Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Budget insulation around the tent?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Benjic93

Budget insulation around the tent?

Post by Benjic93 »

Hey guys,

So as I've finished my current grow I'd like to go again through winter but it's freezing!

I left my 400w hps on in there yesterday for 24hr to get an idea of environment and it only peaked at 20c, lowest was 18c. So my leds are out the question throughout winter. I'm trying to avoid using a heater best I can as it's just going cold asoon as it turns off. So its on constantly.

So if needed I'll just have to run autos with a 24hr schedule until it starts warming up maybe in a few months.

I'm trying to find some easy DIY insulation I can put around the tent in my small space. Something I can easily take down went summer comes.

Picture shows my 3x3 in my shed (yes it's a duvet ontop, I panicked)

There's about a 20cm gap from the top of the tent to the roof.

About 10cm each side of the tent from the metal beams.

I have no imagination when it comes to this and I don't want to wait 4/5 months to start up again :( I have a 2x2 on the go in the house buy that has ro come down soon as the NL is finished.

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou. Is it worth it??

ImageImageImageImageImage
These users thanked the author Benjic93 for the post:
Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:05 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Re: Budget insulation around the tent?

Post by MrNice »

Sounds lik a good idea autos with a 24hr schedule
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Benjic93 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:25 pm) • Vador (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 pm)

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

:off-topic:
MrNice wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 pm
Still need some sort of institution though. Temp only peaks at 20c. Have a infared heater but don't want it on 24hr.

Vador
Known User

Post by Vador »

Nice work, you really aught to be looking at your rh as well this time of year, my tent is running so cool with a 250w mh that the fans aren’t even kicking in but it’s playing havoc with the humidity in there, it’s dropping to below 45%, rh is low anyway and the light is just drying it up.
The solution for me was a reptile fogger and small fan on a timer to come on every 15 minutes. You could also use a cheap ultrasonic fogger in a bucket.
As the plants get bigger it shouldn’t be as much of a problem but with seedlings be very careful as you don’t want them drying out.
Lots of people use kingspan to insulate but what you are doing with the duvet will help but will create more of a fire hazard if your not careful.
Another option that might be worth a look is to heat the room the tent is in, just enough to take the chill out of the air
Good luck
These users thanked the author Vador for the post (total 2):
Benjic93 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:07 pm)
░█▒█▒▄▀▄░█▀▄░▄▀▄▒█▀▄
░▀▄▀░█▀█▒█▄▀░▀▄▀░█▀▄

Drugs and Alcohol are never the answer! Unless the question was “what am I doing tonight”.

Nastyhabitz_

Post by Nastyhabitz_ »

Ive just had the same issue i ended up buying kingspan, the rockwool insulation would work also and its cheaper but the fibres would be sucked into your tent through the outake, ask around some local building sites if they have any spare pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Nastyhabitz_ for the post (total 2):
Benjic93 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:41 pm) • Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:08 pm)

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Vador wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 pm
Nice work, you really aught to be looking at your rh as well this time of year, my tent is running so cool with a 250w mh that the fans aren’t even kicking in but it’s playing havoc with the humidity in there, it’s dropping to below 45%, rh is low anyway and the light is just drying it up.
The solution for me was a reptile fogger and small fan on a timer to come on every 15 minutes. You could also use a cheap ultrasonic fogger in a bucket.
As the plants get bigger it shouldn’t be as much of a problem but with seedlings be very careful as you don’t want them drying out.
Lots of people use kingspan to insulate but what you are doing with the duvet will help but will create more of a fire hazard if your not careful.
Another option that might be worth a look is to heat the room the tent is in, just enough to take the chill out of the air
Good luck
Hey man,

I've got a humidifier and dehumidifier hooked up to an inkbird so the RH should be stable enough. I don't think the duvet is doing much of a difference lol. Its difficult to warm the shed the tent is in because there's gaps where the heat escapes and the shed isn't really well insulated itself so it ls freezing in the shed. (Sun trap in the summer, igloo in the winter) Otherwise I'd have the heater running 24hr to keep it slightly warm wich I'm trying to avoid just for the extra electric costs. I was kind of hoping I could kind of box the tent in with insulation but I don't know if I have enough room for it OR it would be sufficient enough.
Stickylemonz (Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:08 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Benjic93 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 pm
MrNice wrote:
Still need some sort of institution though. Temp only peaks at 20c. Have a infared heater but don't want it on 24hr.
Ok seen well get some heavy weight blankets cover the tent keep the heat in with out giving extra heat

I use a room stat in my tent as the room its in has two outside walls which gets quite cold in the winter once the heating goes off can drop to lik 18c so keep the stat set at 20c for night

The stat controls wen the heater on so not running all night comes on and off a few times when ive chked

These users thanked the author MrNice for the post:
Benjic93 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 pm)

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

Nastyhabitz_ wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 pm
Ive just had the same issue i ended up buying kingspan, the rockwool insulation would work also and its cheaper but the fibres would be sucked into your tent through the outake, ask around some local building sites if they have any spare pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does it help? I'm not what would work trying to box only the tent in really. Need to be easy to dismantle when summer months come aswell

Ancient.Soul.Grown

Post by Ancient.Soul.Grown »

Insulation boards make a box and sit tent inside with a small tube heater on a thermostat .... smaller envelope.

Expanding foam... side panels x 4 and a lid.... also highly recommend putting a base in also with an air gap and maybe another board if height allows... looks tight though.

Draw warmed air from smaller envelope into tent and not direct from outside.

I would science the shit outta this hahahahaha

just my thoughts :)

ASG
These users thanked the author Ancient.Soul.Grown for the post (total 3):
Benjic93 (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:50 pm) • Vador (Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:13 pm) • Budgie (Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:00 pm)

Benjic93

Post by Benjic93 »

MrNice wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:42 pm
Benjic93 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 pm
MrNice wrote:
Ok seen well get some heavy weight blankets cover the tent keep the heat in with out giving extra heat

I use a room stat in my tent as the room its in has two outside walls which gets quite cold in the winter once the heating goes off can drop to lik 18c so keep the stat set at 20c for night

The stat controls wen the heater on so not running all night comes on and off a few times when ive chked

You think heavy weight blankets would make much difference? I think the duvet on top is doing fack all but I'm not sure lol. So ideally drape some more blankets down the side? Will need to keep the entrance of the tent clear.Have a temp inkbird to control the heater I just didn't really want to use it.
MrNice (Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:51 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”