Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

When do you start counting that you're in flower?

Ask cannabis and growing related questions
Hydro
Known User

Re: When do you start counting that you're in flower?

Post by Hydro »

Just like most I don’t take any notice of the packs but I’ve always counted from the first morning after sticking it in to flower ... ie after it’s first night of 12hours darkness
These users thanked the author Hydro for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:17 pm)

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

I go from the day after I flip to 12/12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
These users thanked the author MommaB for the post:
wutang (Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:59 pm)
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Do you guys usually find that the "flowering time" that seedbanks state are short generally and usually they take a bit longer than what they state. I'm obviously going with trichcome colours but its worth knowing if the additional duration was caused by me and the environmental factors or whether seedbanks just state a shorter time. Who doesn't love a quick crop ey

Cave Hill Cole
Known User

Post by Cave Hill Cole »

wutang wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 pm
Do you guys usually find that the "flowering time" that seedbanks state are short generally and usually they take a bit longer than what they state.
There's a lot of different factors that go into it (type of light, growing conditions, if the plant was stressed in bloom etc.), like most things I don't think that there is a black and white answer to that question, it comes down to first hand experience with a particular pheno. I will say that every auto flower I ever grew, never even came close to the flowering time it said on the pack. But I have found photo periods to be closer to the flowering times the breeder states. But its funny, some times a breeder will state a predicted flowering time for one strain in the catalogue and then another strain they carry will be completely blank when it comes to flowering time...which again leads me to think some cultivars will have a more predictable harvest time than others. Which makes total sense when growing hybrids. Some phenos of the same genotype will be early, others late, I see this all the time. I have heard some people say never believe the harvest times a breeder list's...I personally don't agree with that at all. Yes the plant isn't a microwave meal, done when it says on the packet....but I tend to use it as a guide to a harvest window, and harvest the plant according to my own personal preferences.

Things that let me know I am in the harvest window include: plant drinking less water, a dry feel to the trichomes when rub them between your fingers, the over smell of the plant (they get a stronger odor at the end), natural senescence (yellowing and dying of the leaves), bud weight and density (when the buds cant support themselves you know your close) and yes of course trichome colour. To me, sometimes a plant looks almost like its glowing at the end to me, because of the opaque trichomes.

Anyway that's my 10cents and little extra haha
These users thanked the author Cave Hill Cole for the post (total 2):
wutang (Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:32 am) • 2-Scoops (Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:53 pm)
Weed will get me through times of no money, better than money will get me through times of no weed - Robert Sabbag, Smoke Screen

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Cave Hill Cole wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:44 am
wutang wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 pm
Do you guys usually find that the "flowering time" that seedbanks state are short generally and usually they take a bit longer than what they state.
There's a lot of different factors that go into it (type of light, growing conditions, if the plant was stressed in bloom etc.), like most things I don't think that there is a black and white answer to that question, it comes down to first hand experience with a particular pheno. I will say that every auto flower I ever grew, never even came close to the flowering time it said on the pack. But I have found photo periods to be closer to the flowering times the breeder states. But its funny, some times a breeder will state a predicted flowering time for one strain in the catalogue and then another strain they carry will be completely blank when it comes to flowering time...which again leads me to think some cultivars will have a more predictable harvest time than others. Which makes total sense when growing hybrids. Some phenos of the same genotype will be early, others late, I see this all the time. I have heard some people say never believe the harvest times a breeder list's...I personally don't agree with that at all. Yes the plant isn't a microwave meal, done when it says on the packet....but I tend to use it as a guide to a harvest window, and harvest the plant according to my own personal preferences.

Things that let me know I am in the harvest window include: plant drinking less water, a dry feel to the trichomes when rub them between your fingers, the over smell of the plant (they get a stronger odor at the end), natural senescence (yellowing and dying of the leaves), bud weight and density (when the buds cant support themselves you know your close) and yes of course trichome colour. To me, sometimes a plant looks almost like its glowing at the end to me, because of the opaque trichomes.

Anyway that's my 10cents and little extra haha
Thanks dude. All good stuff and very informative. I guess looking at the plants everyday also make it feel slower than it already is haha hopefully Im near the end and trichomes are mainly cloudy and hardly any signs of amber on the bud areas. Unless stopping the nutes too early has stopped the trichomes from progressing completely. :idn: we will see.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

wutang wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:14 am
Unless stopping the nutes too early has stopped the trichomes from progressing completely. :idn: we will see.
When the trichomes start to 'go milky / cloudy', they are starting to oxidise and that is when they are at peak THC strength.

Fast forward a couple of weeks...

Amber trichomes means they have oxidised (or degraded whatever way some folks want to look at it) the THC into other compounds such as CBN, so the plants will have a lower THC content cause it's been converted into other goodies.

I chop when the plant is at full ripeness... clear/turning cloudy for higher levels of THC, some say it make the dope 'racy'... It's just stronger, more psychoactive.

But yeah I class 1st day of flower from when I flip the lights into flower timing.

Everyone harvests at different times, so there could be a 3 week gap between when I would chop a plant and when someone else would.

It's all personal preference.

Breeders are selling us a product, so most of their fluff is marketing and hype. Take with a pinch of salt. (or calmag)

:dance:

But... :idn:
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 2):
wutang (Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:02 am) • Cave Hill Cole (Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

So if plants stressed out in bloom yes its gonna knock it back a wee bit i get with that, but are you @Chad.Westport & @Cave Hill Cole saying summink like shock will add to flowering times. Where as i was of the thinking if plant gets stressed in bloom yes it will knock plant back a bit, but i didn`t think it was meant in same way being mentioned in this thread, basically i thought generally they will still finish around the same time in a cloudy/amber trichome sense its just that the said shock will knock plant back and lower the final yield but plant will still finish around similar time of those 10 weeks that it would have done whether it`s stressed in bloom a wee bit or grown in ideal conditions. It`s how ive seen it go down in a few or more grows in times gone by.

Basicaly if im understanding it right @Cave Hill Cole in a roundabout way you seem to be saying potentially if im growing a 10week bloom strain and knock it back a bit or stall it growing/budding up altogether with shock of some sort, lets take cold temps as example stalling plant in full bloom for 4 or 5 of those 10 weeks then potentially that plant could take 14 or 15 weeks to finish ? I really didn`t think it works in that way in all honesty :idn:

I mean i know theirs a few week window at chop time when you could let plant go a few more weeks if you was to run into problems like this but trichs will be cooked a wee bit more obviously. Cheers guys. 8-)
Last edited by 2-Scoops on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
wutang (Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:23 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:09 pm
So if plants stressed out in bloom yes its gonna knock it back a wee bit i get with that, but you @Chad.Westport & @Cave Hill Cole seem to be saying it will add to flowering time according to a 1 or 2 posts i read in topic. Where as i was of the thinking if plant gets stressed in bloom yes it will knock plant back a bit, but i didn`t think it was meant in same way being mentioned in this thread, basically i thought generally they will still finish around the same time in a cloudy/amber trichome sense its just that the said shock will knock plant back and lower the final yield but plant will still finish around similar time of those 10 weeks that it would have done whether it`s stressed in bloom a wee bit or grown in ideal conditions. It`s how ive seen it go down in a few or more grows in times gone by.

Basicaly if im understanding it right you guys seem to be saying potentially if im growing a 10week bloom strain and knock it back a bit or stall it growing/budding up altogether with shock of some sort, lets take cold temps as example stalling plant in full bloom for 4 or 5 of those 10 weeks then potentially that plant could take 14 or 15 weeks to finish ? I really didn`t think it works in that way in all honesty :idn:

I mean i know theirs a few week window at chop time when you could let plant go a few more weeks if you was to run into a probklem like this but trichs will be cooked a wee bit more obviously. Cheers guys. 8-)
Thanks @2-Scoops

If I use the theory that flowering starts after pistils start to show or as Keeno said the "crown" forming, then the flowering time indicated from the seedbank seems to be pretty much accurate(ish) or add a week or 2 on.

Both plants have been stressed a bit, so I'm still keeping an eye on trichome colours and I have yet to see ambers on budsites. I'm entering week 12 from the switch to 12/12.

My white widow looks ready and has heavy cloudy/partial clear trichomes covered, it was more of a hardy plant..and buds are huge.

Where as my Haze which is Sativa Dom is taking a while (as Sativas do naturally) and the buds are still getting bigger in Week 12. I still see white pistils on the two top colas ( I LST'd) and ambering pistils around the buds..rest of the bud sites don't have many white pistils left. Trichomes are still clear to cloudy but more clear.

Its nice to see mixed views in regards to this from different people as I was under the impression that stressing the plants can slow growth but eventually get there..but I also get even if its finished, yields are reduced.

I guess there is no fixed answer and it varies from strain to strain.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:37 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:31 pm
2-Scoops wrote:
So if plants stressed out in bloom yes its gonna knock it back a wee bit i get with that, but you @Chad.Westport & @Cave Hill Cole seem to be saying it will add to flowering time according to a 1 or 2 posts i read in topic. Where as i was of the thinking if plant gets stressed in bloom yes it will knock plant back a bit, but i didn`t think it was meant in same way being mentioned in this thread, basically i thought generally they will still finish around the same time in a cloudy/amber trichome sense its just that the said shock will knock plant back and lower the final yield but plant will still finish around similar time of those 10 weeks that it would have done whether it`s stressed in bloom a wee bit or grown in ideal conditions. It`s how ive seen it go down in a few or more grows in times gone by.

Basicaly if im understanding it right you guys seem to be saying potentially if im growing a 10week bloom strain and knock it back a bit or stall it growing/budding up altogether with shock of some sort, lets take cold temps as example stalling plant in full bloom for 4 or 5 of those 10 weeks then potentially that plant could take 14 or 15 weeks to finish ? I really didn`t think it works in that way in all honesty :idn:

I mean i know theirs a few week window at chop time when you could let plant go a few more weeks if you was to run into a probklem like this but trichs will be cooked a wee bit more obviously. Cheers guys. 8-)
Thanks @2-Scoops

If I use the theory that flowering starts after pistils start to show or as Keeno said the "crown" forming, then the flowering time indicated from the seedbank seems to be pretty much accurate(ish) or add a week or 2 on.

Both plants have been stressed a bit, so I'm still keeping an eye on trichome colours and I have yet to see ambers on budsites. I'm entering week 12 from the switch to 12/12.

My white widow looks ready and has heavy cloudy/partial clear trichomes covered, it was more of a hardy plant..and buds are huge.

Where as my Haze which is Sativa Dom is taking a while (as Sativas do naturally) and the buds are still getting bigger in Week 12. I still see white pistils on the two top colas ( I LST'd) and ambering pistils around the buds..rest of the bud sites don't have many white pistils left. Trichomes are still clear to cloudy but more clear.

Its nice to see mixed views in regards to this from different people as I was under the impression that stressing the plants can slow growth but eventually get there..but I also get even if its finished, yields are reduced.

I did read once upon a time that on certain sativa heavy strains like some hazes are trichomes dont always amber up and will stay milky on plant. Not sure if its right or not. :idn: I grew Freddy`s Best once upon a time which went 14 weeks and still trichs were all milky. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
wutang (Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:54 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:52 pm
wutang wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:31 pm
2-Scoops wrote:

Thanks @2-Scoops

I did read once upon a time that on certain sativa heavy strains like some hazes are trichomes dont always amber up and will stay milky on plant. Not sure if its right or not. :idn: I grew Freddy`s Best once upon a time which went 14 weeks and still trichs were all milky. 8-)
I read the same too..but if it was just one plant then I'd be like yep they aren't going to amber up both two different strains with different hybrid ratios, Ill put that down to me,the timings, stress and flushing way to early :idn:

All a part of the process of growing these beauties
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:14 pm)

Return to “Cannabis And Growing Q&A Room”