣

Wardrobe Farming

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

I'm going with topping, id maybe let them stretch out a bit and then take a few cuttings to even up them up if it was me. That is providing you have time to let them recover and branch out before flipping. I'd be keeping an eye out during the stretch period as well. From my experience the taller ones can stretch a bit or a lot more during flip so maybe consider tucking her a little longer than the others. Looking good :clap:
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post:
sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:34 pm)

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

Nice work :harvest: ....
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:49 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Wardrobe Farming wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:32 pm
I'm going with topping, id maybe let them stretch out a bit and then take a few cuttings to even up them up if it was me. That is providing you have time to let them recover and branch out before flipping. I'd be keeping an eye out during the stretch period as well. From my experience the taller ones can stretch a bit or a lot more during flip so maybe consider tucking her a little longer than the others. Looking good :clap:
Thank you! I think these deserve more time in veg, maybe another two weeks, as impatient as I can be, I'm not in any rush for these and will take cuttings from all of them before the flip. Tucking her longer after the flip could work. First runs with multiple new strains are always fun :barmy:
These users thanked the author sybarite for the post:
Wardrobe Farming (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

100% 🎲 Its always easier the second time around
sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

Just looking back at the pictures, could you do what Keeno and Anova have shown recently and crank that net down lower and lower spreading the plants out as you go? Could give you nearly a fully canopy with minimal veg time.
sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:40 pm)

sybarite
Known User

Post by sybarite »

Wardrobe Farming wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:29 pm
Just looking back at the pictures, could you do what Keeno and Anova have shown recently and crank that net down lower and lower spreading the plants out as you go? Could give you nearly a fully canopy with minimal veg time.
Yes, I could, that's kind of what I've usually done in the past, but wanted to try something a little different this time, I guess the idea being to allow the plants to support themselves more, becoming more bush-shaped and growing more like they would naturally, then bring the net down if needed and start tucking. I'm not sure that will be of any benefit whatsoever, but I can't help messing about to see if anything can be improved.
These users thanked the author sybarite for the post:
Wardrobe Farming (Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:59 pm)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

top evry leading shoot let them veg for a few days then strap the leaders down + fill ya boots. :idea: :rolf: its what i would do see. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:00 pm) • sybarite (Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:26 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”