Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

is thc really the key to potent cannabis?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
duke
Respected Member

is thc really the key to potent cannabis?

Post by duke »

hi all i have had a few conversations here and elsewhere about cannabis and potency and what really makes for a good high,as we all know most seedbanks and the cannabis industry as a whole has used thc percentage as the major measure of a strains potency ,

(allthough often exagerated) but after a few years of smoking oiling and testing various strains i have come to my own conclusions as to what strains work best for myself and my tina for both medicinal and recreational use,
and we have both noticed that the higher thc strains have a strong initial hit but short lived in comparison with some lower thc strains we have tried as an example afghan kush from world of seeds with claimed 24% thc does not work as effectively or for as long as the original afghan1 which is between 10-15%thc and i wondered why this would be?( both strains lab tested)

well after researching a lot and asking questions from the more knowledgable i have found that there is much more to potency than thc levels,the next most harped on about cannabinoid cbd has a role to play but imo its a bit part player and only needed in around 1.5-5% this moderates the anxiety and racyness of thc which is good also cbd makes the high last longer,but

there are another 50 odd cannabinoids we yet know very little about,also what i believe in time will be shown to be much bigger effects both medicinal and in potency and longevity of effect are the numerous terpenes and terpenoids these are also what gives the smells and tastes we associate with various cannabis strains these have had little research specific to cannabis but are well understood from scientific studies of foods and herbs etc that all have the same basic terpenes and terpenoids some of which are discused below in an interesting post i copied from elsewhere link to source this i think shows we need a rethink in https://www.zamnesia.com/blog-flavonoid ... noids-n301 how we catagorise potency of cannabis and should not be blind following the sheeple but be brave and explore the old whilst being mindful of the hype around the newer strains the following is cut n paste from a good friend elsewhere since sadly departed this world :puff puff: ,peace

Each strain has its own aroma and effect. This unique signature is not only the result of cannabinoids, but also due to lesser known molecules: The flavonoids, terpenes, terpenoids.

Some strains are sedating, some energizing, some take your spirit to the land of euphoria, some are perfectly apt as a natural painkiller, some spill a bucket of inspiration in your head and some provide a bit of all of the above. But it’s not only the cannabinoids that are responsible for these different effects - lesser known molecules known as flavonoids and terpenoids play a huge role in the overall aroma and effect of a strain.

Often, the overall quality of a strain is measured by its THC content, and of course, a few tokes of some fine weed with a good load of THC will get you high. But it reveals an approach overly focused on one single compound - THC in this case. This same fixation can be found across the pharmacological landscape, it is the obsession with the „active ingredient“. Wether it’s THC or vitamin C - much of the work over the last century has been about isolating the active compound and stripping it from its natural environment. And there are good reasons for this; it allows for more precise dosage and standardization of quality. Research is easier with just one compound, cutting out the noise of complex natural systems. And lastly, isolation of active compounds allows for processes to be turned profitable, which is much more difficult with natural preparations.

Everyone agrees that good bud is more than just a THC level. At this point, cannabinoids have become well known and CBD became the second most important „active ingredient“. But what this approach hides, is that a good smoke is much more about an intricate balance between all ingredients, rather than a single percentage of an isolated compound. This is particularly true in the case of a very complex plant like cannabis, which produces well over 220 compounds. About 85 of those are cannabinoids, and another 120 are so called terpenes and some 20 are flavonoids.

WHAT ARE FLAVONOIDS?

The unique smell and flavor of a cannabis strain is produced in part by its flavonoids, the aromatic molecules. Some flavonoids, like quercetin, luteolin and kaempferol, naturally appear in many different plants. But flavonoids that are unique to cannabis are called cannaflavins, and they don’t just smell good, they are pharmacologically active. For example, cannaflavin A has been found to to reduce inflammation by inhibiting the inflammatory molecule PGE-2, and it does this 30 times more effectively than aspirin.

Similar to CBD, flavonoids also modulate the effects of THC. Through complex biochemical mechanisms, flavonoids interact on many different sites in the body. Some interact with estrogen receptors, others act as potent antioxidants or inhibit enzymatic processes.

WHAT ARE TERPENES AND TERPENOIDS?

Terpenes appear naturally and abundantly in humans, plants and animals, often to deter parasites. Similarly to flavonoids, terpenes also emit a strong smell and flavor. Terpenes are volatile molecules that evaporate easily and contribute to the aroma of the buds. Research has discovered that terpenes are psychoactive and contribute to the overall effect of a strain. They show a wide range of effects, including sedation, anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, and many more. Perhaps surprisingly, up to 30% of cannabis smoke is composed of terpenes and terpenoids.

The difference between terpenes and terpenoids is that terpenes are simple hydrocarbons, while terpenoids consist of additional functional groups. In nature, simple hydrocarbons like terpenes are often the building blocks for larger and more complex molecules, such as steroids, pigments and vitamins. In cannabis, terpenes and THC share a biochemical precursor, geranyl pyrophosphate, which is developed in the resin glands of the plant and then evolves into the cannabinoids and terpenes.

Just like many other strong-smelling flowers and plants, cannabis develops those terpenes to attract beneficial insects and to repel predators. Many factors, including the climate, weather, maturity level of the plant, the used fertilizers, the soil type the plant grows in and even the time of day have influence on a plant's development of terpenes.

The great variety of aromas in cannabis strains is already impressive, but the most fascinating property of terpenes is their ability to interact with the other active compounds in the plant. Terpenes can modify how much THC passes through the blood-brain barrier. But their influence reaches even as far as to regulate neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, altering their rate of production and decomposition, their movement and availability to receptors.

While well over 100 different terpenes and terpenoids have been identified in cannabis, we are summarizing below some of the most prominent ones. Here a short list of terpenes, their aroma and medicinal benefits.

Borneol

Aroma: Spicy, menthol, camphor
Effects: Sedative, calming
Medical value: Used in traditional Chinese medicine as moxa, also to reduce stress.
Also found in: Cinnamon, galanga, and wormwood
Strains high in Borneol: The church, Diamond Girl, Green-o-matic

Carene

Aroma: Sweet, cedar, pungent
Effects: Unknown
Medical value: In aromatherapy used to dry excess fluids, tears, running noses, excess menstrual flow and perspiration
Also found in: Cedar, pine, rosemary
Strains high in Carene: El Niño, Lemon Skunk, King’s Kush

Caryophyllene

Aroma: Spicy, warm, sweet, woody
Effects: Unknown
Medical value: anti-inflammatory and analgesic. In high doses a calcium and potassium ion channel blocker. One of the compounds that contributes to the spiciness of black pepper.
Also found in: Black pepper, hops, lavender, rosemary, cloves, oregano.
Strains high in Caryophyllene: Arjans Haze #2, Super Silver Haze, Nevilles Haze

Eucalyptol

Aroma: Spicy, minty, camphor
Effects: Centering, balancing and stimulating
Medical value: Used as a cough suppressant. Antibacterial, used in mouthwash and body powder.
Also found in: Rosemary, sage, wormwood, basil, tea tree, camphor laurel
Strains high in Eucalyptol: Kings Kush, ChemDawg, Bubba Kush

Limonene

Aroma: Sour, citrus (lemon, orange, grapefruit)
Effects: Uplifting, refreshing
Medical value: Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-carcinogenic, enhances the mood
Also found in: Citrus fruits, rosemary, peppermint
Strains high in limonene: OG Kush, Damn Sour, Diamond Girl, Super Lemon Haze, Jack the Ripper, Lemon Skunk

Linalool

Aroma: Sweet, flowery, citrus, candy like
Effects: Uplifting and sedating
Medical value: Helps with anxiety, elevates the mood
Also found in: Over 200 plants produce linalool; Lavender, mints, rosewood, citrus fruits, birch trees, and even some fungi.
Strains high in linalool: Amnesia Haze, Grape Ape, G-13, Lavender, Deep Purple, LA Confidential

Myrcene

Aroma: Sweet, fruity, green vegetative, tropical, earthy
Effects: Sedation and relaxation
Medical value: Antimicrobial, antiseptic, analgesic, antioxidant, anti-carcinogenic, elevates the mood.
Myrcene is also found in: Mango, hops, lemon grass, thyme, guava, East Indian bay tree, verbena and mercia
Strains high in myrcene: White Rhino, Sweet Mango Auto, K. Train, El Niño, Skunk #1, White Widow

Pinene

Aroma: Pine
Effects: Mental Focus, alertness, aids memory, counteracts some of the effects of THC
Medical value: Bronchodilator, helps with asthma, acts antiseptic, antibiotic, insect repellant
Also found in: Pine needles, rosemary, basil, parsley, dill
Strains high in pinene: Trainwreck, Cheese, ChemDawg, Super Critical, Jack Herer, Bubba Kush, Super Silver Haze

Terpineol

Aroma: Sweet, floral, citrus, lilac
Effects: Strongly physically relaxing, responsible for the couchlock?
Medical value: Unknown
Also found in: Apple blossoms, orange
Strains high in Terpineol: Money Maker, White Rhino, Superbud

also found this interesting article worth reading through peace all :dance: https://sensiseeds.com/en/blog/what-are ... inal-uses/
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 8):
TTL (Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:01 pm) • Treetrunk (Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm) • Guest (Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 pm) • Rassensi (Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:06 pm) • Keeno (Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm) • TommyT (Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:25 pm) • Captain Beefheart (Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:08 pm) • Nom (Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38 am)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

Re: is thc really the key to potent cannabis?

Post by Guest »

Secondary Metabolites
The Entourage Effect
Endless Cannabinoids of which we haven't discovered yet.

Lovely jubbly, right up my street, thanks for a good read :oik!:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Keeno (Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

TommyT
Known User

Post by TommyT »

Very cool write up.
Nice information.
It would be really cool if breeders started putting the top terpenes and terpenoids on there websites describing the seeds.
These users thanked the author TommyT for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 pm) • duke (Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 pm) • Wayne36 (Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:28 pm)
Purple Punch From Seedstockers
The other day when I was high I solved one of the world's greatest problems.
Unfortunately five minutes later I forgot what I was doing.

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

well duke bach i been tooting dope a while now,ive grown them all shapes sizes + colours the trich`s i mean....but im old skool duke and uncle dewi taught me to take them about a week after seeing cloudy trich`s ....he swore thats the finest high ewe get from the plant. i live by that rule + i like a shiny nug to. :puff puff: i guess its horses for courses bach. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 pm) • duke (Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 pm) • Wayne36 (Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:29 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

TommyT wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:29 pm
Very cool write up.
Nice information.
It would be really cool if breeders started putting the top terpenes and terpenoids on there websites describing the seeds.
Dinafem and Humboldt started before their troubles. With lab results. I agree more should. You can still view the strain info on their sites even if you cant buy atm.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
TommyT (Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:33 pm) • duke (Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 pm)

TommyT
Known User

Post by TommyT »

Keeno wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:10 pm
TommyT wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:29 pm
Very cool write up.
Nice information.
Dinafem and Humboldt started before their troubles with lab results. I agree more should. You can still view the strain info on their sites even if you cant buy atm.
That is very cool!
I pulled this off Dinafem's site. https://www.dinafem.org/en/bubba-kush-dinafem/

These users thanked the author TommyT for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:59 pm) • Guest (Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:18 pm) • duke (Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”