Welcome to the cannabis questions and answers room. This section is here for you to ask or answer questions regarding cannabis and growing cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

HPS heat

Get help fixing cannabis deficiencies and issues
The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Re: HPS heat

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Smokey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:11 pm
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:59 pm
kbag wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 pm
Well i think the best option's would be either to upgrade your led or buy a digital dimmable ballast. You can buy a omega digital ballast ,shade, and bulb for £80. This then gives you option of running either a 250w bulb 400w or even 600w .The omega has 5 year guarantee and i have never heard of issues of interference with modern day digital ballast's.
As for led lighting i know my prakasa 300w would out perform a 250w hps hands down, i would but it on a par with a 400w yield wise with better quality bud imo. Oh and a lot cooler to run making it cheaper as the fans do not need to work so hard as often to cool.
Food thought Aspie but summer is virtually here.
I have a Dutch barn shade (for the CFL) so that's a little money saved. I know I won't be able to go 600w, but could get away with 400w ONLY IF I am on 12/12 as that will be the same as running my 200w for 24 hours, but as I mainly grow autos a 400w will be rarely used.

I have a Spider COB, but that's a little more louder than the Mars II 400w and didn't find any extra in yield.

I do like LEDs, but the fans annoy me. I can hear the noise of the LED fans more than I can hear the extractor fan.

I just don't want to fork out on something that I won't be able to use. Money is tight as it is, so I have to get it right first time.
unfortunately Aspie mate these systems no matter how big or small all come with noise attached through lights, fans, heaters, timers, air pumps etc even when using acoustic ducting and silencers wherever possible doesn't eliminate the white noise these systems naturally create and after all I'm sure in time you would adjust and it would just be something you would get used to, no victory without struggle mate
Hi mate,
CFLs are silent, and music to the ears. I would have thought that HPS are also silent as there are no fans built in them.

I don't use a timer as such. I have it plugged in, but turn it on and off manually as it's quieter than flicking the switch.

I don't use air pumps either - soil grow.

I think I'll stick with what I have for now.

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Donks
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Donks »

kbag wrote:
Well i think the best option's would be either to upgrade your led or buy a digital dimmable ballast. You can buy a omega digital ballast ,shade, and bulb for £80. This then gives you option of running either a 250w bulb 400w or even 600w .The omega has 5 year guarantee and i have never heard of issues of interference with modern day digital ballast's.
As for led lighting i know my prakasa 300w would out perform a 250w hps hands down, i would but it on a par with a 400w yield wise with better quality bud imo. Oh and a lot cooler to run making it cheaper as the fans do not need to work so hard as often to cool.
Very few people know how to check for rfid so that equals very few complaints. I bought a digital ballast & tested for interference and it was really bad, i have used magnetic since with no issues.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Buddonkey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 pm
kbag wrote:
Very few people know how to check for rfid so that equals very few complaints. I bought a digital ballast & tested for interference and it was really bad, i have used magnetic since with no issues.
Analogue ballast's emit so much heat though they can even burn wooden floors carpets etc they get HOT HOT and in all honesty i have never once experienced or even heard of someones digital ballast interfering with any other electrical device and i know a hell of a lot of people that use digital ballasts far more than i don't in fact zero lol i'm not saying im right and your wrong we all learn here but i do know a digital ballast if far more economical than an analogue one silent and no heat emmision is an added bonus
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

Donks
Been thanked: 0

Post by Donks »

Smokey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 pm
Buddonkey wrote:
kbag wrote:
Analogue ballast's emit so much heat though they can even burn wooden floors carpets etc they get HOT HOT and in all honesty i have never once experienced or even heard of someones digital ballast interfering with any other electrical device and i know a hell of a lot of people that use digital ballasts far more than i don't in fact zero lol i'm not saying im right and your wrong we all learn here but i do know a digital ballast if far more economical than an analogue one silent and no heat emmision is an added bonus
Have you ever checked for rfid? Are you saying you have never heard of it?

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Buddonkey wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 12:15 am
Smokey wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 11:48 pm
Buddonkey wrote:

Have you ever checked for rfid? Are you saying you have never heard of it?
i honestly haven't mate and thats why i said we are all learning here i did however google rfid after the post and i now understand but i haven't personally noticed any effects within my household whilst using dimmable ballast's it was in no way aggressive mate

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

In my opinion spider cobs are much louder and run hotter than Prakasa. 200 prakasa can be used as 100w ans 300w prakasa can be used as 150w.
I've never heard that timers are loud? There are electrical ones but then my Lumii timer is no louder than a PC mouse click.

I think what Smokey is trying to say is that Digital dimmable ballasts are safer to use and don't interfere with anything in the house or your neighbours house, unless he is using some high tech alien communication devices. I personally used Lumatek and Omega and I have old school radio player right next to the Lumatek ans it never had any problems.:)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

I have everything plugged into an extension cable. If the light was directly plugged into said cable, there's a loud clicking noise. To overcome this, I've inserted a digital timer, and turn the lights on/off using that, as it's far more quieter than the on/off switch on the extension. I didn't say that the timer was noisy, although some are (they tick)

hotshot

Post by hotshot »

I would go with the 400W HPS, you can buy a 250W MH and HPS bulb for the 3/4 setting, and you still have the 400W if you deciede to use them. JMO

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

hotshot wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 pm
I would go with the 400W HPS, you can buy a 250W MH and HPS bulb for the 3/4 setting, and you still have the 400W if you deciede to use them. JMO
Thanks, mate.
I'm holding off atm. It looks like an inline fan will be needed, and I don't have the room etc for that as well. CHM lights sound like the bee's knees but I think there will be the same issues.

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I have another idea Asp that coukd help you bulk up mate, why don't you put a few auto dwarfes under the polly they would grow and use the space identical to a stinging nettle patch you could easily grow 3or 4 under the poly and use hardly any extra space i have a few auto dwarf seeds i could send you if that would help fella ?

Just a thought

Smokes :Stoned:

Return to “Cannabis Issues And Questions”