Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Air intake method

Ask cannabis and growing related questions

Passive intake or forced?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 am

Passive
82%
Intake fan
18%

Total votes: 11

Wardrobe Farming

Air intake method

Post by Wardrobe Farming »

Looking for a quick vote, do you run a passive intake or do you use a fan?

I have only ever used an extraction fan and let the negative pressure pull fresh air in. I am now considering adding a fan with ducting to allow me to pull warmer air from higher up I the "lung" room (bedroom). This would be in an attempt to try and raise the overall groom temperature.

Thanks.
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post (total 2):
2-Scoops (Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:27 am) • anova.330 (Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:50 pm)

Hmr81

Re: Air intake method

Post by Hmr81 »

I'm exactly the same, we operate two tents connected together so we can share one extraction and filter, I set the speed so thag I get negative pressure on both tents. I've never really seen the need for an intake fan, unless perhaps I wanted to pipe in some ac that way.
These users thanked the author Hmr81 for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:12 am) • Guest (Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:12 pm) • anova.330 (Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:50 pm)
From the Garage of HMR
No Current Grow on, Point5 has the tent and is doing her lovely thing.

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

I only started to run an intake fan when I went up to the 8” extract. I think my tent would collapse in on itself without the intake as well 😂
I do run the smaller tent with just 4” extract, but even with all the passive vents closed, it’s not got the power to create a huge amount of pressure.
The tent with the intake fan has about 5-10% lower rh than the passive tent. Both in the same room 🤷‍♂️
These users thanked the author Ghost_In_A_Jar for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:43 am) • Hmr81 (Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 am) • Guest (Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:11 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

Ghost_In_A_Jar wrote:I only started to run an intake fan when I went up to the 8” extract. I think my tent would collapse in on itself without the intake as well
I do run the smaller tent with just 4” extract, but even with all the passive vents closed, it’s not got the power to create a huge amount of pressure.
The tent with the intake fan has about 5-10% lower rh than the passive tent. Both in the same room
lol
Appreciate all the details. I struggle to keep control of my humidity without constant leaf stripping and a dehumidifier running overtime. So a intake fan might help in that department too. Thanks

These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post:
Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm)

Post by Guest »

I have built my own growing space and sealed it as best I can (although it still needs some work)
I have a fan into my main room, then fan out too.

I then have tents with their own extraction, which only need to tick over at a very low speed.

I passively take air into every tent. The idea being any smoke or plants won't be noticed outside of the main building.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:23 pm) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:44 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:18 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

Wardrobe Farming wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:54 am
Ghost_In_A_Jar wrote:I only started to run an intake fan when I went up to the 8” extract. I think my tent would collapse in on itself without the intake as well
The tent with the intake fan has about 5-10% lower rh than the passive tent. Both in the same room
lol
Appreciate all the details. I struggle to keep control of my humidity without constant leaf stripping and a dehumidifier running overtime. So a intake fan might help in that department too. Thanks
I’ve got a 150x600 rhino pro on the intake fan as well. Just so anything I’m pumping in is as clean as I would like it to be 👍
These users thanked the author Ghost_In_A_Jar for the post (total 2):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:13 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:18 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

if your looking to draw air from specific area, you shouldnt need an intake fun. Just get the ducting and allow the passive draw to suck the air through the duct

thats how i do it anyways and have fans daisy chained through each tent
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 3):
Wardrobe Farming (Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:13 pm) • Guest (Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:44 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:18 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Post by Guest »

GMO wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:08 pm
if your looking to draw air from specific area, you shouldnt need an intake fun. Just get the ducting and allow the passive draw to suck the air through the duct

thats how i do it anyways and have fans daisy chained through each tent
That is a very good point @GMO Nice one.

I have my intake into my main groom area feeding off one of my old filters, this is to stop unwanted organic solvents used by home mechanics etc near by getting in. So I have mine just trickling air in.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:47 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:17 pm)

Wardrobe Farming

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I have added some ducting to the smaller wardrobes intake today . The bigger wardrobe will need a bit more diy to allow ducting to fit tho.
Appreciate all the input from everyone
These users thanked the author Wardrobe Farming for the post (total 2):
GMO (Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:21 pm) • duke (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:17 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”